Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bess lucky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 12:46 AM
    Dog won't eat
    I have a 14year old dog not sure of breed.she will drink water but will not eat
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 03:19 AM
    Take her to the vet. Two years ago I came down one morning and my 12 year old Lab was just laying there. When I gave her her breakfast, she didn't touch it. I called the vet. This morning, when I came down, she was bouncing with a chew toy in her mouth and devoured her breakfast just like every morning. The smaller your dog, the more likely you still have some good years with her.

You might read the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 but I think this is a clear case of a sick dog needing to see a vet.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 14, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Well if she is drinking that is a good sign, as for lack of appetite she could just be not feeling well.. At that age they have up days and down days... I would really worry unless there was a good 36 hour period in which the dog refused to eat..
    sandeeskibug Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 05:35 AM
    If you dog is a finicky eater you could wait a day to decried what to do. If your dog is like most you need a vet trip ASAP. My dog had kidney failure at 14. The vet put her on a special food and she lived to be 18
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Bess, if your dog rarely has a problem with her appetite, due to her age, if it were me, I personally wouldn't wait on this. I would call the vet and get her in to the office for a health check. It is better to err on the side of caution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat [ 102 Answers ]

I have a German Sheperd that just won't eat!! We have tried dry food and meat but he just won't take it! If you have any ideas of how to fix this please let me know. Ill Try anything. Thanks heaps, dog_lover

My dog won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is a 13 year old norweign elkhound full breed and a delightful dod to have but within the past week he has totally stopped eating his food and we haven't changed his diet. His still his usual lovable playable self and the vet says his healthy help I'm so worried about him all his doing is...

Why won't my dog eat! :( [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dog that is 6 month old and he is really fussy with his food he will like it 1 min and not the next now he won't eat it unless we put in proper chicken but we don't want to keep feeding him human food as he will expect this all the time. It doesn't help the matter as my mum has changed his...

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

View more questions Search