Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgarofalo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Could my A/c be making me sick
    When my husband and I moved in to our apartment, we didn't use the a/c unit for the first 4 or 5 months. Once we started using it, I started having a sinus infection and can't seem to get completely over it. We are on our third a/c unit because they keep getting burned up. Today, the technician said that my freon was really low, which is odd since they just put the new unit in 2 weeks ago. He also said that he thinks there is a leak but it must be on the inside of my apartment because they have already replaced everything outside...
    Would breathing in freon keep me sick, and have the same symptoms as a sinus infection?
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Sep 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Did you have a problem with a leak before the new unit was installed?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarofalo
    When my husband and I moved in to our apartment, we didnt use the a/c unit for the first 4 or 5 months. Once we started using it, I started having a sinus infection and can't seem to get completely over it. We are on our third a/c unit because they keep getting burned up. Today, the technician said that my freon was really low, which is odd since they just put the new unit in 2 weeks ago. He also said that he thinks there is a leak but it must be on the inside of my apartment because they have already replaced everything outside...
    Would breathing in freon keep me sick, and have the same symptoms as a sinus infection?
    Usually refrigerant 22/freon will not cause a health problem unless you have a very heavy concentration which from your leak rate statement says you do not I cannot see the gas causing you a problem.

They should have replaced the inside coil when they changed the outside unit. This is a good practice because the old coils are not matched to the new outside unit. The old coil could be contaminated with mold/mildew. This was reactivated when the a/c unit started running again because mold/mildew needs moisture to bloom and grow in and around the coil. So you could have a problem with something growing on the inside evaporator and you would never know until you started to use your a/c. This could cause a allergic problem for people sensitive to it.

Your inside coil could also have a leak in it causing the refrigerant/freon to be lost from the system. I would contact the person in charge of where you live and in a nice but firm way that you really need this fixed and please send a person that knows what they are doing to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth control making me miserably sick [ 6 Answers ]

All my life I've had issues with my birth control. So after I had my son, at 17, my doctor put in an IUD. After 2 years and numerous cyst, he decided it had to come out. He put me on yaz, it made me incredibly sick and very moody. I took myself off it. I haven't been on anything for a year, but I'm...

Something in house making wife sick [ 8 Answers ]

Hi My wife thinks something in the house is making her sick. We have lived here about a year and a half. She has been sick a lot with flu like symptoms, and has seen the doctor many times, but without results. She will take antibiotics and get feeling better for a while and then get sick again....

Sick. 24/7 [ 4 Answers ]

OK I'm a 15 years old teenager who is always sick... and no I'm not being sarcastic and exaderating. I was sick I don't know how many times in the past 4 months.. 2 weeks ago I was sick with a really bad cold/flu and I got medication for my throat.. On Monday I got sick again.. :eek: This is so not...

This situation is making me sick. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, me again... Some of you are probably familiar with the heartache I have gone through over my former best friend walking out of my life. I know that all of you who participated said to let go and I have tried but because of the circumnstances I can't avoid her. Things have gotten...

View more questions Search