Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Sep 24, 2005, 11:36 AM
    Urgent!help!dog Bitten By A Bee Or...
    1/2 hr. ago - my dog baby was so ecstatic to catch a bee (wasp or hornet)i do not know difference)this all happened so fast,because although i didn't actually see this happen,as i just arrived in the kitchen to find baby & her best friend ginger,the cat, gleefully running around chasing it!baby may have caught & bitten into it because i only arrived in time to see it hanging on the hair at the side of her mouth,still alive,so i grabbed her & pushed the insect off outside(& she was so upset as she did want to eat it!)i got a bit nervous,as she has been sort of moving her mouth around :eek: i opened it to see if it is red,swollen,if there was a stinger, or.. but i do not see anything. And she began to close her eyes,sort of squinting-appearing sleepy, as if she could not keep them open,so i checked around her eyes i thought maybe she did get bitten and was getting some type of reaction,(can animals also have :eek: dangerous, life-threatening reactions,like anaphylactic shock,or is it only humans?)and i became paranoid, :( & i wanted to keep her awake,so i brought in her favourite snack... so this has gotten her attention & i gave her a few tiny pieces... she is able to eat, seems better, but is still moving her mouth about a bit perhaps in discomfort or maybe she bit the insect,and the taste or venom is nasty.is there any danger?i just checked on her,she is appearing better. If anyone is out there, i would appreciate your help & your support! would appreciate any info. experiences, suggestions, advice, etc. on this subject please. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2005, 12:34 PM
    By taking it away, you may have saved her life. If she was stung in the throat, it may swell shut and choke her. If there is any chance of that, immediately try to find a vet. Saturday afternoon is a terrible time. If your regular vet does not list an emergency number, try the regular one. It may forward. If not, call all the numbers in the book until you get somebody. Now.

I am sorry it happened, and hate to panic you, but it could be bad.

Sep 25, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Baby Is Okay! Advice To All: Post Emergency Number
    Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it! I watched her very closely, and soon after she was asking for a game, and was playful and behaving normally. :) Perhaps the taste was nasty and that is what caused her to move her mouth around like that. But because I have worked with many cats and dogs, for many years, being a volunteer with an animal rescue group - with my experience I was able to make the decision on taking her to the vet or not. But everyone reading this should take your advice, as I agree 100%:
    TAKE YOU PET TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY! I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SUGGEST TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE ANY TYPES OF PETS: A VERY IMPORTANT SUGGESTION: POST, ON A BULLETIN BOARD, OR FRIDGE, OR SOMEWHERE THAT WOULD BE VERY ACCESSIBLE, VERY QUICKLY - SEVERAL TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF VETS, AND ESPECIALLY A 24 HOUR EMERGENCY CLINIC/HOSPITAL THAT IS ALWAYS OPEN, ALWAYS AVAILABLE, TO THOSE THAT HAVE AN UNFORTUNATE EMERGENCY - SUCH AS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY DOG WITH AN INSECT, OR IF YOUR PET GETS HIT BY A CAR, ETC. THE REASON I AM SUGGESTING THIS IS THAT TIME IS VERY IMPORTANT, AND IF ONE HAS TO PERHAPS BEGIN LOCATING THE YELLOW PAGES,(PERHAPS SOMEONE USED IT AND NEVER PUT IT BACK WHERE IT BELONGS!) BEGIN CALLING VETS TO FIND OUT WHO IS OPEN ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY, GET DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO GET THERE ETC. ETC :confused:... BY THEN YOUR PET COULD DIE!! :( I EVEN WENT SO FAR AS TO NOT ONLY POST IT ON MY BULLETIN BOARD, BUT I WENT FOR A DRIVE OVER THERE TO KNOW THE ROUTE (AS IT WAS IN A PLACE I WAS NOT FAMILIAR WITH), AND NOW I FEEL CONFIDENT,SHOULD AN EMERGENCY ARISE!
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 25, 2005, 08:52 AM
    A big thank you to Violet and Labman.
    This has never happened to me, but the thought scares me to pieces. Violet, I'll be looking for your future posts on this forum regards to dogs should you be posting. I like your background with animals. Thanks again, Becky
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2005, 12:57 PM
    I am very happy to hear Baby is OK. Thank you for reassuring us. A sting on the mouth or lips is painful, but I don't think life threatening. Years ago, my Lab puppy, Taffy, refused to eat. Knowing there was a problem, I took her to the vet. I didn't see it, but we concluded she swallowed a yellow jacket and it stung her throat. The vet said if I hadn't brought her in, her throat would have swelled shut and choked her to death. He gave her a shot and saved her.

