Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Sep 15, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Baby supplies
    The other day I walked into a consignment sale for children and baby things. As soon as I walked in I was completely overwhelmed. There are so many things out there for babies and I don't know what is good and what is not. I am not sure of the things I need to have and the things I will never use. This being my first pregnancy I am at a lost for what baby supplies are necessary (besides the obvious like the car seat, stoller, crib, diaper table). So I am asking all you moms out there what baby items are your favorite that you don't think you could do without and what are those items that you might have bought and never really used? Thank you for any advice.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Sep 15, 2007, 09:35 AM
    You're going to need a lot! Things like towels and washcloths, shampoo, lotion, powder, rash cream, nail clippers, nasal aspirator, blankets, binki (if you plan to use one), bottles, bibs, burp cloths. The list goes on and on! Babies R Us has a pretty good check list in their store and online.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Here is the Babies R Us checklist that was mentioned above : http://www.toysrus.com/registry/truParentsCheckList.jsp

Of course you don't need every single thing on this list. The things that automansgirl mentioned above are some of the real necessities. :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 02:03 PM
    While you are shopping for baby,
    Don't forget yourself...

Breast pads-I couldn't live without them(disposable ones) the first few months, especially when going out.
    Hot water bottle-it soothes if you put it on your back or stomach etc.
    Sanitary napkins/pads-thick,long ones are good for the first week or so.
    An easy to manage hairstyle:)
    Wet tissues with perfume-for quick freshening up when guests come in unexpectedly (especially at hospital).
    Cotton balls/swabs-cant do much without them.
    Keep a good stock of milk/juice drinks for yourself and nutritious snacks.
    A comfy pillow for your back and another to hold the baby on while feeding in bed.

Something's I could not do without for baby
    Olive oil
    Baby lotions/nappy rash creams
    Lots of tissues (theres so much to clean;))
    Baby cologne (still love the fresh smell of it)
    Johnsons Baby Bath/shampoo in One.
    And a bag to carry all necessities for baby and me while going out(I loved one with lots of pockets)

Just few things that I could think of at the moment.Hope it helps :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Don't forget the health related items such as a bulb syringe, baby thermometer, diaper cream, medicine dropper, baby nail clippers, etc. Talk to your pediatrician for over the counter recommendations such as infant pain reliever/fever reducer and other items you see on the shelves.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Don't forget the health related items such as a bulb syringe, baby thermometer, diaper cream, medicine dropper, baby nail clippers, etc. Talk to your pediatrician for over the counter recommendations such as infant pain reliever/fever reducer and other items you see on the shelves.
    Thanks Shy,
    I had forgotten about those.

Try getting those ear picks with a light at the end of it.
    Baby nail files or even scissors are good too.

Don't forget to get Gripe water too.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Sep 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
    What is Gripe water?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
    As a mother and a nurse I suggest you steer clear of Gripe Water. Heck, I don't even know if we have that here in Tennessee. It is known to contain alcohol. So if you want to use it check out the label and get the go ahead from your pediatrician.

Gripe water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On with the list...

Baby bathtub

If you plan on using baby powder, put it in your hand and rub it on to baby. Simply shaking it on baby can result in powder aspiration (not good).

Rectal thermometer is the best for a newborn

Beware of baby nail clippers or scissors, you risk cutting babies smooth skin.

Pacifier specifically made for medicine, if you plan on using a pacifier

If you plan on using bottles, make sure you have extra nipples.

