Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Is resentment against the Americans up or down
    Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began?

But on second thought, when has any of this been about what they want.:)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
    I saw the results of a poll of Iraqis published last week, and it was negative toward America's efforts. Sorry, I can't give you a link.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I saw the results of a poll of Iraqis published last week, and it was negative toward America's efforts. Sorry, I can't give you a link.
    I’ve seen a number of different purported results from polls out there revolving somewhere near 40 to 60% one way or another, but in my wildest imagination I can’t see where any sane person living there would be happy with the situation.

I’m becoming more and more disgusted with the inept way this Machiavellian approach has all played out. America has usually at least had somewhat of a puppet government in place before overthrowing a government; a least a somewhat supported band of rebels.

I expect to see the large demonstrations begin before spring if things remain as they are.

:eek:
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Crow, after Bush's speech a couple of days ago, serious opposition must begin in the streets and everywhere. The man is incompetent and vain, plus a liar and Constitution destroyer just like Nixon. There are still many stupid people who don't pay attention to foreign policy; marching in the street will get their attention. Since Impeachment is impossible now, the people have to make their will known... NO ENDLESS WAR...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 02:29 AM
    We are the "invaders and occupiers" according to the left, and the Sunni insurgents are the "resistance". But now that the former Sunni insergents are largely aligned with us against al Qaeda, does that make them occupiers or does it make us the resistance?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    But now that the former Sunni insergents are largely aligned with us against al Qaeda, does that make them occupiers or does it make us the resistance?
    The Sunni sheiks are very shrewd. They see that opposition to Al Qaeda is a way to get weapons and legitimacy from the US and put themselves in a stronger position for the inevitable "mother of all battles" with the Shiites. Thus do we add fuel to the fire under the pressure cooker and guarantee an even more violent explosion when the lid finally does blow.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Sorry if this is off topic, but something I really don't understand. Sunni, Shiites, Al Qaeda, are they not all Muslims? Freely killing each other. I know, or at least based on the Islam leaders actions, Islam has a problem with the rest of the world, but all the infighting amongst themselves?

Is this like Catholics and Christians killing each other. Or like Catholics and Episcopalians killing each other? I am familiar with English and the Irish killing each other, Protestant against Catholic, but more for political reasons than differences in which god is better.

I thought I seen that Islam is one of the, or is the religion, with the most population. Seems that the groups fighting is a very small percentage of the overall population, if I am correct in my understanding. Are these groups that the remaining population really don't care about, evident by the fact that they do or say absolutely nothing to stop the fighting?

Seems Al Qaeda is an equal opportunity murdering group, they don't seem to care who they kill. And the vast members of Islam sit back and don't say boo.

Why was it fine for USA to go and help the Muslims in Bosnia, but not here? Am I correct that Bosnia was not an Islam group against each other, but an attempt at genocide against the Muslims, and off we go, let USA go help the underdog, preserve the right for Muslims to exist in that part of the world, get no help from other Muslims, but on the other hand did not get any disapproval either.

Again, USA goes in to help the underdog, remove the Baath party (is this a religion or a political group, who the hell knows), to allow 24 million people the chance to live as we do, as best we can anyway, we are certainly not perfect, what with the killings we have here, and the people left to prosper then split up into teams and fight against themselves.

While I believe that USA, and Bush truly believes we can help others live in harmony and relative comfort, perhaps we should find politicians that will finally realize that we should just mind our own god damn business, stay home, and let the rest of the world fight amongst themselves and let the best group, party, religion, country, whatever, win. Survival of the fittest.

Think of the savings in American lives and money we can save.

Even in Palestine they kill each other. And the vast population of Islams have no problem with this, only with the Jews. Appears to help Israel, perhaps that is what their plan is, sit back and let them kill each other. Seems to be the path of least resistance for the underdog in this conflict, Israel, what with being surrounded by Islam.

Except for Christian Lebanon, that does not like Israel either. I guess Lebanon's Christians did not get the memo that the Christians here in the USA are helping Israel.

Again, sorry if this a different path of discussion, if so, delete or move this post. But I truly would like to know the answers to the questions I posed.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Sunni, Shiites, Al Qaeda, are they not all Muslims? Freely killing each other. I know, or at least based on the Islam leaders actions, Islam has a problem with the rest of the world, but all the infighting amongst themselves?
    People who love to fight, and are quick to take offense at every slight or insult to their "honor" will never lack for justification. Al Qaeda is primarily Sunni, but is now being fought by the Sunni tribes in Anbar province. In Basra, where it's all Shiite, there are multiple competing militias fighting each other for dominance. In Kirkuk, it's Arabs against Kurds.