Your advice on the emergency number is very good. Things happen at the worst times. My vet's regular number forwards to a paging service after hours. Unfortunately, I have had to use it several times. Anybody that has had young Labs in the house for the last 15 years, knows their vet well. Note, don't give a dog any of the modern pain killers. Stick to buffered aspirin, one 325 mg tablet for each 65 pounds of dog every 12 hours.

Glad to have you here. I miss the old gang from AskMe.com. Findley disappeared from Point Ask some time ago.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 25, 2005, 01:35 PM
    [QUOTE=labman] Anybody that has had young Labs in the house for the last 15 years, knows their vet well.

This sentence gave me a pang of jealousy. My special needs daughter (31 today!) has been begging for some time for a chocolate Lab puppy. I'm going to stand by my vow to never own another puppy as my energy level is insufficient to being an optimal puppy mom.
    There's also those pesky city ordinances limiting the number of dogs. I was told face-to-face by an official that they 'will' enforce the law even though animal control doesn't. Neighbors here have multiple dogs and tell the city to 'pound sand'... I don't have that kind of energy, nor to move.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Puppies are a lot of work. Often I try to convince people to adopt an older dog instead of buying a puppy. I see many questions, here and elsewhere, from people who would have been better off not buying a puppy.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Great
    Hi, Violet,
    I am so glad things worked out OK for you.
    Pets, to many of us, are like our own children.
    I have a mixed terrior-poodle house dog, that is like a child to us.
    I do wish you the best,
    fredg

Sep 26, 2005, 10:50 AM
    Spread the word(s)!
    I really am glad to have joined this site, and to meet some new members and also communicate with some of the "askme&pointask" crowd, from days gone by! Labman: as in the past, you have always given me good advice - I appreciate your replies immensely, and respect the amazing work you do - you are a very special person, and I THANK YOU ON BEHALF OF ALL THOSE THAT YOU HAVE HELPED IN THE WORK WHICH YOU DO. :) YOU HAVE TRULY MADE AND CONTINUE TO MAKE SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLE'S LIVES! And to all those who have replied to my questions, thank you for acknowledging that the info. Is helpful - I do whatever I can for all the wonderful dogs & cats and any living creatures, out there - they can't talk to us, so we must all try to commmunicate with them to know if they are ever in need of medical help. I HOPE THAT AS ANIMAL LOVERS, WE WILL ALL TELL OTHERS WHOM WE KNOW, THAT OWN PETS, ANY IMPORTANT INFORMATION WHICH WE LEARN FROM EACH OTHER, ON THIS SITE - SO PLEASE: SPREAD THE WORD(s)!!