Do you have a dishwasher? There is a really neat thingy that looks like a cage that you put nipples and nipple rings in. Remember that the dishwasher on the heat dry cycle is the closest thing you will get to sterilization.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 08:52 PM
    The little mittens for baby's hands when they are first born are good if you don't want to use clippers on baby's delicate finger nails yet. They help keep them from scratching themselves. Neither of my sons kept them on however. If you get baby shoes, beware that they don't last long, and are more cumbersome then cute in the end. Great for pics, or just keepsakes etc, but when it comes to those hourly diaper and clothing changes, they get real annoying, real fast. If you plan on using a binki, get a binki clip. The kind that has the teeth grips and not just the pinch latch. (the pinch latch comes off way too easy, the teeth grips take some real forceful tugging to get them off.) Saves a lot of trouble and trips to the sink to keep washing off a dropped binki.(just be sure to take it off anytime you lay your baby down for sleep, or leave them unattended.) The non-medicated nasal drops are great for use before using a nasal aspirator. Tons of wipes(non-scented are best) tons of diapers(but don't stock up on a ton of the newborn diapers, as most babies will outgrow them within the first few weeks. For example, when you have a baby shower, ask for size 1 and up in diapers. Then buy several packs of newborn diapers yourself. That way you save expense.), and tons of onesies/sleepers. (the little frilly, fancy outfits are fun, but when youhave to go through so many spit up/poop changes, and diaper changes, all the extra buttons etc get frustrating. Go simple and fast) If you are having a boy, and getting him circumsized, you will need gauze pads and vaseline. You will also need q-tips/cotton balls and rubbing alcohol to use for the umbilical stump. I definitely suggest a bassinet for the first few months, as it can sit easily by your bedside, and when you are waking up every hour for feedings throughout the night, having baby close by is a must. Lots of spit up clothes. A breast pump(if you plan to breastfeed. And if you don't, it can help take the edge off the engorgement in the first 48 hours. But be careful not to pump too much, as this will stimulate more milk flow.) It helps out a lot when you are engorged. I got so badly engorged and cracked with both my boys, I ended up with mastitis, and having the pump really helped to give my nipples a bit of a break. Breast pads(but makes sure they aren't the ones lined with plastic, as these retain moisture and can lead to more infections then other pads) sanitary pads.I suggest that you get the super sized, extra long, with WINGS. The wings are a life saver, because in the beginning with all the heavy flow, you are already going to have to go through enough overflow, without not having the wings to help. And on that subject, lots of undies (and loose fitting comfortable clothes for you) at the hospital. They will provide these for you, however, you may not like their kinds that they offer, and find you are more comfortable with your own. BLACK undies are ideal, as far as the stain issue goes. Nursing bras with an easy open/close snap. I personally don't like the hook and eye kinds, as they are just too hard to do one handed, without being able to see it. If you have a large house, baby monitors are nice, because they allow you to go farther away from where your baby is, and not have to worry about not being able to hear if your baby needs you. Baby clippers with the extended handle so it fits nicely in your palm are great. These help you keep them more steady in your hand, so you have less chance of slipping and hurting you baby.Some people swear by diaper genies, etc. I never got one because of the expense and hassle. I just preferred a large kitchen trash can. The diapers pile up so fast, you have to change the trash before it starts to stink anyway, so that is just the route I chose. A night light is great, because you don't want to have to turn on a bright light ever hour throughout the night, waking you baby and spouse up each time. Rocking chairs are a MUST as far as I am concerned. Swings, and/or bouncy chairs.(I prefer the bouncy chair because I can pick it up and take it room to room with me, easier then a swing) I got a boppy pillow, but honestly, I didn't use it much for breastfeeding. Instead, I used it to sit on when I came home from the hospital. It works perfect. If you turn it around so the thick round part is facing towards your legs, and the open ends are facing towards the chair you are sitting on, it provides just enough support to keep your ultra sensitive areas lifted and pressure free, and its so comfortable. Some things are a must, but you don't have to get them until several months down the road. High chairs for example. Just try to keep in mind how old babies will be when they use certain things. A baby bath won't be used for about a week or two after baby is born, as baby's belly submerged in water until its umbilical cord calls off. Anyway, that's all I can think of for now, and its getting way too late, and this post way too long. Good luck!
    steffaniem Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Breast pads definitely!! Tey go right in your bra like the ones you use for your period go in your uderwear. Soothing motions glider works well, but my son is only 5 weeks old. He is my first child too. Clothes though, we have so much stuff that he will never use. Newborn pants are the only size that fit him, and he was not too small when he was born. It is really a learning experince! Just keep receipts so u canreturn or exchange.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 03:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    What is Gripe water?
    Gripe water here in the uk hasn't contained any alcahol for years, and all health visitors and midwives tell you not to use baby powder as its related to respretry problems.
    Is talcum powder safe for babies?

To be honest that list from toys are us is a costly crazy one there's stuff on there you would never use let alone need and so many things you won't need for months maybe even a year, there are perfectly good guidelines on places like the huggies site and pampers.
    I warn you now though there is so much conflicting advice its crazy and I do believe that when it comes down to it your gut instinct goes a lot farther than you realise.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Gripe water here in the uk hasnt contained any alcahol for years, and all health visitors and midwives tell you not to use baby powder as its related to respretry problems.
    Is talcum powder safe for babies?

