Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magicgirl233 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Schizophrenia??
    For the past few months I think I have been going crazy. I hear things that arnt really there. (Voices and sounds) I have a friend that lives with me who is really nice and stuff but my parents don't even know she is there. They totally ignore her. And I am totally afraid of the dark and I don't trust anyone, not even my parents. I don't know what's going on. If anyone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated.
    Emily
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 24, 2005, 11:46 AM
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...EAAHYDPgYAAAAB

Check out the above link. There are so many different types and studies have been made by several clinicians. At any rate, please see a doctor, there is help out there where people with such symptoms can live a normal life with the proper treatments. But get tested first,that's the crucial part. Hope all the best for you, be assured that if you have the illness, you are not the only one and can be helped. Good Luck.
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Sep 24, 2005, 01:37 PM
    See a doctor
    I suggest you see a doctor. But the most common drugs used for these would be Haloperidol used together with Biperiden to combat the extra pyramidal effects & Thorazine. My patients usually get better in a week or so. These are not over the counter drugs so I really do suggest you see your doctor as soon as possible.

Sep 28, 2005, 04:34 AM
    Afraid
    I am afraid to go and see a doctor. If he finds me insane he will lock me up and never let me go. I just can't do this... I don't want to. I think I can deal with it but I don't know... :confused: I haven't gone to a doctor yet (at least not a psychiatrist) I... just... cant...
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 28, 2005, 05:43 AM
    There are many different types, and you don't even know that's what is wrong with you, so don't jump to conclusions before you are sure, please. Maybe you could be going through some real heavy stress, or you could have an enemy out there who is giving you some type of drugs to mess you up. It could also be due to something in the paint of your room, or another chemical that has not been detected yet, lot's of possibilities. Don't eat or drink anything from one you don't trust. This is an old alcoholic's rule of mine. I always watch my drinks and food when in a social gathering to prevent damage.

Even if you have this, does not mean you'll be 'locked up', they rarely do that anymore, so please see a neurologist - he can do an EEG and other tests right there and it might be something else entirely different. Please be good to yourself and take care of your body and mind - they are the only ones you've got. We can't hold your hand and take you there, but you should be able to take that step if you really want help - and I think you do, or else you would not have contacted us. Good Luck dear, and get back with us as soon as possible.
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Sep 28, 2005, 12:03 PM
    Cheer up. Most patients are just treated on an out patient basis so there is no reason for you to be locked up in a room!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 28, 2005, 02:44 PM
    Dimples is right magicgirl, so take that step and walk towards your health and reassurance. We will still be here for you.

Sep 29, 2005, 05:16 AM
    My mom actually works ar a hospital and deals with diseases everyday. Im afraid that if I tell her, she will think of me as a patient and not as her daughter. I think that I will try meditation on my own for a little while and see if it can help me at least get rid of the voices. :confused: :o
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 29, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Whatever your choice, you'll get support from us. Try some candles too. White candles bring positive energy and dark blue candles bring peace of mind and regeneration - this might sound silly, but it works for me. Just remember we will be here for you. I would still check out some new things around you, some just might be toxic and you might be inhaling it and not know it. That has happened to a lot of people moving into new homes, and all of a sudden they get hallucinations and real sick, so it's possible that some chemicals are around that you react to, from wood, material, even paints.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 05:47 PM
    As the title of your post seems to suggest, you could indeed be suffering from schizophrenia. Talk to your physician about your symptoms. (S)he can refer you to a psychiatrist if need be for treatment options, which may include counseling and medication, among others.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2005, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicgirl233
    I am afraid to go and see a doctor. If he finds me insane he will lock me up and never let me go. ...
    No doctor would ever "lock you up" unless you were deemed to be a real threat to yourself or others. I don't sense that being the case here. You need to seek medical treatment. Being diagnosed with schizophrenia, which is what you suspect is your problem, is not synonymous with being judged "insane." The sooner you seek treatment the better your chances for success will be.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 29, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Hey dear, how are you feeling today? Have you heard any voices or are they starting to go away? Keep in contact and let us know how you feel, no matter what, talk to us about it if you still don't want to see a doc and don't trust anyone else yet. If your mom works with sick people every day, she should also have picked up on this if it is really serious, so don't frighten yourself. I feel no matter what a mom thinks, she should still be there for you and am pretty sure she will feel the same. Good Luck
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 29, 2005, 08:39 PM
    Another vote for seeking professional help. Go now. Today!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 30, 2005, 08:38 AM
    What is being suggested about seeking out a professional is right, you know it. I just hope you get over the fear of going to a doctor soon, as you now know that you will NOT BE LOCKED UP. What we are all saying is: who cares if people 'think' you are 'crazy' as long as you get the help you need so that you can get a chance to live a fulfilled life without the doubts and fears to carry with you each day. That is more stressful than being 'branded' as this will fade with time. Like I said before, you are not the only one needing assistance with your mental health, and in today's society there is nothing wrong with seeking help in trying to improve your physical or mental health. Thank goodness we are longer living in the middle ages and that people are more understanding. My mom was ashamed of me when I went to therapy, and I even forgot what that was for, but just need help that I did not get at home or school. She got over it, but it would not have mattered if she did not. You are the important one here, not others or their feelings. Let them deal with their life their way, you take care of #1 and that's you!

