Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MoonDust Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Law Suit after 2 Debit Valaditations letters
    I have sent 2 valaditation letters to an attorney who is representing a collection agency which operates as a francise. He did not valaditate the debt... I have copys of the letters the validation letters and a copy of the certified mailing receipt. After the second letter and after 30 days a sherrif came to my door with a law suit from this attorney. What should I do to keep this attorney form getting a judgment on me. File an answer? Send him another letter? I have until Sept 21 to do something. Could some one with the knowledge (there are some very smart men in this help desk) please tell me what I need to do or how to handle this.
    Thank you
    MoonDust:confused:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 10:25 AM
    File NOtice of Intent to defend with the court and send a copy to the attorney for the plaintiff.

After you file the notice send the attorney a discovery notice and demand the produce the original contract you signed, a complete account from the beginning of the alleged debt, request the SOL on this alleged debt.

If they fail to provide anything with discovery, File Motion to Compell discovery,

Part of your defense will be failure to validicate the alleged debt, now do not admit or deny anything until they provide you with the orioginal contract you signed, to compare signatures.

Sep 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Mr. Yet,
    I will go first thing Monday morning and file an intent to defend. Are the papers at the court to fill out? I sent the validation letters you have in this help desk is this what I am to send again to the Attorney who filed the suit?
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 10:44 AM
    On the summons you receive should be a part you can file with the court, if not send a notice to the court on plain paper, court name , palintiff name v defendant name and case # NOTICE OF INTENT TO DEFEND. now discovery to the attorney, limited the number of questions to about 7 or 8 questions.

Sep 14, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Mr. Yet,
    I will go first thing Monday morning and file an intent to defend. Are the papers at the court to fill out? I sent the validation letters you have in this help desk is this what I am to send again to the Attorney who filed the suit? Mr. Yet Thank You so much for you sharing your knowdlege.
    MoonDust

Sep 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Don't you have posted on this help desk in the vlidation letters the questions I need to ask?
    MoonDust
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonDust
    Don't you have posted on this help desk in the vlidation letters the questions I need to ask?
    MoonDust
    Yes, there is a validcation letter on the forum, but don't use that for discovery. You can pick out 7 or 8 questions and a I suggested earlier in the post.
    Fighting_the_Deb Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Let us know how you are doing! I've just been through the same thing last month, so don't let them scare you! :D I know it takes some time and energy, but it's worth it. I have had a pretrial on 9/6 and am due for mediation on 9/25. If they are willing to break the law in an attempt to intimidate you, that indicates to me that they haven't got a thing to prove this is yours.

Don't forget, bringing forth a lawsuit after you have requested validation of the debt is illegal, as it is collection activity under the FDCPA. Sue those jerks in return!

Sep 18, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_the_Deb
    Let us know how you are doing!! I've just been through the same thing last month, so don't let them scare you! :D I know it takes some time and energy, but it's worth it. I have had a pretrial on 9/6 and am due for mediation on 9/25. If they are willing to break the law in an attempt to intimidate you, that indicates to me that they haven't got a thing to prove this is yours.

Don't forget, bringing forth a lawsuit after you have requested validation of the debt is illegal, as it is collection activity under the FDCPA. Sue those jerks in return!

THANK YOU for the encouragment. It is very scar---ry. Iwent in the courthouse today and filed INTENDT TO DEFEND. Was not real sure I knew what I was doing but it worked. Mr. Yet told me to now do a DISCOVERY and send to the attorneys. These guys are sleize to the max. Are you going to sue your attorneys? I wonder if you have to get an attorney for that?
    Thanks
    MoonDust

Sep 18, 2007, 03:54 PM
    AS for as I know I would check the SOL in your state for the debt you are talking about.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card law suit [ 3 Answers ]

I lost a substantial % of my income for approximately 7 months. It will be restored in March 06. Amex, however is demanding payment in full, and wish to proceed to collection and possibly law suit. They say there's no room for leniency. I know I owe them money and have offered to pay a smaller...

Law suit/receivership [ 1 Answers ]

If a person has a medical malpractice suit filed and court date cancelled due to receivership of Insurance Company. What does one do?

Personal Injury Law Suit - Defendant Anxiety [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I have been involved in a multi car accident in Texas, and one of the Person is trying to Make money out of it by suing me. Though he was not injured on the scene, he Claims to incur heavly medical & financial losses as Pain/Suffering/Mental Anguish/Future Costs etc. etc I have a...

Credit Card Law Suit [ 2 Answers ]

I was just served a notice I was being sued by a collection agency. I have 20 days till the next Monday or whatever. How soon can they garnish my bank account. Do they have to wait until the 20 days and I default. If I empty my bank account and leave 10 dollars what will happen? How long can they...

How to file a counter claim in an eviction law suit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file a counter claim against my landlord, when I am being sued for non-payment of rent, when he actually owes me money. I do not have an attorney and I can not afford one, so I will be representing myself in court.

View more questions Search