To be honest that list from toys r us is a costly crazy one theres stuff on there you would never use let alone need and so many things you wont need for months maybe even a year, there are perfectly good guidelines on places like the huggies site and pampers.
    I warn you now though there is so much conflicting advice its crazy and i do believe that when it comes down to it your gut instinct goes alot farther than you realise.
    I could not use talcum powder either, because it irritated my baby's skin as she had cradle cap and it effected her neck and inside of elbows too.

I agree with CBW, buying all the things from the Toys R us list is not necessary, and that by buying the basic necessities is good,but other than that best is to follow own instincts.

And babies outgrow clothes and booties, better to have one good pair that fits and is comfortable.Clothes that could be easily changed are good to have (especially for when the baby is at home) as they get dirty so quicky with drool and formula and "throw ups".

The baby suits that have buttons at the bottom are so easy, to change and clean whenever necessary.

If you Bekha plan on breast feeding, get some clothes/tops with buttons in the front, easy for feeding.And a nursing bra too is good to have.
    And girdles, I had one and it helped support my back and tummy the first month.
    baby broody Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Sep 17, 2007, 08:41 AM
    hi, the list is endless, apart from the obvious, I would recommend you buy some kind of medicine or solution for colic, my boy had it from 3 days old and he would cry non-stop, cos of the windy stomach, I luved and used infacol (in the UK might be different where u live) I used to give it him a while before his feed time and it would sooth his stomach. I also never bought any baby toilitries the only things I used on him was baby oil/olive oil for his massages, water and cotton wool to clean his face, eyes and bottom - no baby wipes, and for his bath just warm water and that all. Its not as if babies get dirty so I recommend don't use harsh shampoos and lotions on their delicate skin.
    Essential items you will need:-
    moses basket or basinette - easier than crib cos you can take it up at night and put it beside your bed, depending on size of baby they last about 6 months and then u can invest in a cot, my wee boy has a cot bed, when he turned 2 I turned it into a bed, money saving and the cot gets good use out of it, bouncy/rocking chair great to keep the baby in, and there's new ones out now which have an automatic rocking and music feature on them so you don't have to do anything, just press the button, there great if your working in the kitchen or in the garden, take baby along with you, playmats with dangling toys, great to keep babies entertained, my boys spent most of his baby days under that thing - lol. bottle steriliser, baby monitors these are all items you can buy and invest in over the years as long as they are neutral colours which go for both girl or boy.
    one last thing I would like to say is don't buy a lot of clothing before the birth, I know its hard when your shopping and can't keep yourself from buying those cute outfits, I'm also guilty of this but my husbands the one with his head screwed on. I only bought a pack of baby vests and a 3 pack of baby romper suits (the top until toe suits) both in the unisex range as I didn't know what I was having. As soon as the baby was born - a boy @ midnite my husband went out the following mornin and bought sum boyish clothing, and then on top of that his grandparents - both sides, aunties, uncles, cousins friends, neighbours all gave him clothing gifts and before I knew it he had a better wardrobe collection than me - lol.
    anyway this post is getting wayyy toooo looong, I would just like to add think practically with what u buy especially if finances are a problem and babies are expensive. And all the best and hope you have a great pregnancy anda great time shopping. Hope I was helpful :D
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 08:59 AM
    The disposable breast pads, tuks pads (for your lady parts), a binky clip (best invention ever!), the baby sleep bags (awesome for easy changing and naps), sleep and play outfits (easy access), milk storage bags (these are awesome if you pump, because you can freeze them and stock up for when nursing isn't the easiest) birdseye diapers (make great burp clothes), those travel bags for diapers that you just roll out of the little clip (great for when no trash can is around), mylecon, buy different types of binkys if you plan on using them, as your child will most likely reject the one you stock up on... lol.. butt paste (it is actually called this) best diaper crème I have ever used, Hylands teething tablets (I swore by these, but some parents I talked to said they didn't work for their child), oscillating (bouncy) chair (god's gift to mothers), the infant carrier rather than the carseat that stays in the car (a lot of parents are choosing the kind that stays in your car to save some money in the future, but it is so worth it for the ability to snap the carrier out of the car and into the stroller or vice-versa without waking the baby... ) if you are expecting a winter baby - a bunting (coat that covers the whole body like a bag with a little hole between the legs for the carseat belt to slip through - much easier than blankets) I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned, and I may have repeated some things...
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
    BTW the list in What to Expect While You are expecting is great...
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Sep 17, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Here's a list of things I bought or received that I rarely if ever used:

