Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    32diamonds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Windows starts to come on
    Hi,

Windows starts to come on, then I get a black screen that say 'no signal"
    In a white box.

I don't want to redu the whole system recovery. What should I do?

Thanks

:confused:
    ajsholdings Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Have you changed any hardware or any bios settings recently?
    spectre327 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 08:15 AM
    I believe the only thing you can do I reformat and reinstall windows as this appears to be a corrupted operating system.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Sep 16, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Howdy:

Have you tried booting into "Safe Mode"?

What happens if you do?

I wouldn't go to the extreme of re-installing yet as you may only have a bad video card or drivers.

Murray
    stlouisclimber Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Sep 19, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 32diamonds
    Hi,

Windows starts to come on, then i get a black screen that say 'no signal"
    in a white box.

I dont want to redu the whole system recovery. What should I do?

Thanks

:confused:
    We really need more info. Like your OS. This sounds like your OS might be corrupted. Like the previous person said Safe Mode 1st. If you can't figure it out, reboot to last good config. As I'm sure you're aware of, situations like this is why people need an excellent backup system.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 20, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Sounds to me like your video is set to a higher resolution than the monitor supports.
    If you're on windows XP, try going to the startup menu, and booting up with VGA mode. It gives you the most basic video settings, while still running all your drivers and programs (unlike safe mode, which loads a minimum amount of drivers and programs).

Right after the bios screen shows (where most computers used to beep), and right before the windows logo comes on the screen, press F8 a few times. It should bring you to a 'startup menu'. Just select VGA mode from there. If it works, just set the video settings to something else. If it's a setting the monitor doesn't support, the screen will show what you were describing earlier. Just wait 15 seconds and it will go back to how it was.

Did you replace the monitor recently? That can make this happen sometimes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Monitor starts up until after windows xp loading then says "no Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, last night my friend came round with his laptop an we watched a film using my monitor. I turned off my computer, unplugged the monitor an plugged it into his laptop, we watched the film fine, he went home. Next day in the morning I went to turn my comuter on, it loaded up until just after the...

Inducer motor starts running, but ignition never starts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Payne Gas forced air furnace, and it's behavior has changed in the last couple of days, where it never gets past the Inducer motor cycle. When we turn on the thermostat (or even jumper across the "R" and "W" leads on the furnace controller) the inducer motor starts running and keeps...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search