Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reader Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Vented gas fireplace fumes
    Our direct vented gas fireplace still has an awful smell even after 20 hours of burning off the smell (the manufacturer suggested 6 to 8 hours of intense heat). The installation has been checked and is okay. The fumes are from the coating on the metal. Has anyone experienced this? We are ready to take the whole thing out and try another brand, but this was a well known brand and at the top of the line. Replacing it will be a lot of work and great expense because of the stone work all around it. Is this our only option and can anyone recommend a brand that does not require this burning off period?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Many manufactures coat metal with a oil product so it will not rust in the warehouse but from what you have described your fireplace is not normal.

I would contact the manufacture and be nice but explain something is wrong with this picture. You would like a factory rep who services your area to come out so he can witness the odor and confer with the factory.

Next I would make sure the flames are at the height they are supposed to be. I had a customer that never could get there gas fireplace to work correctly. I took a look at it and no one ever changed it over from natural gas to propane. A propane orifice is so much smaller than a natural gas one. These people has the fireplace dude out many times and the answer was right in front of him because something had to cause the flames to be so high.
    Reader Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Thank you HVC1000 for your good insight and advice on the direction I should now take. It's good to know that you think the product is defective and not just a matter of time before the smell goes away like the company is suggesting. And the height of the flames is something we'll look at too. Much appreciation for taking the time to answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fumes from a ventless gas fireplace [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter owns a three-year old townhome with a ventless gas fireplace. When she turns it on, it spells like "gas fume." Is this dangerous? If so, can she remove the gas one and replace it with an electric one? What about the gas line?

Gas Piping Question about gas fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm not sure whether to ask this question in the heating forum or here, but it seems to be more a piping question. I am installing a gas fireplace. I got it used, and pieced it together from two sources, meaning I'm needing to change a few things. The burner I got was configured...

Gas Fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas/electic ventless fireplace in one of my rental units that is working fine for the first 20-30 minutes... but then it goes out. The pilot light has to be lit again before it will turn back on. The home is 7 years old and the fireplace was installed during construction. Any ideas on what...

Gas line to a gas fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing gas fireplace place in my home that I moved 1'0" to the right. There is a copper tubing with a shut off and then flex tubing connecting to the fireplace. I am trying to add additional copper tubing on to the existing so I can extend everything to reach the new location for the...

View more questions Search