Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brnofeathers Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 03:45 PM
    RTH230B installation (or not)
    I just brought home a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat, with terminals that look very unlike the wires connection to my old thermostat (put in by the builder in '94). The wires coming out of the wall are White, Orange, Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, and one that is kind of Pinkish. Can I use the RTH23B with this? If not, can anyone offer some guidance as to what sort of thermostat I need to look for? Thank you for any advice you may have.
    Brian
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 03:59 PM
    It looks like you had a two stage heat pump thermostat and that is what you will need to replace it with. Do you know what the wires were connected to on the old thermostat?

Sep 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Thank you for your help! All seven wires within the cable go to the terminal strip in the existing thermostat (see image). There's a letter, seeming to correspond with the first letter of the color of the wire, next to each connector on the strip.

I take it that my choice of a replacement for the original unit isn't going to cut it; that I need to find one that supports the two-stage heat pump? Is that correct?

Thanks again for your time.

Brian
    Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  78.9 KB
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
    You have a three stage heat - heat pump thermostat, what letter is that behind the blue wire?

Sep 16, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Thanks, acetc.
    It's an X.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 05:12 PM
    The X may be a "C" or common , the other wires will go to the same lettered terminals on a new thermostat, check at your air handler terminal board to see what letter it connects to. Mike

Sep 17, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I'm grateful for your help, Mike.

Thanks,

Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell RTH230B [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a very old thermostat, White-Rodgers 135-415, which I'd like to convert to a Honeywell RTH230B. Currently there are only 3 wires that are connected to the thermostat (which is only for my apartment's heat. White wire is connected to what looks to be labeled "Common" Black...

Honeywell rth230b installation [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a Honeywell LR69071 with a RTH230B. The LR69071 is currently wired the following. W2 white R red G green Y yellow B blue X black

Honeywell rth230b [ 4 Answers ]

This winter I installed honeywell rth230b. Heater works great, but I have no a/c. I have 6 wires from wall. Rh--red Rc--blue W--white Y--yellow G--green Brown not being used Help it is 90 deg. I need my a/c Thank you all

Another unsuccessful RTH230B installation [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to replace an old round mechanical thermostat (no apparent model number) with a digital programmable one (both Honeywell). It didn't go very well.. . "Wire to post" set up in the old thermostat: Red to R; Yellow to Y; Green to G; White to W; Brown to O There was also a blue wire...

Rth230b [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can program my RTH230B thermostat from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Thank you Stan

View more questions Search