Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Sep 17, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Alberto Gonzales
    Hello
    I'm not really big on politics or anything, and don't know much about it. But today I saw a comic that had Alberto Gonzales pointing at himself in the mirror and yelling "you're fired!" into the mirror. This confuses me. I know Bush is replacing him with Michael Mukasey, but why isn't Alberto Gonzales the attorney general anymore? I really have no clue, just wondering! Thanks!
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Sep 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Because anyone that is appointed by Bush is summarily pressured into resigning/quiting or brought up on false charges by the Dems/Libs. Anyone that has anything to do with Bush, has this as the result, much like Rumsfeld, Tom Delay, etc.

Anyone who is approved by Bush is disapproved by the dems/libs. All this, because they are still sore about the 2000 election, as well as an unyielding hatred of Bush. This is why, Shoegal. They want to do everything to destroy the Bush legacy so that the Bill Clinton legacy doesn't look so bad.

They are also doing it to convince people like you that all republicans are evil, bad and racist-sexist-homophobic people. Whatever it takes to force the masses to vote for them. I'm half-black/white, and I'll say for sure that the repubs are not racists. The rest is pure fabrication and baseless charges.

XenoSapien

Sep 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Well, thanks for sort of answering my question, but not knowing much about politics, I can still say that I'm a proud republican as well, and an avid bush supporter. I am still confused about the comic though...

Sep 17, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Comics tell jokes. That's all that was.

XenoSapien

Sep 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
    But what did it mean?

Sep 17, 2007, 04:14 PM
    I just don't get why he was yelling "you're fired!" in the mirror. I know it was a joke, but why? Why is it funny that he would say that to himself? I just want to know the background info, that's all.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Because he is / was the most incompetent man in Bush's administration and an embarrassment to the USA.

Sep 17, 2007, 05:27 PM
    No, Shoegal, because he did just fine; but because he was a minority, it threatened the dems/libs view that they are they only ones who care about the minority.

XenoSapien
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:31 PM
    He was a disgrace. See Military Commissions Act for an example of his incompetency! He should have been fired or stepped down long ago.

Sep 17, 2007, 05:38 PM
    He did just fine. But because Bush appointed him, he was a disgrace. Point to one bad thing he has done, Skell.

XenoSapien

Sep 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
    XenoSapien, I think that you may be a bit on edge here because you yourself are a minority. It's not a bad thing at all, it's possible you could think this just because it's a sensitive issue for you, and you don't want to see another minority be embarrassed or insulted, and it's not just because he's a minority. People in minority groups like to play pity party because they think they're discrimiated against and hated. So they think they can get away with things that others couldn't and any insult to them isn't just an insult to THEM, but an insult to their race. So, that being said, I don't really know who's right here, as I said before, I don't know much about politics, what I do know is, that you are probably overreacting and not everyone is 'hating on' minorities.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
    What did the comic mean?

He was lampooning Donald Trump, and the reason it was a mirror is because he had let so many others get fired for political reasons (8 US Attorneys were on the Kyle Sampson memo... and that's why he got in trouble. EVEN GOP members admitted it was not good.

DEMS? CONSPIRACY?
    Hardly: Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel and Kansas Senator Pat Roberts asked for AG's departure, as well as Darrel Issa, California Republican rep. asked him to step down too...

This dude came in supporting torture policies and went out with only a mild form of torture for obviously politically motivated firings of US attorneys... And that, shoegal is why he was "fired" - finally.

Sep 17, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Shoegal, you are sounding more and more like 'not' a repub. Sorry I answered your post.

XenoSapien
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    He did just fine. But because Bush appointed him, he was a disgrace. Point to one bad thing he has done, Skell.

XenoSapien
    As I said. See the Military Commissions Act. A law over which he presided. There was 2 adverse decision in the Supreme Court and various forced changes to this completely unjust law all while suspects are held for longer than 5 years without charge.

Sorry but he was in charge of that debacle to me he didn't do fine at all. He was a disgrace. Even the staunchest of republicans on this site will admit he was terrible.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 02:50 AM
    While he was in office there was a controversy because the Justice Dept fired a number of District Attorneys . It was perfectly within the right of the administration to fire and replace any of them for any pretext . But Alberto Gonzales and his staff bungled and ineptly created the controversy when they claimed that the Attorneys were fired due to job performance related issues .

This was the red meat that the Democrats in Congress needed .They began to hold a series of investigations into the matter and unfortunately that made matters worse .Gonzales proved incapable to give credible testimony . Eventually he mercifully ended the comedy by resigning .

That is what the cartoonist is portraying . By resigning Gonzales in effect fired himself.