Sep 26, 2005, 04:38 PM
    Rescue A Dog Or Cat - Don't Buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Puppies are a lot of work. Often I try to convince people to adopt an older dog instead of buying a puppy. I see many questions, here and elsewhere, from people who would have been better off not buying a puppy.
    bravo labman! I agree with you 100%. I believe,that in many circumstances, unfortunately, people are impulsive & selfish. They do not think it through properly. It is not like just going to the store to buy a pair of shoes - it is a huge responsibility - one needs to think it through and realize that a puppy needs so much attention, needs to be trained, needs to be toilet trained, needs to be brushed every day, groomed, needs to be walked;for a cat, is one ready tochange the cat litter several times a day and keep the litterbox squeeky clean, will they brush their cat every day, and can one afford the food and the vet bills, etc. etc... it can be an approx. 20 year responsibility (depending on how many years the dog or cat will live) - but i see it all the time - this is one of the many sad ways the dogs and cats end up at the shelters, :( because people just go impulsively to buy that cute little puppy in the petshop window, or the cute little kitten in the cage in the petshop. They do not think of what it entails to own an animal. One has to be selfless - just like having a child! Rescuing and adopting an older dog or cat, from a shelter (most people do not know that every single day there are thousands of cats and dogs being killed, in shelters across north america :eek: ) - rather than buying a puppy or a kitten , is truly wonderful. First of all, you are not supporting "PUPPY AND KITTEN MILLS"! :mad: one can rescue any type of dog or cat - and many do not know this. One can adopt a pure breed, or a mixed breed; a long hair or a short hair,a large or a small - there are so many rescue groups out there - if one wants a poodle, or a german shepherd, a dalmatian or a samoyed, a tabby cat or a siamese, or a mixed breed, etc, etc!. please: rescue a dog or cat from a shelter! They make fantastic pets. They are grateful, they are already toilet trained. etc. you can also rescue a greyhound dog (when they cannot race anymore they kill them! :mad: you can also rescue a puppy or kitten - if it is a young pet you want to adopt. Every age, every type is available & also, another way to go, if one is unsure as to whether they really do want a pet, or do they want a large dog, or a small dog, or maybe a cat, another option is called "FOSTERING".you can foster a dog or cat in your house, and help out the shelter or group until it gets adopted, or you may decide to keep the one you are fostering, or try another one. etc. they may ask you to help out as they have an urgent situation i.e. they may have found a pregnant cat, who needs a quiet place for a little while, to have her kittens, or they may have a dog who they rescued that was hit by a car, had surgery, and needs a place to be nursed back to health until he is ready for adoption... there are so many different programs with different options. Either way, adopting or fostering - you are doing a good thing! :) i am associated with a no kill shelter here in montreal. (i feel great, i just placed an older cat,whose owner (unfortunately and sadly) had to go to a nursing home. For example,the week before, a very active 91 yr."YOUNG"lady(yes!! ), called me for information on rescuing a cat,so i did the interview, and as fate happens, within a few days, she is now fostering (in this case with the option to adopt) that particular cat whose owner went to the nursing home.(plus,her doctor was so puzzled and could not understand how her blood pressure has gone down!! = the cat! )i am so happy at how it worked out for all. You can also become a volunteer - every group or shelter desperately needs volunteers and there are so many varied, assorted jobs to do. Some people think "OH, I COULD NEVER DO THAT, IT IS TOO SAD TO GO TO THE SHELTER AND SEE ALL OF THOSE SAD, TERRIFIED ANIMALS"... but inform yourself, call - there are so many jobs available - we need people at the shelter, or fundraising -car washes, garage sales,hotdog stands, bookeepers,telephone calls, public relations,adoption clinics,. we need carpenters at the shelters, people to give medication, people to drive pets to the vet, etc. etc.get involved! It helps the animals, plus volunteering is a truly great thing! :) rescue a cat and/or dog. And always spay and neuter your pets!!
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Sep 27, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Pawsitivelyhuman.com is a wonderful friendly place for information on pets! Post your favorite pic of them, interact with other pet owners.
    rosannamah1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 06:49 PM
    My dog got bit by a bee I think, what can I do for her, her face is all swollen
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Did you review the old info? As I said, if you think there is any chance of the throat being stung, panic, get her to a vet somehow NOW. Refusing to eat or drink is a very bad sign in this case. Otherwise, I think some Benadryl will reduce the swelling, up to 2 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. I hope she has the same quick recovery Baby did.
    ptrcamoni1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 08:21 AM
    My dog was fine one day and the next he developed a golf ball size whatever on his neck. It can't be a tumor can it? (growing so fast). Please let me know if anything has ever happened to anyone?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:58 AM
    I never saw anything like that. It it doesn't go away as fast as it came, I would get him to the vet before the weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stung/bitten by a coral... what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was bitten or stung by a pink coral ( that's what he saw) 2 weeks ago during their diving activity. The area (in the legs) that was stung/bitten by coral is still very itchy. It grows like a mosquito bite, but super itchy. He tried putting it white vinegar but still no effect. I asked...

Urgent Help! [ 3 Answers ]

Please if anyone can find a site where i can find this car"2003 Dodge Truck Sprinter Van " that is used or damaged and it coast maximum 20.000$$$$ because i need to buy one please help some one

I need help *URGENT* [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is divorced and has one child from this previous marriage (who's a teenager now) and his 'ex' (who is married to a wealthy man) keeps on trying to blackmail us, demanding a large amount of money that we don't have in order to leave us alone. Since she didn't get what she wants she is...

How do I... (urgent) [ 12 Answers ]

I'm going to make this straight and to the point as possible. I've been ignorin a girl testing whether she likes me but after sometime she's also started to play busy even though she's tried to meet with me and I play dumb.The tricky part is she isn't no pushover and doesn't take crap from no one...

View more questions Search