Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakea222 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Hit and run on private property
    I work at a country club and one of my culinary staff was backed into by a member and the member did not stop. The club mgt (president and high adm) said that they would "take care of it" - now they are telling her to claim it on her insurance... First that was hard to understand how they could tell her they would :take care of it" and now to claim it - but they know the person that did it and he denied, and now my employee is ahving to deal with it herself - is this right - I would think that the minute they said to her "they would take care of it" that would legally mean something. Any advice here friends?? :)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Did she get the license number? It was a hit and run and I would report it as such. The crappy thing is that she will most likely lose her job when the cops start asking questions and the management has to identify the member.
    jakea222 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
    I think they did i.d. the car with the guy of course denying anything - I guess my real question is the liability of the club and what they are liable for by saying they will "take care of it"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 09:05 PM
    No, she does not take care of it theirself, they report it to their own insurance who will contact and most liekly sue the "member" driver.

I think what management was saying is that the member is more important, and if they do anything to sue the member, most likely they will get fired for some other reason.
    No the club has no liablity, the employee should not have listened to them to start with but merely reported it as they are normally required to do in any accident
    JRSOBX Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Should have called the police. Even on private property the cops will typically make an incident report which the insurance adjusters will want.

Even on private property, hit and run is illegal. Depending on your state, if they fire you after something like that you might be able to file a complaint with the labor board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accident on Private Property [ 6 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident when I was visiting another persons house. Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. We didn't contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could...

Hit and run [ 3 Answers ]

HI While my car was parked at a shopping centre it was bumped by another vehicle,the driver of the vehicle did not leave any details,I got cctv footage from a petrol station Nearby showing the incident,this vehicle stopped at petrol station before it bumped My vehicle,I can see vehicle leave...

Hit And Run [ 9 Answers ]

I was recently accused by neighbor of colliding with his car and crushing his door with my hitch on my bumper. Both cars were examined by the inscurance company but there was no damage to my vehicle nor any witnesses to the incident. The inscurance company has closed the file because of no physical...

No insurance on private property. [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a moving truck, at time of rental I purchased insurance through the rental agency. I was involved in an accident at a gas station in Ohio. I was making a right turn out of the station and I had my right turn signal on. This guy pulls up on my right side, in my blind spot. I did not see...

Landlord Claiming Tenant Responsible for Hit and Run [ 7 Answers ]

Hello! To explain my situation I have rented since October a nice townhome in a quiet neighborhood. I pay my rent electronically so it has NEVER been late. I also keep my home clean and have never made a complaint or had a complaint. Yesterday I returned from work and after entering the garage and...

View more questions Search