Baby wash cloths and towels - really soft regular wash cloths work just as well if not better. I had around thirty of these things and just donated a good 20 of them unused and still folded the same way they were before my daughter was born. And you can use the regular ones that are designated for baby use well into the toddler and past years, or as long as the regular wash cloths last;

A baby tub - I really planned on using this but never did. After her cord came off, I used bath time as a Mommy-Daughter bonding experience where I brought her into the tub with me. I kept a comfy basket with a large (i.e. adult sized) soft towel next to the tub to place her when I got out. Now I use the basket for her laundry.

Fifty-million white t-shirts and onesies - I have about 49,999,990 of them still new ready to be donated. I kept her in footed pajamas from day one and didn't really get around to putting her in those t-shirts. You will need onesies, but try to limit yourself to ten. I love the footy pajamas. They are much more practical.

Tummy Time Mat - Okay, I had two of these, but guess what we used most often? A polar fleece blanket big enough for baby and a parent with baby's favorite objects just out of reach. More comfy and great for other uses, like snuggling with a toddler during reading a couple years later.

Too many toys - babies just don't need that many toys. A teether, a whoozit that can go anywhere, a rattle and a crib mirror are pretty much all that are necessary until the kid is old enough to sit up and/or crawl. Nothing like being a parent and shaking one of the million toys you bought for your brand new baby, only to hear her cry and want nothing but to be cuddled and sung to.

Now, the things I found I really needed:

Infant swing - while this item may only be useful for the first few months of life, it will give you some much needed sanity. I recommend the papasan cradle swing. You can change swinging from back-front to side-side with little effort. More naps will be taken in the swing than anywhere else.

cloth diapers to use as burp cloths - don't waste money on the flimsy things sold as burp cloths. Get the cloth diapers, thick gerber ones. They will absorb everything and save you that nice dress that you bought to go to dinner with your spouse for the first foray outside the house when Grandma comes to babysit.

bassinet or pack and play portable crib - I may not be in the majority, but I kept her in my room for the first few months. The family got more sleep as a result, and I didn't have to get out of bed to feed her every two hours.

swaddling blankets - I went through 1-2 of these a day. She loved to be swaddled tightly. They kept her warm and comforted during the day.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
    firmbeliever agrees: I have heard butt paste solves more than nappy rash..
    Oh yes, its kind of pricy, but it works on heat rash, yeast infections, diaper rash, all kinds of things. And it works FAST! Whch is so important with a baby in pain.. It really is amazing.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Oh! I can't believe I forgot to add this to my list. Its been a life saver for us with both my boys. LANSINOH. Its great for sore nipples when breastfeeding, but is an amazing diaper rash cream. virtually every one of the rashes were gone within 24 hours. Comes in a purple tube, (usually in the feeding isle with bottles etc)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Supplies business [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of setting up a medical supplies business And my main proplem for now is where to stock up These products how to get buyers I mean the hospitals And the clinics and most importantly how to get licenced With madicare/medicaid. Solomon

Wholesale tropical fish equipment and supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi rick... I'm interested in getting information on wholesale tropical fish keeping equipment and supplies

School supplies and clothes [ 20 Answers ]

This question maybe should be in the education area, but there are some "emotional" aspects to it so I thought I'd post it here. My children will be in school very shortly. Two of mine are both starting school, and I'm also currently taking care of 2 nephews and a niece, who are also school age....

Sizing guide for pex supplies [ 5 Answers ]

hello again speedball, so I've decided to tackle my pex plumbing project myself and not shell out $700 to the "I know a guy" guy. From what I've read so far, sizing pex is the same as copper, but I value your input greatly. I am running supplies for an attic half bath. The total run for...

Power Supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to be traveling in the caribean, I'd like to take my laptop and camcorder... does anyone know if I need to purchase a separate power regulator, or do the power supplies attached to most electronics take care of any powe surge or lack thereof Thank

View more questions Search