Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 09:40 PM
    Any good fantasy movies?
    This is a very general question I know, but I'm looking for suggestions for good fantasy/mystical/mythical movies along the lines of Neverending Story, Midsummer Night's Dream, Legend, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. but without a whole lot of demons. Some movies that are more family oriented but not stupid and fairly un-violent. (If that's a word.) I'm up for suggestions on pretty much anything but I am really looking for movies I can watch w/my family or movies my hubby and I can sleep to (since we like to sleep to movies ;) ) Thanks.

Joanna
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2005, 01:59 PM
    One of my favorites that you may not have heard of is Reign of Fire. Great fantasy movie appropriate for the whole family.

Here's a review site link about it, too.
    Wildwind Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 6, 2005, 10:53 PM
    Uhh, I don't know what you're talking about, Reign of Fire is a very violent movie. I mean, the kid's mom dies right in front of him, people get fried alive, etc. etc.

In response to the original post, sorry, I don't have a good fantasy movie for you.
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Nov 7, 2005, 01:42 AM
    The Dark Crystal
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Ok, I'll buy it: Reign of Fire is not in the same category as the others.
    I stand corrected :o
    oceanmist Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 05:47 PM
    I was going to say the "Dark Crystal" also. Or how about "Fantasia".
    barbarella Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2005, 08:27 PM
    Willow, the Dark crystal, the Labrinth are all must sees. Others are the Witches of Eastwick (humour more for the adults), peter pan (newest non-disney), the Adventures of Baron Maunchauson, the Princess Bride, Merlin (the telly movie), Ladyhawk, Beetlejuice, The peanut Butter solution...
    barbarella Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2005, 08:35 PM
    Oooooh, Return to Oz! That one's great, the sequel to wizrd of oz but without all the corny sing alongs and kitch munchkins, it's much darker but still good for kids, no violence etc, with a young Fairuza Balk, has any one else seen it?
    tjr Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Another good one is the time bandits
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Thanks!
    Thanks so much guys, and keep them coming if you think of any more. :)
    tanyamccracken Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 06:19 PM
    Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
    Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
    t5styles333 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Mar 12, 2009, 12:35 AM

I really enjoyed a kids animation TV series called "The Avatar, the last Airbender" It's a 3 book collections of great story, superpowers and adventure.

Fantasy movies up your alley are: Big Fish, The City of Lost Children and I highly recommend MirrorMask.

Some other goodies but are for adults are: The Fall and Pan's Labyrinth.
    Zelious Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
    I know this is like 4 years later, but right now I'm looking for something more to watch too, and I really would like more people to know about the 10th kingdom, so I'm replying anyway...

Must see movie, its 8 hours long, so I'm sure you can fall asleep to it. It has pretty much the exact amount of violece you describe you're looking for. It is a very orignal fantasy movie where the fairy tales are basically the past in the 9 kingdoms. In the beginning of the movie they start in our world until some trolls and a half-wolf find a magic mirror from their world to ours and it gets really good from there. It is the absolute best movie I've ever seen, and my favorite. It'scalled "The 10th kingdom".

Oh, and there is a parody of "A midsummer night's dream" on the 4th season of Lexx. I like it, but that is more sci-fi and fantasy. You might want to check out lexx, even though it is very sci-fi like it has a lot of fantasy in it too. Also good to fall asleep to. I must have seen the whole series 3 times, not including the times I used the episodes to fall asleep.
    Telepathetic23 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Dec 28, 2009, 10:09 PM

The hogfather was good... I agree about mirrormask.
    urbancowgirl7 Posts: 84, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2009, 12:44 AM

This isn't typically my genre, but my girlfriend loves movies like those listed and The Last Mimsy is one of her all time favorites. I liked it a lot too!
    ToasterPuppy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 04:46 PM

I love MirrorMask, The HogFather, and The Tenth Kingdom so I put some up too.
    The Hallmark version of Arabian Nights.
    Based on the same book series as the Hogfather there is the movie The Color of Magic.
    And I have more but I just went brain dead

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two movies [ 3 Answers ]

I did ask about one of these movies before, but I thought I try again I believe this was a kids movie. All that I can remember was that this kid being locked in his room because he kept sneaking out of the house to visit to older man who fixed planes. I can only remember the scene where he is...

Fantasy Novel, modern people sucked into fantasy land [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to remember the title of a book I read once that involved modern people being magically transported to a fantasy land. It starts with a male Truck driver picking up a female hitch-hiker. They both have terrible personal lives and not much to live for. While they are driving down...

Movies.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I like horror movies but not really a vampire kind, most other type... Is there anyone can recommend me lots of horror movies "But" with lots of nudity and sexy... :D "But" not very erotic or having a sex scene... nudity is enough... :D Thanks...

Old movies [ 2 Answers ]

Who played the monster , in frankenstien ? The old movie Thank you

Movies [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know who was originally asked to star in the 1959 version of Ben Hur?

View more questions Search