Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pnmattson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2005, 09:10 PM
    Brown smelly water backing up in tub...
    This evening when my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink she noticed that brown smelly water was coming up through the tub drain. This only occurred when she was running the hot water and would slowly drain after the hot water was turned off. Although our tub has always drained slowly we have never experienced and water coming up from the drain... HELP!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnmattson
    This evening when my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink she noticed that brown smelly water was coming up through the tub drain. This only occurred when she was running the hot water and would slowly drain after the hot water was turned off. Although our tub has always drained slowly we have never experienced and water coming up from the drain....HELP!

You have a partial blockage downstream from the tub drain caused by rotting hair and grease from soap. To clear the clog you will have to snake out the drain line. There are two ways you can access the drain. One is to snake from the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to hit the bend at the base of the vent and about 15' more. After you're through put a garden hose in the vent and flush out the drain line.
    Another way would be to snake out the tub drain itself. Since a snake can't get past the tee in the tub waste you'll have to remove the trip lever and plate from the tub waste and overflow.
    Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouln't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly Cold Water [ 29 Answers ]

We had our kitchen remodeled about 1 yr ago. All plumbing was moved to a different location in the room. In the last few months, the cold water in the sink started to smell and had a bad taste. After you run the faucet for about 5 minutes, the water does not smell, but after you leave it for a...

Help! Water backing up from pipe in basement [ 3 Answers ]

My townhouse is 1 1/2 years old and I live in the end unit. There's a 6-8 inch PVC that comes out of my basement floor. The pipe is flush with the floor and has a cover. The cover doesn't screw or snap on, it just sits on top of the pipe. 8 or 10 inches down the pipe is a cap that screws on. ...

Water backing up in shower... [ 3 Answers ]

When I do laundry, the water backs up in2 the shower, when I take a shower, I get standing water in the shower. I've snaked, used chemicals, nothing works, can't really afford a plumber, can any 1 help me PLEASE!!

Smelly sink-dont use boiling water!Bad advice [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I just tried a method of getting rid of a smelly bathroom sink by adding 1/2 gal of bleach, letting it sit overnite, and then flushing it with boiling water. To my surprise and total dissapointment, my $500 pedestal sink cracked in half due to the hot water! No one ever mentioned anything about...

Water backing up into vent pipe~Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We recently moved our water supply (kitchen) against the wall, rather then in mid kitchen (old house) previously the kitchen had had an addition (not added by us) that left the sink sitting "kitty corner" off the north wall, we wanted to utilize more space so had a friend help move the...

View more questions Search