Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dougcollins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
    Intermittent blower operation
    Hello, I have a Janitrol model A30-08 furnace. On the AC side, when the thermostat calls for cooling, sometimes the blower kicks on, sometimes not. The evaporator coils always cool down (to the point of icing if I don't intervene), so that part is working fine.

When the blower doesn't come on, sometimes if I smack the outside of the blower housing, it kicks on immediately. Sometimes, simply opening the furnace door (really small closet) kicks it on.

I have read through the other posts, and if I can get my hands on a tester, I will check the voltage on the time-delay relay for 24V on the control side, and line voltage to the blower.

Any ideas? Is this indicative of a bad capacitor, or relay? Or is the blower fan just getting stuck--it does seem dusty back in there. THANKS!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2005, 08:09 PM
    Sounds like a classic case of flaky relay. Unfortunately the newer ones are on a circuit board, making diagnose and replacement tough. A whole new board is $$$$$$$$
    dougcollins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 08:12 PM
    Actually, the relay is completely separate, and would be easy to switch out. Would a flaky relay 'come on' by whacking the housing?

Thanks
    Doug
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2005, 09:15 PM
    Yes, but a lighter whack directly on the relay would be a better indicator. Take it off, take it to an electrical supply, and let them match it up. Relays are fairly cheap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this normal heat pump operation? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lennox heatpump/blower unit and noticed yesterday that instead of cycling on and off it ran pretty much all day. The high yesterday was 96 and I had the tstat set at 76. When I got home last night at around 5:30 it was on and I don't think it shut off until about 10:30. Is this normal...

Intermittent freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Hope you can help. Recently I've had a problem with intermittent freeze up of the evap coil of my downstairs central AC. Multiple technicians have been here with no resolution of the problem. I did have to have the evap coil replaced earlier this week due to a leak in the drain pan - and it...

Operation error? [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to access a local (national chain) hardware site there is a message that says that the operation was aborted. How do I correct this error message? It only appears when I try to go to this one website. Thanks

Sporatic Operation of Remote Control [ 1 Answers ]

:-XQuestions have been asked about the hampton remotes not working or working by themselves, but my remotes only operate less than 10% of the time, if at all. I've been through the drill of changing the batteries and getting the remote close to the receiver, but the problem does not change. Could...

Illegal Operation--Help? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi-- When I log off on Window's 98SE--after a few minutes, when I try to get back on--it say's I have performed an illegal operation--it say's the reason is--"MPREXE"--can anyone please tell me what this means? And what I can do to correct it--Thank you--

View more questions Search