Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wicked1288 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 12:02 AM
    Plumber Quit - Have to finish shower drain myself
    This project is converting a garage into two bedrooms and a bathroom. I had the floor raised to match the house and the bathroom is all new plumbing. The problem I am having is what to do with the shower drain. The plumber obviously made the pipe extra tall for when the concrete was poured. I wasn't there when they installed my one-piece lasco shower. The pipe is sticking up above the floor about 1.5 inches. It is also slightly tilted. From what I know it needs to be cut down. I don't know how much of a problem it is that it is tilted. The white plastic drain grate says 'oatey' on it. The black plastic ring goes around the outside of the black pipe and appears to have a threading around it to screw in to something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bobby
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2005, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1288
    This project is converting a garage into two bedrooms and a bathroom. I had the floor raised to match the house and the bathroom is all new plumbing. The problem I am having is what to do with the shower drain. The plumber obviously made the pipe extra tall for when the concrete was poured. I wasn't there when they installed my one-piece lasco shower. The pipe is sticking up above the floor about 1.5 inches. It is also slightly tilted. From what I know it needs to be cut down. I don't know how much of a problem it is that it is tilted. The white plastic drain grate says 'oatey' on it. The black plastic ring goes around the outside of the black pipe and appears to have a threading around it to screw in to something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I can't see very much from your picture. Click on: http://www.oatey.com/shower_drains/index.html
    And tell me is your drain isn't a #101 PS glue on drain. Is the drain loose in the shower base and can the base be removed if it isn't? If what I see laying on the base is a neoprene gasket,( there should also be a fiber friction ring) and a ring with threads you'll have to do one of two things. Pull the base and install the drain or go to another drain that you can install without pulling the base. See Wing-Tite; http://www.plumbrite.com/?page=faqs&...357b13eaa0aea5
    The trap raiser should be level and plumb otherwise one edge of the lip will extend up a bit and you don't want that. How cocked is it? Regards, Tom

Sep 24, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Tom

I think it is the 101 ps glue in but can't be certain. The drain pipe (that is sticking up) and the black base under the shower are both solid in place. The black rings on the ground are rigid plastic (pvc? ). When you say pull the base... are you talking about the floor of the shower or the bottom of the drain. Pulling the whole shower is difficult it is already set in place with drywall, paint etc...

For the trap riser should I cut it from the inside out with a dremel type tool and if so go level with the shower floor or below that?

I will try to take some more pictues tomorrow to show you better how cocked it is.

Thanks
    Bobby
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2005, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1288
    Tom

I think it is the 101 ps glue in but can't be certain. the drain pipe (that is sticking up) and the black base under the shower are both solid in place. the black rings on the ground are rigid plastic (pvc??). When you say pull the base...are you talking about the floor of the shower or the bottom of the drain. Pulling the whole shower is difficult it is already set in place with drywall, paint etc...

for the trap riser should I cut it from the inside out with a dremel type tool and if so go level with the shower floor or below that?

I will try to take some more pictues tomorrow to show you better how cocked it is.

thanks

bobby
    Bobby,

Is there a putty or silicon jell seal under the lip? I see that there's a little room around the drain lip. Can you pull it from side to side a little or is ir rock solid? Yes, you'll have to cut the stubup back with a set of inside cutters. Anytime you have parts left over from installing something it worries me. Why do you have parts left over from your drain and where do they belong? Regards, Tom

Sep 28, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Almost Done
    Hey Thanks a lot for your comments. It is a caulk-less. I just had to purchase another one to raid it for parts. I cut down the riser with a dremel and cutting wheel. Came out pretty clean. I cleaned out the inside very well and found the rubber compression piece was also missing. I used a little dish soap to lubricate and pushed the rubber piece in, screwed the black ring in to compress the rubber. Everything is done... no leaks. I am wondering if it would be OK to run some caulk around the outside lip of the strainer and the shower floor just for cosmetic reasons. I am not worried about it leaking the base of the drain is rock solid (screwed in good from the back side) I just want it to look a little better.

Thanks Bobby
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2005, 06:28 AM
    Hi Bobby, Sounds like you have things pretty much under control. Great job! Give yourself a pat on the back for doing everything right. Yes you may fill the space around the lip of the drain with Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk if you wish. Again, congratulations on a job well done! Tom

Sep 29, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Done
    Thanks a lot. You have been very helpful... give yourself a pat on the back for being such a great host.

Bobby

Oct 6, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Sewer Clean out - Glue Caps??
    All of my inside and in-wall plumbing passed inspection. However the city inspector for Phoenix, AZ stated the two clean outs just outside the foundation need to be glued. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having clean outs. I can easily glue them in but feel this could be a major problem later on. Any suggestions?
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 05:49 PM
    Are they fitting cleanouts? I doubt he meant gluing the threaded plug of the cleanout in place (but then who knows, it doesn't take much to become an inspector unfortunately). Does the cleanout look like this?
    +
    If so then the cleanout body or adapter should the glued in but not the plug, never the plug

Oct 6, 2005, 06:11 PM
    Rubber Cap on Clean out
    There are two clean outs, I assume one for each direction. One upstream and one downstream. I think I know what happened. The plumber that I had to fire had a threaded one like you sent pictures of, the other side just had a rubber cap clamped down. I believe now that the threaded one was OK, but the rubber he wants me to install a solvent weld cap with a threaded plug on the top. Does this sound right?

Thanks
    Bobby
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2005, 11:30 AM
    Hi Bobby,

Killer was right on target with the type of cleanout you should install ( and no, you don't glue the threads.) If the cleanout's next to the foundation bring it up to grade if it's out in the yard somewhere then bring it up within a few inches of grade and make a drawing so you can locate it later. The reason to keep it below grade is so you don't "behead it" with a lawn mower.
    Good luck, Tom

Oct 7, 2005, 03:49 PM
    Passed Inspection
    :)
    Well the inspector came out today and it passed inspection. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Bobby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumber quote using pex, new supplies to attic [ 2 Answers ]

Hello , back again. After all the away time from country/project, I decided to ask a plumber for a quote on running the supplies for my new attic 1/2 bath. (tapping into lines in basement, running all the way up. The attic bath is adjacent to water wall) also, 1st floor bath water wall is opened...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Low hotwater pressure, plumber wants $$ to fix, I think I can do it myself [ 35 Answers ]

I'm fairly handy but the whole gas/hot water thing intimidates me. I have a 10-12 year old Rheeem Ruud hotwater tank and my hot water be it hot - has horrible pressure from every faucet. The plumber wants at least $100 dollars to come fix it and said they know exactly what it is - and made...

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search