Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niumom55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Spousal Early Retirement & Medicare Disability Ind.
    My husband took early retirement at age 56 from a worldwide company. He signed up for his group health insurance to be continued for both of us. I am on Medicare through being disabled for 3 years prior to his retirement. After 1 year 1 month on retirement his
    Benefits dept. is saying Medicare is primary for me--Medicare says his group health is primary - Who is Correct and What rule applies to this?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 17, 2007, 09:09 AM
    I believe Medicare would be considered your primary since you were signed up for it before your husbands and they've picked up the bulk of your expenses since. I'm not 100% certain though, so you might want to study both policies and see if either states "secondary to Medicare" or something similar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early retirement [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 13 year former employee of United Parcel Service. I reach the age of 55 in November and I would like to know what the repercussions are for taking out early retirement?

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

Early retirement [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning to retire at age 45, maybe 46. What would be the best way to extract money with least amount of penalty? I've been told annuities or something like that. Also, what would be a maximum annual amount that I could get? Thanks!

Retirement because of Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I have worked for this company for 30yrs & have been on permanent disability for the last 2 yrs. I called today to respectfully tell them I will not be returning due to permanent disability. I have spoken with our long term disability provider & they said I must contact the company. I have told...

View more questions Search