Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meangene Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 09:16 AM
    # speed fan pull switch replacement
    I replaced 2 hunter fan pull switches. They are the double stacked switch similar to the 5-8 wire fan switch at Lowe's #33906.

I cut one wire at a time and correctly inserted into correct numbered hole per stack. My fan works but not correctly as it only has two speeds.

They both operate the same - first pull - nothing, second pull -low speed, third pull- high speed.

Fans should start high -med -low speed per pull. What gives? Is the internals of the switch different from a hunter switch? I know it wired correctly because I've compared the setups with the old switch which still has a small poece of wire color coded!

Meangene
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 02:20 PM
    How many wires were on the original switch? How many on the replacement? Is there a dual capacitor in the fan? Which type of capacitor (# of wires)? CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - Capacitors

Sep 14, 2007, 04:00 PM
    6 wires, I'm not sure it is a choke or capacitor across the switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
    There are different types of 5-8 wire switches. They all look the same on the outside. You need to get the correct one. Probably best to order it from Hunter.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php

Sep 17, 2007, 07:35 AM
    We'll the fan is dead now. Maybe the cap or transformer opened? Luckily I didn't have a bad short or meltdown! Too bad manufacturers can't standardize config. I replaced the fan for $40 end of story!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Did you ever call Hunter they should have helped you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan pull chain switch replacement [ 20 Answers ]

I recently changed the 3 speed 4 wire switch on a ceiling fan as the old one had a broken collar. I purchased a replacement at Lowe's. The replacement worked at high speed only. I was careful in noting which color wires went into slots 1,2, 3 & L. Thinking that the new switch was defective, I...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

Ceiling Fan Pull String 3-speed Switch [ 1 Answers ]

What if someone by mistake wrongly connect the load on the switch (L) to one of the other wires (yellow, red, green)? Can this (cross wiring or mixing) cause (cross-wire) damage to the motor? Please help. I need this help urgently.

View more questions Search