Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 19, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    What if the bible was inspired by Hades to lure you away from the worship and the truth of Zeus. Do you not think that a god is not capable of fooling man? How do you know what god inspired man to write the bible? There are so many gods that man has lost count. The point is you don't know for sure it takes faith in something impossible and you believe it because it's what your parents believed and what their parents before them believed. If you were born in a muslim house hold you would be muslim and would be talking about how the koran is the truth. This blind faith is why you can't use the bible as a historical text because once you start allowing religious text as historical fact its a slippery slope.

I don't agree at all... you are talking about all god's collectively as if they are one... there is only one true God and that God inspired the Bible... the Bible is so much more of an historical text than a world history testbook from college... I believe what I believe because I have personally experienced a loving and true God in my life, not from generation past... I believe what I believe because all the prophesies of the Old Testament were fulfilled in the New Testament... the Bible is a seamless account written by mulitple authors that don't contradict one another and were inspired by God... you ask for proof, read, study, and pray about the Bible and you will receive the proof you need!
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Google "bible contradictions" and read all the contradictions in the bible. You say that believe in the bible because you have personally experienced a loving and true god, but could you not say that all the bad things in your life is Zeus punishing you for not believing in him and the rewards are Hades keeping you from the truth that is Zeus?

You say you think for yourself but have you read the Koran? I'd make large wager that you simply follow the dogma that you were taught when you were young and never did any research to why you believe what you do or why so many of us don't.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Couldn't it be that jesus wasn't dead he was just too tired from being nailed to the cross to move and that his body had shut down into a deep sleep and when people went to his grave they found he wasn't dead because he had woken up and was shouting for help, and because everybody thought he was dead the only way they could explain it was to say he had been resurected

Sep 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    couldnt it be that jesus wasnt dead he was just too tired from being nailed to the cross to move and that his body had shut down into a deep sleep and when people went to his grave they found he wasnt dead because he had woken up and was shouting for help, and because everybody thought he was dead the only way they could explain it was to say he had been resurected

Really?? NO!
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Why not

Sep 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Google "bible contradictions" and read all the contradictions in the bible. You say that believe in the bible because you have personally experienced a loving and true god, but could you not say that all the bad things in your life is Zeus punishing you for not believing in him and the rewards are Hades keeping you from the truth that is Zeus?

You say you think for yourself but have you read the Koran? I'd make large wager that you simply follow the dogma that you were taught when you were young and never did any research to why you believe what you do or why so many of us don't.

You make it seem like I am sheep aimlessly wandering and blindly following... I have research, explored, questioned, did it on my own, walk different walks, etc... but the only thing that has saved me is believing in God and Jesus' sacrifice, that is my truth and light.

Zeus or any other god is not punishing me... we live in a fallen world (Genesis) full of sin and bads things are going to happen... all that matters is who you depend on or look to when those times happen..

Are you saying that you follow and believe in Zeus or is that just your example to try and prove a point?

Sep 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Of course, I don't believe in Zeus almost no one does. Zeus is an example of a once powerful god which millions of people believed in and over time he simply fell out of style. What makes your god different than Zeus? I have no problem with you taking your religion on faith it is when you try to pass it off as fact that we disagree.

There is one quote that I like people of religion to ponder “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” [Stephen F Roberts].

Sep 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
    There is one quote that I like people of religion to ponder “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” [Stephen F Roberts].[/QUOTE]

Because my God said/commanded "to have no other gods before me" and out of obedience and reverance for Him I follow that command.

Sep 19, 2007, 03:00 PM
    The point of the quote is to make you think why you do you believe in your god but not others what proof do you have that your god is a better god then that of any other religion.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Sep 19, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    couldnt it be that jesus wasnt dead he was just too tired from being nailed to the cross to move and that his body had shut down into a deep sleep and when people went to his grave they found he wasnt dead because he had woken up and was shouting for help, and because everybody thought he was dead the only way they could explain it was to say he had been resurected
    If you believe that Jesus was crucified, then there should be no doubt that he died on the cross. A Roman guard thrusted a spear in to His side after he died.

John 19:33-35 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. 35The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    If you believe that Jesus was crucified, then there should be no doubt that he died on the cross. A Roman guard thrusted a spear in to His side after he died.

John 19:33-35 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. 35The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe.

I was answering the question, I didn't resort to the bible
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
    What if the bible was inspired by Hades to lure you away from the worship and the truth of Zeus. Do you not think that a god is not capable of fooling man? How do you know what god inspired man to write the bible? There are so many gods that man has lost count. The point is you don't know for sure it takes faith in something impossible and you believe it because it's what your parents believed and what their parents before them believed. If you were born in a muslim house hold you would be muslim and would be talking about how the koran is the truth. This blind faith is why you can't use the bible as a historical text because once you start allowing religious text as historical fact its a slippery slope.
    You are right. I don't use the Bible as a historical text. Or to compete with science. Those are beneath it. And it does take faith, and no amount of proof or arguing is going to convince someone to believe. It would be a weak God to rely on humans to win Him converts.

The whole point is LOVE. Nothing science or history can prove.

Now some may view what happened to Jesus as some sort of cosmic child abuse, but He took the consequences for sinners, of which I am the worst [ to paraphrase Paul].

Grace and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search