It isn't really about religion. It's about money and power and vengeance for outrages and insults that go back into the dim mists of the past. Anybody who understood even a little bit of this culture and history would have seen how foolhardy it was to create a power vacuum, add lots of weapons and money and stir the pot, hoping for a benign outcome. GWB and his neocon minions had not a clue going in, and they apparently haven't learned a thing from all the chaos they've unleashed.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    People who love to fight, and are quick to take offense at every slight or insult to their "honor" will never lack for justification. Al Qaeda is primarily Sunni, but is now being fought by the Sunni tribes in Anbar province. In Basra, where it's all Shiite, there are multiple competing militias fighting each other for dominance. In Kirkuk, it's Arabs against Kurds.

It isn't really about religion. It's about money and power and vengeance for outrages and insults that go back into the dim mists of the past. Anybody who understood even a little bit of this culture and history would have seen how foolhardy it was to create a power vacuum, add lots of weapons and money and stir the pot, hoping for a benign outcome. GWB and his neocon minions had not a clue going in, and they apparently haven't learned a thing from all the chaos they've unleashed.
    It is a religious war according to George W. Bush:

“George W. Bush plumbed the deepest place in himself, looking for a simple expression of what the assaults of September 11 required. It was his role to lead the nation, and the very world. The President, at a moment of crisis, defines the communal response. A few days after the assault, George W. Bush did this. Speaking spontaneously, without the aid of advisers or speechwriters, he put a word on the new American purpose that both shaped it and gave it meaning. "This crusade," he said, "this war on terrorism."”

“Here is the deeper significance of Bush's inadvertent reference to the Crusades: Instead of being a last recourse or a necessary evil, violence was established then as the perfectly appropriate, even chivalrous, first response to what is wrong in the world. George W. Bush is a Christian for whom this particular theology lives. While he identified Jesus as his favorite "political philosopher" when running for President in 2000, the Jesus of this evangelical President is not the "turn the other cheek" one. Bush's savior is the Jesus whose cross is wielded as a sword.”

Bold added by me.

Tomgram: James Carroll on Bush's war
    Varoth Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Crow, after Bush's speech a couple of days ago, serious opposition must begin in the streets and everywhere. The man is incompetent and vain, plus a liar and Constitution destroyer just like Nixon. There are still many stupid people who don't pay attention to foreign policy; marching in the street will get their attention. Since Impeachment is impossible now, the people have to make their will known......NO ENDLESS WAR......
    WOAH, WOAH, WOAH, I don't like bush that much either, but who else do you think can fix this, a democrat? Another republican? an independent? Fact of the matter is no matter who the hell is in charge, there is still bound to be screw ups by all parties. Animal farm is a good example of this.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 10:29 AM
    The religious war is by international jihad. I see nothing wrong with acknowledging that basic fact.

Besides an inadvertent reference misspoken about a crusade where is James Carrol's basis for his mischaracterization of President Bush's faith ?

Ordinaryguy; were the Sunni sheiks equally as shrewd when they sheltered and fought along side the foreign jihadists ? I think it more likely that they see our efforts as honest ;that we do not intend to remain "occupiers " . They are backing the right horse .

The under reported news is the shia have learned a lesson form this and this bottom up support for stability is taking root in some of the areas controlled by extremist shia like al -Sadr.

The under reported news is that even though the Parliament have not forged formal oil revenue sharing that in fact it is happening without the law that our Congress is hot for them to pass.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
    the religious war is by international jihad. I see nothing wrong with acknowledging that basic fact.

Besides an inadvertent reference misspoken about a crusade where is James Carrol's basis for his mischaracterization of President Bush's faith ?
    I believe Carroll would answer that he was not suggesting that Bush was the originator of American fundamentalism; far from it. To get at the answer of whether American fundementalism is a factor in this war on terror I think we need to answer the question, “ What is the mark of a fundamentalist mindset?
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Ordinaryguy; were the Sunni sheiks equally as shrewd when they sheltered and fought along side the foreign jihadists ?
    Well, no. It took them awhile to find out that the foreign jihadis were less useful to their cause than the US, but they've known all along that the real fight would be with the Shiites and Kurds, and they're doing what they think will give them the greatest advantage in that fight.
    I think it more likely that they see our efforts as honest ;that we do not intend to remain "occupiers " . They are backing the right horse .
    The right horse? In whose race? Do you think that the presence of foreign jihadis is all that's keeping them from making nice and settling down to build a stable multi-cultural democracy?

The under reported news is the shia have learned a lesson form this and this bottom up support for stability is taking root in some of the areas controlled by extremist shia like al -Sadr.

