Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rburny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Craftsman lawn tractor 19.5 Briggs twin engine won't start.
    Hello,

Last time I used this mower was about 3 months ago, ran it out of gas and left
    It (covered). Tried to start it yesterday after putting in about 3 gallons of new gas
    And it will crank fine but not start.. I took off the air cleaner and trickled in a bit of gas
    And it started to run and then dies again. I cranked it enough and then checked the large bolt of the right side of the carb (looking at the mower from the front) and gas came out and then I inspected the little cover where the fuel line plugs in and it has the small spring and rubber diapham and it looked OK, I then took the top of the carb off and it had gas in it and I checked the float and needle... I put in a bit more gas into the bowl and set the float down and tightened the top of the carb and tried to start and nothing... but a bit more down the carb and it starts for a moment until that fuel I put in manually runs out. When I had the top off I used my air nozzle and tried to push air in the various holes... still no go.

Somehow the gas is not getting from the bowl into the throat of the carb, oh yeah I pulled the needle jet out and made sure it was clean.

Somewhere in my mind I'm thinking something is plugged. I know it's getting gas into the bowl , I also tried cranking it with the carb top off and the gas shot up through the port that goes to the needle on the float.. OK there.

Any Ideas? Short of removing the carb completely and maybe getting a gasket kit and clean the heck out of it? I know some about engines but have never rebuilt carbs...

Thanks for any help!

Rob
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Clean the heck out of it, as you presumed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn tractor engine won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I've already swapped out the solenoid. No luck. Battery is good. I "think" I checked all the ground connections and safety switches. Problem is when the key is turned on the engine turns once... then slows to a stop... it may go over again.. but it won't go long or fast enough to start......

Craftsman lawn tractor model 917270910 won't start [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor model number 917270910. It will not start. I tried a new battery even though the one on it checked out okay. It will not even turn over. I replaced the fuse but the original looked fine. What else should I do?

Craftsman lawn tractor engine knock on startup [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Craftsman 12 hp Briggs 38 in lawn tractor that has just developed a bad engine knock on starting, and sometimes at shutoff. Knocking goes away once running up to speed, and it seems to run smooth, with good power. Oil level is up, etc. What's the problem, is it a major engine...

Craftsman Lawn tractor engine dies [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (model #917-257481). The engine dies when I pull out the PTO switch to engage the mower. Have replaced PTO switch and the "clutch" switch. It still does it. I can hear the PTO engage. With the new "clutch" switch installed it also dies when you let out the clutch. I...

View more questions Search