Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedynotary Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Hi,
    Hope I'm not too late in responding to this link, but last night I cooked lamb for the first time on my George Forman grill. I usually cook chicken, beef or vegetables on it and my dog, Robbie, a 2-3 year old poodle mix, sits next to me salivating and giving me cow eyes. Last night, however, he started cowering, barking and wouldn't enter the kitchen, but was in an aggitated state of mind with the smell from the lamb. We didn't reward this behavior, we didn't encourage it, and basically it was brought on by the dog itself. We were just cooking and ignoring him as usual while preparing dinner, when his outbreak occurred. It lasted for the entire time we cooked and even a little into the next morning ( I assume there was some residual smell left).

Let me know if this problem has reoccurred with your dog.
    HAPPYSPIRIT Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by googs9999
    My dog Max 11, a terrier mix runs around barking in a state of panic when he gets a whiff of lamb being barbequed. Its the same behaviour he exibits when thunder occurs. We got Max from the pound when he was about 8 months old, the pound figured he had been lost and on his own for at least 2 months. So he has a history that we know nothing about. We also have a Schnotty by the name of Austin 4 (Schnauzer Scotty mix) who has been taught by Max to fear the smell of lamb as well. He doesn't run around barking, he worse about it than Max, he runs crying, yelping hiding and shaking.
    Is there anything i can do to get them to understand that there is no danger with regards to the smell of lamb. We don't cook lamb anymore, its not worth the insanity but we have neighbours who do and i don't have any control over them. They even had a problem when I lit the barbeque two weeks after we had cooked lamb. I have searched the internet and found absolutely nothing about dogs fearing the smell of cooking lamb.

cheers,
    Brenda
    I too have a dog that is TERRIFIED of the smell from cooking lamb. Our Siberian Husky was adopted so we have no background information on her. She will try and escape the house or run upstairs to hide, refuse to come in the house, etc. but the funny thing is when all is said and done and the smell dissipates she will eat cooked lamb. My sister also had a dog - a German Shepherd raised from a pup that also was scared of cooking lamb.
    drothermel Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
    My dog too gets scared when I'm cooking lamb (not BBQ). I cooked some for the first time a few weeks ago and he immediately ran out of the kitchen with his tail between his leg. He starts sniffing and then runs out to the back yard. I have NEVER seen him act this way. And I've had him from a six week old puppy and like I stated I've never cooked lamb before. It's the strangest thing!

Only ANSWER the question on this page here. Do NOT ASK a question.

You are NOT logged in.

Only ANSWER the question on this page here. Do NOT ASK a question.

You are NOT logged in.
    maryroc2727 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 09:30 AM

I had a similar problem with my dog when cooking lamb. She trembled for 2 hours and acts afraid and now won't go into the kitchen.
    I didn't splatter grease on her, got her when she was 6 weeks old. It's very weird.
    JSquared1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2009, 06:26 PM
    I just Googled 'dog aversion lamb' too - and here I am.

I've only cooked lamb in my house twice before - both with the same result - our yellow lab shied away and was visually distressed. Tonight, we bbq'ed outside and he ran around the perimeter of the yard, refusing to come - even for a treat or his ball (unthinkable!). Once, I brought lamb chop bones home from a restaurant - he bowed away and wouldn't come near until the bones were gone (you see, our other dog - a black & tan coonhound - really doesn't mind lamb). On another instance, all I could get was lamb and rice dog food - the lab was not impressed and refused to eat until his appetite took over.

Anyway, the most severe reaction seems to come from cooking the lamb here - but all lamb-related instances have the lamb in common - one way or another. Weird!!

Quote Originally Posted by skydog View Post
    OK, I just googled dogs fearing the smell of cooked lamb and came up with this blog. The reason being, I came home last evening with our two mini wire hair dachsies Cosmo and Olivia and as soon as we got to the front door Cosmo would not enter the house, although Olivia would without reservation. When we finally coaxed Cosmo in he began tail tucking ears down and wimpering (very unusual behavior for him). Olivia was her normal self. Both are from the same litter and have never experienced anything traumatic. The only thing different in the house was that a leg of lamb was being cooked in the oven.
    MH2135 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Comment on labman's post
    My dog freaked out yesterday when I cooked lamb. I have had him his whole life of 2 and a half years. I am a scientist and I am convinced that there is a direct connection to the cooking lamb and the way my dog acted that is innate. There are no o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Terrified to pick up my hamster [ 22 Answers ]

I have a panda bear hamster who is 2 and 1/2 months old. Whenever I get ready to pick her up I get so nervous and shaky, and I know this make it worse because hamsters sense fear and don't like being handled by nervous owners. What can I do to make myself seem less nervous? She has bitten me twice...

Completely terrified [ 5 Answers ]

How can I tell my parents, whom I have no bond whatsoever with, that I have been depressed for 5 years and in need of help withouth becoming physically sick, shaky, utterly terrified, dizzy, lightheaded, and scared? :(

Dog terrified of thinderstorms [ 2 Answers ]

I have 6yr old black male German Shepherd, 110 lbs, that is terrified of thunderstorms (lightning and thunder). He was not like this as a puppy until after 6-8 mo old. It has gotten worse with each season and this has been the worst storms. He has been jumping up on the door and the knob for the...

Mu puppy is terrified of drum kits! :( [ 4 Answers ]

My brother plays the drums but he can't at the moment because our little puppy is terrified of them! :( We don't know what to do! Xxx

Crowned Rack of Lamb [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have a great recipe for a Crowned Rack of Lamb? Want to cook this for hubby on Father's Day. Thanks

View more questions Search