Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Need Ideas
    Okay, I am creatively challenged when it comes to projects that my kids have to do for school.

My daughter has to make a strand of DNA for a science project. They already did the one that uses candy in class, so we can't do that.

Does anyone know of a really cool way to make a strand of DNA?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Here is some instructions on how to make a strand using K'Nex toys : http://tandem.bu.edu/knex/knex.pdf

My brother actually used these when he was in school and it came out awesome! :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 12:52 PM
    My son said colored marshmellows and tooth picks.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 02:24 PM
    I'll have to check the cost of the K'nex, we're on a student's budget. LOL

The marshmallows may work well.

I'm just not artistic at all.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 02:30 PM
    I know they have the Knex at Toys R Us.

Here are some of the prices : Toys "R" Us - K'Nex

I don't think it matters if you get a value set or a set such as the "ferris wheel" set, as long as it has the right pieces in the instructions I gave you above. :)

**EDIT** - Don't feel too bad, my artistic abilities are pretty much zero! LOL :p
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 02:39 PM
    LOL, well ToysRUs is out of the question for us. I am not driving 2 hours one way to get supplies.

I may get some Floam at Walmart tomorrow and see how that works.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
    2 hours... ouch! I'm pretty sure they have them at Walmart too, I was just 100% sure they had them at Toys R Us. :p

The Floam sounds like a neat idea! Let me know how it turns out!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Walmart also has the bricks of clay in different colors. I love floam.Wow I loved helping my kids do science projects. You could get skewers, or the little poms in different colors, or even stickers, some come in dots usually a sheet of 1 color. So many options... walmart has a decent craft department. Heck you could even use paint. *edit sorry I am getting carried away my baby is a freshman:(, helping with science projects are over.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Oh, FB!!

I LOVE the last link. To be perfectly honest, it's the only one I looked at. We have a store up the road called The Neighborhood Tutor that carries the kit, but they are sold out. I may just have to try making my own kit with these instructions.

THANKS A BUNCH!!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 04:17 PM
    It makes me feel so good to be able to help you J9.
    The admin and MODs rarely need our help and when you do, if we could even help one itty bit,
    The pleasures all mine. :)
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 04:18 PM
    I checked out the jewelry site too. That really looks like it could be fun. I've printed that one as Rae loves to make jewelry so that will make it more fun to her. We may just go with that one.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 04:23 PM
    I liked the jewelry one too.
    Someday... science projects in the future of my kid ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Ideas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am 27 yrs old. I Currently work for Verizon. It's a good job with decent pay and benefits. The problem is that I am just making it. My goal is to save enough money for a down payment on a house. I need some ideas for a home based bussines or any other money making ideas were I can pull...

Need ideas [ 1 Answers ]

I want to open a pool hall. But I was wondering what I need to do to get it going, like How many Tables will I need , and will it stay busy, and will it have a good income, and should I offer other things their.

Any ideas? [ 21 Answers ]

OK guys, so I am just wondering on your opinions. OK, I had my period on the 11ths. Lasted 5-7 days. On sunday(the 28th) I had a small amount of bleeding. (just enough to get on my underwear. Thought I was started my period, and rushed home from church. Surprised me, because I had only had my...

Any ideas? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend that just broke up with her boyfriend a three weeks ago and she is usually sad and doesn't want to do anything besides being in her house and by herself, she was with her boyfrined for a year and one month. The only thing is that her ex boyfriend send my friend a valentine's day...

Any ideas? [ 3 Answers ]

My parents have split up and my 8yr old brother seems to be rebelling towards my mum. He won't do as he told by her. The minute I ask him to he does it without argument. I guess my little bro is angry at my mum and maybe balmes her in some way?? He gets so upset and I have no idea what is...

View more questions Search