Sep 30, 2005, 03:04 PM
    Thank you
    Thank you all for being so supportive. I haven't gotten any worse, but I'm still a little wary of things. The voices come and go... :o though I haven't gone to a doctor, I really am grateful to everyone. Please don't think less of me if I don't go to a doctor. Im sorry I just can't right now.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 30, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Like I sated before, we will still be here for you no matter what your current choice is. Just give yourself a chance and think about your future. Keep us posted.
    solarboy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 03:55 AM
    Other causes of "hearing voices"
    There are things other than schizophrenia that can cause such things. Trouble is, most docs won't look too hard for them before laying on the drugs.

Brain chemisty that is unbalanced can and does cause such things. Anyone who has ever tried LSD knows this! A tiny amount of LSD will cause all sorts of hallucinations, by upsetting brain chemistry. But even without any drugs like that, brain chemistry can get unbalanced.
    For example...
    Low histamine can cause paranoia and hallucinations. Low histamine can be caused by high copper levels due to low zinc intake. High sugar intake can force zinc excretion, causing copper levels to rise.

Low histamine folks have some common symptoms. Irritability, easily tiring, frustate easily and tend to gain weight in a "pear" shaped configuration... with hips and thighs adding the most pounds.

Various allergies can cause such problems, too. Look at when/where you hear these voices... is it the same place and time? Or anytime and anywhere?
    What do you eat, mostly?

Don't worry... there are lots of things to look for before jumping to schizophrenia!

My best,
    Dan

Oct 12, 2005, 04:33 AM
    I usually try and eat veggies or fruit during a meal. I get up early in the mornings and eat before I go to work then after I'm done. I eat small snacks in between classes. I don't think it's the sugar intake. I drink diet cola and I sometimes get the munchies for a chocolate bar but that's about it.

When I hear the voices, its wherever I go. I hear them all the time. Especially at school. When I'm just walking by someone little voices pop up and start saying how pretty or ugly he or she is. How stupid I am and I will never be like them, and just stuff like that. Its just really hard to cope with.

Thank you for posting
    Emily
    solarboy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 06:41 AM
    Diet soda
    I suggest you stop the diet soda.
    It contains aspartame, which contains three
    Substances that some people are very sensitive to: methanol, aspartic acid and phenylalanine.

Whenever someone has a health problem, I think a good first step is to look at anything "un-natural" that is being consumed. Humans are pretty tough, able to tolerate quite a lot of dietary abuse, but some people are much more sensitive to things that we really were not designed to eat.

Maybe try sparkling water or fruit juice for a few days.

My best,
    Dan
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 12, 2005, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    There are many different types, and you don't even know that's what is wrong with you, so don't jump to conclusions before you are sure, please. Maybe you could be going thru some real heavy stress, or you could have an enemy out there who is giving you some type of drugs to mess you up. It could also be due to something in the paint of your room, or another chemical that has not been detected yet, lot's of possibilities. Don't eat or drink anything from one you don't trust. This is an old alcoholic's rule of mine. I always watch my drinks and food when in a social gathering to prevent damage.

Even if you have this, does not mean you'll be 'locked up', they rarely do that anymore, so please see a neurologist - he can do an EEG and other tests right there and it might be something else entirely different. Please be good to yourself and take care of your body and mind - they are the only ones you've got. We can't hold your hand and take you there, but you should be able to take that step if you really want help - and I think you do, or else you would not have contacted us. Good Luck dear, and get back with us as soon as possible.
    I agree, it does not mean that you have the illness just because of the symptoms and doctors are quick to 'diagnose' due to lack of money, interest, or plain ignorance. Allergies and sensitivity to yor surroundings, and drugs can cause the same...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia... bipolar? [ 10 Answers ]

Before I go and get myself labelled as schizophrenic or bipolar or whatever, I wanted to have some idea what this sounds like to others... maybe I should just keep this to myself and suffer in silence. I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but recently realized that I have been having some...

View more questions Search