The under reported news is that even though the Parliament have not forged formal oil revenue sharing that in fact it is happening without the law that our Congress is hot for them to pass.
    Oh, yeah, everything's coming up roses. It must be the liberal media's preference for violence that keeps them from reporting on all the peace and harmony that's flooding the land. Bwa ha ha ha!!
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 18, 2007, 12:49 PM
    As the USA remains the only "superpower" there will be resentment.
    Resentment of our freedoms, military and economic power.

Do we deserve a large portion of it - yes. - look at our culture and hypocrisy, but no nation or individual is perfect.

Does the world's opinion of us really matter to the average American?
    To me, just a little.

I certainly would not suggest following whatever the UN says, in order to gain a higher world opinion of us.

Oh, About "turning the other cheek" - is that a personal choice or meant for nations?
    And while we are on religious analogies,
    did not Jesus use His power to defeat sin and evil, to give His followers freedom?
    If the US uses its power to give the Iraquis freedom, isn't that similar.

Grace and Peace
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    As the USA remains the only "superpower" there will be resentment.
    Resentment of our freedoms, military and economic power.

Do we deserve a large portion of it - yes. - look at our culture and hypocrisy, but no nation or individual is perfect.

Does the world's opinion of us really matter to the average American?
    To me, just a little.

I certainly would not suggest following whatever the UN says, in order to gain a higher world opinion of us.

Oh, About "turning the other cheek" - is that a personal choice or meant for nations?
    And while we are on religious analogies,
    did not Jesus use His power to defeat sin and evil, to give His followers freedom?
    If the US uses its power to give the Iraquis freedom, isn't that similar.

Grace and Peace
    “Go forth and teach all nations,” Jesus commands. This commission is implicit in Americas war to establish democracy—or “freedom”—everywhere. When Americans talk about freedom, it’s our secular code word for salvation. There’s no salvation outside the church; there’s no freedom outside the American way of life.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Apparently we are selling weapons to Iraq? To the tune of $1.6 billion with the possibility of up to $1.8 billion more??

Petraeus is quoted as saying that the arms sales are an important part of the initiative to keep the Iraqis "rapidly expanding their security forces." Of course, these U.S. arms might help the Iraqi security forces for the short term, but isn't there a chance that the U.S. military could lose control this entire initiative?--weapons we sold turned on us or on each other in a civil war?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 18, 2007, 01:29 PM
    DC:

Theological freedom is from sin, and is individual. This is what the great commission is about. There is no recognition of racial or national identity.

Quite different from the American freedom to express ones self, vote, have consumer choices, etc...

Which is still better than having to think, act, believe as the powers that be want you to.

Grace and Peace
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    DC:

Theological freedom is from sin, and is individual. This is what the great commission is about. There is no recognition of racial or national identity.

Quite different from the American freedom to express ones self, vote, have consumer choices, etc...

which is still better than having to think, act, believe as the powers that be want you to.
    Grace and Peace
    I am referring to Fundamentalism:
    To read texts for their theological meaning rather than for their historical literalness would undercut the whole affirmation of the religion. The next thing, you'd be saying that Jesus didn't rise from the dead on the third day.
    Scripture can't make a mistake, right? It has to be read literally.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 04:00 AM
    "You know, you look back over our history, and it doesn't take you long to realize that our people have shed more blood for other people's liberty than any other combination of nations in the history of the world.''

-- Fred D. Thompson

That my friend is American fundamentalism
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2007, 07:58 AM
    "You know, you look back over our history, and it doesn't take you long to realize that our people have shed more blood for other people's liberty than any other combination of nations in the history of the world.''

-- Fred D. Thompson

That my friend is American fundamentalism
    Hi Tom

Or is it just Politics... I’m for Fred either way.:) the claim - washingtonpost.com

“A grandiose claim that is hard to justify no matter how you define "other people's liberty." Let's begin by looking at U.S. casualties in foreign wars. (Domestic conflicts such as the Revolutionary War and the Civil War are excluded.)”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Culture traits of americans [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know what a culture trait is? What are some culture traits of americans?

Role Reversal/Resentment [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the right area to post this, but I just really want to vent more than anything. I went back to work in the corporate world after a few years at home. My husband and I own a real estate business, so I ran that and took care of the house and kids while he worked a full-time...

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

How can I get over my resentment? [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé has a 16 year old son that he spends all his spare time with. Mind you, I am not jealous of the relationship they have... I think it's great that they have so many common interests (dirtbikes and such). The problem is, my fiancé always has time for his son, but when I want to do...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search