The matter will not go away. Personally I do not know why the President bothered submitting a replacement . The Michael Mukasey hearings promises to dredge up the whole incident again. No doubt a quid pro quo of an independent prosecutor appointed by Judge Mukasey will be required as a prerequisite for his confirmation. Since there are only 16 months left to the Bush Presidency ,if I were him ,I would've just let the Justice Dept. be run by interim AG Paul Clement.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Because anyone that is appointed by Bush is summarily pressured into resigning/quiting or brought up on false charges by the Dems/Libs. Anyone that has anything to do with Bush, has this as the result, much like Rumsfeld, Tom Delay, etc.
    Curious...

Exactly who in the current administration has had false charges leveled against them?

Elaborate [.. . ]

BTW, Tom DeLay is not and was not ever an appointed member of the Bush administration.

Anyone who is approved by Bush is disapproved by the dems/libs.
    And yet somehow a new Supreme Court Justice and a new Supreme Court Chief Justice have been nominated and elevated to the court during Bush Jr's reign.

All this, because they are still sore about the 2000 election, as well as an unyielding hatred of Bush. This is why, Shoegal. They want to do everything to destroy the Bush legacy so that the Bill Clinton legacy doesn't look so bad.
    Amazing how you can't see how one follows the other, Xeno.

Isn't it possible that much of the hatred is the result of Bush destroying Bubba's legacy?

They are also doing it to convince people like you that all republicans are evil, bad and racist-sexist-homophobic people. Whatever it takes to force the masses to vote for them. I'm half-black/white, and I'll say for sure that the repubs are not racists. The rest is pure fabrication and baseless charges.
    How can you be so sure of your assertion when much of the GOP's platform is centered on Xenophobia, paternalistic laws that disallow a woman control over her own body and homophobic laws that ban same sex couples the right to marry?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 18, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Shoegal,

Here is the story.

About a year ago, Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez fired 8 US attorneys from their federal jobs for not doing their jobs. For whatever reason, those attorneys were not doing their jobs to President Bush's or Roberto Gonzales' satisfaction (I believe that they were failing to prosecute cases that they should have pursued), and so they were summarily fired. The Dems in Congress started crying "foul" and claiming that Bush and Gonzales fired these prosecutors for purely partisan reasons... they weren't towing the Republican line on some issue or other. What resulted was a scandal in which Bush and Gonzales were accused of petty partisan politics, and as a result, Gonzalez was forced first to "testify" before Congress (as if the firings were some sort of crime) and eventually to resign.

What the press has failed to let the public know is that the firings were perfectly legal, moral ands ethical. The AG or the President have the right to fire anyone working for the executive branch of government for any cause, even if it is only because of political disagreement. The term is "at the will of the President", and it works that way in private businesses too. Private employers can fire non-contract employees at any time for any reason, because employment is "at the will of the employer".

Furthermore, the press also failed to inform the public that President Clinton fired not one, not 8, but a total of 98 conservative prosecutors during his time in office, for no other reason than the fact that he wanted to give those jobs to Democrats. Nobody questioned Clinton's right to do so. Nobody demanded that Janet Reno testify as to why those firings took place, and nobody demanded that Reno resign (at least not over that incident... the Branch Davidian and Elian Gonzalez things were another matter). Nobody questioned the Presidential right to hire and fire federal prosecutors at will.

The cartoon of which you speak was a reference to Gonzales "firing himself" in the mirror as he had fired the 8 federal attorneys. It wasn't particularly funny, and frankly it misses the point that Gonzales didn't do anything wrong in the first place, but was forced out of office by the Dems simply for being a Bush cronie. I was no Gonzales fan, but he did not deserve to be forced out of office for doing what was within his legal, moral and ethical authority to do.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Hello shoe:

He was fired for several reasons, not the least of which was his incompetence. It was his Incompetence, after all, that lead to his lying to cover up his incompetence.

Plus, I think he was an embarrassment to the president when he testified before congress. If you have an opportunity to see any of his testimony, please do so. He couldn't put two coherent sentences together. He acted like a little boy who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He got caught in lie after lie - CAUGHT - red handed. I was embarrassed for him.

Please understand that the Attorney General is the top federal cop in the country. He is America's lawyer. He represents YOU. IF you had a chance to see him, you wouldn't want him representing the dog catching department. His incompetence was on full view, and he didn't hold back one bit. He is a dufus. There is no other way to describe him.

Now, I don't like his policies - not even close. I agree wholeheartedly with the guys that pointed that stuff out. But, as long as he has the job, and as long as Bush is pres, he has the RIGHT to make those policies. And he certainly wasn't fired for those policies. Plus, I didn't like his predecessor's policies either, but at lease he was a competent Attorney General.

No, Gonzales was fired because he's a dufus. What the Wolverine said is true, he has the right to fire every single one of his prosecutors for ANY reason whatsoever. But, he can't lie about why he did it, and Gonzales lied about it when he could have just said, no comment. That dufusness lead to his eventual demise.

