Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ludermae Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Cracked heels
    My heels will crack open no matter what kind of lotion I use. Anyone had this problem? If so what did you do?
    Thanks
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Try a pumice stone to slough of the roughness. Also At night I would put vaseline on and a pair of white cotton socks and see if this helps.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Maybe it is the lotion. Have you looked for specific heel creams? If you have tried over the counter heel creams and still no success, then ask your doctor for a prescription.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Do you walk on linoleum/tiled floor without slippers?
    Sometimes this hardens the heels and tends to crack in places...
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 09:35 AM
    -----------------------
    http://www.bunionbusters.com/footcare/cracked_heels.asp
    What causes cracked heels?
    Some people tend to have a naturally dry skin that predisposes them to the cracks. The thickened dry skin (callus) around the heel that is more likely to crack is often due to mechanical factors that increase pressures in that area (eg the way you walk).
    Other factors that can be involved in the cause of cracked heels include:
    Prolonged standing (at work or home, especially on hard floors)
    Being overweight (this increases the pressure on the normal fat pad under the heel, causing it to expand sideways - if the skin is not supple and flexible, the pressures to 'crack' are high)
    Open back on the shoes (this allows the fat under the heel to expand sideways and increases the pressure to 'crack')
    Some medical conditions predispose to a drying skin (eg autonomic neuropathy in those with diabetes leads to less sweating; an underactive thyroid lowers the body's metabolic rate and there is a reduction in sweating, leading to a dryness of the skin)
    Skin conditions (eg psoriasis and eczema)

Look at it this way
    Consider a tomato on the bench... when you push on it from above, it wants to expand out sideways... eventually the skin cracks.

This is what happens to the normal fat pad under your heel... as your body weight pushes down, the fat wants to expand sideways and the pressure on the skin to crack is increased. If the weight is excessive (eg prolonged standing) and the skin is not supple (eg callus and/or dry) and nothing is helping hold the fat pad under the foot (eg open backed shoes).

Self treatment for cracked heels
    Applying an oil based moisturizing cream twice daily is really important to get on top of this problem. A pumice stone can be used to reduce the thickness of the hard skin. After looking at the 'tomato' analogy above it should be obvious why it is important to avoid open backed shoes or thin soled shoes. Never try to reduce the hard skin yourself with a razor blade or a pair of scissors. There is a risk of an infection developing and taking too much off.

Management of cracked heels
    Treatment of cracked heels may involve the following:
    Investigating the cause of the problem, so this can be addressed
    Removing the hard thick skin by debriding it (often the splits will not heal if the skin is not removed). This may need to be done on a regular basis. Regular maintenance may be the best way to prevent the problem.
    If very painful, strapping may be used to 'hold' the cracks together while they heal (a maintenance program after this to prevent recurrence is very important).
    Prescription and advice regarding the most appropriate moisturizer or emollient.
    Advice about footwear and self care of the problem.
    Insoles may be used to alter the way you walk to prevent the thick skin from developing (these are indicated in cases of heel callus and are not suitable for all cases).
    A heel cup may be used to keep the fat pad from expanding sideways. This is worn in the shoe and can be very effective at prevention if used regularly.

On rare occasions some Podiatrists and Dermatologists have used a tissue 'glue' to hold the edges of the skin together, so the cracks can heal.
    ---------------------

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com...ked-Heels.html
    Remedies for Cracked Heels
    Natural cures to care for your feet and heels
    Feet care is not a disorder one can be clueless about. This is also one of the reasons people almost always neglect it. Primarily, feet care begins with some care. Home remedies have some of the best cost effective and result oriented solutions one can try and experiment with. But it is important to note that when home remedies do not cure cracked heels it is wise to take an appointment with your general physician.

Here is a compilation of the best known remedies to treat cracked heels:

-Apply any shortening or hydrogenated vegetable oil after washing the feet clean on dry and cracked areas of the feet. After applying a thick coat of shortening on the feet, wear a pair of thick socks. Leaving this application overnight can surely provide positive results in few days.

-Apply the pulp of a ripe banana on the dry or cracked area of the heel. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it clean.

-Soak the feet in lemon juice for about 10minutes. Follow this therapy on a weekly basis until one finds a change.

-A daily regime of cleaning and moisturizing is a good cure for dry or cracked heels. At the end of the day soak the feet in warm soapy water for about 15 minutes. Rinse feet and pat dry. Make a healing mixture comprising of: one teaspoon Vaseline and the juice of one lemon. Rub this mixture onto the cracked heels and other required areas of the feet till it is thoroughly absorbed. This can be done daily until visible results are obtained.