It wasn't just his dufusness either. Nooooo, it was MUCH more than that. The fallout from his dufusness, PARALIZED the Justice Department, just when we needed them the most. Since this scandal, virtually ALL the senior Justice Department officials have resigned. It was an agency without leadership for the past year or so. That's dangerous. That's not GOOD for you or your neighbors.

By the way, I love Mexicans. I wish he had done a better job representing them. I think he put the plight of Mexicans back several decades.

excon

Sep 18, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Curious....

Exactly who in the current administration has had false charges leveled against them?

Elaborate [ . . . .]

BTW, Tom DeLay is not and was not ever an appointed member of the Bush administration.

And yet somehow a new Supreme Court Justice and a new Supreme Court Chief Justice have been nominated and elevated to the court during Bush Jr's reign.

Amazing how you can't see how one follows the other, Xeno.

Isn't it possible that much of the hatred is the result of Bush destroying Bubba's legacy?

How can you be so sure of your assertion when much of the GOP's platform is centered on Xenophobia, paternalistic laws that disallow a woman control over her own body and homophobic laws that ban same sex couples the right to marry?
    Bush himself had false charges leveled against him (military service).

Correct. I should have been more clear; people who were pivitol in making the Bush presidency strong were attacked until they simply stepped down, or had bogus charges sent against them. Specify what Delay did wrong. Same with Trent Lott.

Supreme court justice; that's because they had nothing on him, and there was no way to fabricate and exaggerate enough dirt to hurt him. And I do remember a lady who had to withdrawl from being nominated because of excessive pressure.

Yet, Senator Byrd--former clansman; Ted Kennedy--accessory to MURDER; Bill Clinton--blatant TREASON; Hitlery Clinton--fraud and a hand in MURDER; William Jefferson--Who the hell puts that kind of money in their freezer?

Yet all these losers somehow don't get removed... I wonder why...

In respects to Bubba's legacy, it is as bad as it is because he caused that all by himself. A BJ was more important than protecting the American people. Giving a cocaine-kingpin who owes millions in back taxes a presidential pardon was more important to him than being a righteous man. The fore-fathers would've had Clinton swinging by a rope the minute it was found out that he gave laser-guided missile technology to an enemy.

Yet, nothing gets done to him or any of the other listed folks. Nope, JUST republicans.

XenoSapien
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Bush himself had false charges leveled against him (military service).
    Do you even understand the difference between an accusation and the leveling of charges, Xeno?

There is a huge difference betwixt the two.

As for 'accusations' leveled against Bush vis-à-vis his military service -- Exactly which do you believe to be false -- And more importantly, which of those accusations led to Bush being "brought up on false charges by the Dems/Libs" as you alluded to in your first post?

Correct. I should have been more clear; people who were pivitol in making the Bush presidency strong were attacked until they simply stepped down, or had bogus charges sent against them. Specify what Delay did wrong. Same with Trent Lott.
    Tom DeLay has figured prominently in a money laundering scheme that has led to the criminal convictions of at least two of his aids and is still under investigation to this very day.

As for Trent Lott -- Exactly what charges is he facing?

Supreme court justice; that's because they had nothing on him, and there was no way to fabricate and exaggerate enough dirt to hurt him. And I do remember a lady who had to withdrawl from being nominated because of excessive pressure.
    Y'know, this is SO very typical of Rightard cognitive dissonance.

You said "Anyone who is approved by Bush is disapproved by the dems/libs", I point out two instances where you are very wrong -- And your response is to ignore the incongruity of your earlier statement altogether.

>shakes head<

Figgers.

Yet, Senator Byrd--former clansman; Ted Kennedy--accessory to MURDER; Bill Clinton--blatant TREASON; Hitlery Clinton--fraud and a hand in MURDER; William Jefferson--Who the hell puts that kind of money in their freezer?

Yet all these losers somehow don't get removed... I wonder why...
    Well, first things first, Herr DittoHead -- Either unplug your fax machine or set it up to block the Limbaugh talking points newsletter.

Stop allowing Talk Radio and NewsMax to shape your political views.

And lastly, learn how to have a political discussion without deflecting when your back is up against a wall.

In respects to Bubba's legacy.. .
    >Long winded deflective rambling snipped<

I find it very interesting that you chose to ignore my response to your statement about how "all republicans are evil, bad and racist-sexist-homophobic people", Xeno.

Y'know, Xeno, it's folks like you who lost us the mid-term elections, and it will be folks like you who lose us the White House in '08.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gonzales [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: Bush lied vs Bush is stupid. I don't believe that he lied. But, I still think he's stupid. I know, I know - you've brought up before about his Harvard credentials... But, I can't see it. You can see a spark of intelligence in someone's eye. I only see arrogarence. Ok, I don't...

View more questions Search