-A regular application of a mixture of glycerin and rosewater is known to soothe and cure cracked heels.

-Another result oriented solution is to melt paraffin wax and mix it well with little mustard oil. Apply on the dry or cracked area of the heels. Rinse it off in the morning. A continuous application for 10 to15 days can achieve desirable results.

Diet for Cracked Heels
    Consume a diet rich in calcium, iron, zinc and omega-3 fats
    Cracked heels are caused by deficiency of vitamins, minerals, zinc and omega 3 fatty acids. Therefore it is essential to have a diet rich in vitamins, minerals and zinc. Omega-3 fatty acids are not naturally produced by the body, therefore it has to be ingested from food or supplements.

Here is list of essential foods that one can include in a regular meal and help curb deficiencies that may cause cracked heels:

-Vitamins (Vitamin E) rich foods include: vegetable oils, green vegetables, cereals, wheat germ, whole-grain products and nuts.
    -Minerals (Calcium and Iron) rich foods include :
    1) Calcium: milk, cheese, yogurt, goat's milk, fortified soya milk, mineral water, ice cream, tinned fish, juices, cereals and broccoli are excellent sources of calcium. Dairy products such as milk and yogurt are also considered as one of the best sources of calcium.
    2) Iron: Meat, chicken and fish are good sources of iron. Iron is also available in cereals, eggs, vegetables and beans; however it is not as easily absorbed into the body as the iron from meat, chicken and fish.
    3) Zinc rich foods include: Oysters, chicken, crab, kidney beans, yogurt, brown rice, spaghetti.
    4) Omega-3 fatty acids are largely found in: Purslane herb, cold water fish, and flaxseed oil or flax seeds.

Other Suggestions for Cracked Heels
    Simple suggestions to care for your cracked feet
    Here are some simple suggestions towards caring for the feet effortlessly:

-Keep feet clean and dirt free
    -Exercise the feet regularly
    -Alternate hot and cold water for a feet bath to soothe the feet
    -Moisturize and exfoliate the feet whenever possible
    -Avoid walking bare feet as much as possible
    ----------------------------------
    poppekim Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ludermae
    My heels will crack open no matter what kind of lotion I use. Anyone had this problem? If so what did you do?
    Thanks
    My sister and I have had the same problem with dry skin. Our skin would literally crack open, too. We finally were introduced to the Arbonne product line. Neither one of us has had the yucky dry skin since we started using it over a year ago - even in the winter!
    The products are certified vegan and contain no mineral oil. I never realized that mineral oil does not soak into your skin, it just sits on top therefore never actually moisturizes it. The person who introduced me to the mineral oil thing had me soak a soda cracker in baby oil (pure mineral oil) and one in water. The cracker is pourous (respresenting our skin that is pourous). The mineral oil just shalacks it like varnish - it was gross!
    So I checked the ingredients in all my precious moisturizers, including Eucerine and Aquaphor, and noticed that mineral oil is an ingredient. That's why they never worked for the long term and just right after the shower.
    Anyway, I love the Arbonne stuff! My 1 year old has the horribly dry skin too and so I use their baby products on him. The company has been around for 27 years and they have stuck to their philosophy so that also makes me confident about the products.
    Let me know if you have any other questions for me.
    susan einar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
    I use BAG BALM (OTC drugstores) - thick coat feet, wrap in plastic bag, put on sock and leave overnight. Repeat regularly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Head over heels in love! [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me 2 dys before she left australia to go to Ohio as a camp instructor. We had been together for 18 months, and this trip is her dream, however part of the dream didn't include having a boyfriend -ie being able to hook up with whoever, whenever, so she split up. I know...

Cracked Tooth [ 1 Answers ]

Just a while ago I cracked a tooth that had a root canal a year ago. The tooth also had a cavity. I never got it crowned. Now if I go to a dentist. What are some things they can do to fix my tooth with out pulling it? My Dad told me with his cracked tooth they just fill it with this white substance...

Cracked soil [ 1 Answers ]

Our soil in the last 2 summers in our garden cracks even if we add plenty of sheep manure top soil and water-can you help?

New shoes hurting my heels [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a converse leather shoe, however, whenever I wear it, my heels would be hurt by the back of shoe... I ended up with blister heels and man it hurts. I think this shoe is stiff but I do not want to waste money buying a new shoe. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

View more questions Search