Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patricia frank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Holding a mortgage
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of holding a mortgage for a home buyer? The buyer is my daughter and son-in-law. Can they mortgage half the price and I hold the mortgage for the other half? What are the advantages and disadvantages to me? What are the advantages and disadvantages to them?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Hello patricia:

The advantages to you are that you earn a high interest rate on your money that is secured by real estate. The downside is, you may have to foreclose.

The advantages to your children are they can get financed if they're not especially creditworthy or long in cash. The downside to them, is that their parents will have to foreclose on them if they don't pay. That's going to cause MORE problems than if a bank did it.

However, if they have enough equity (or cash) to finance HALF the cost of a house, they could get their OWN financing, and leave you out of it. If I were them, that's what I would do - for sure.

excon

PS> Ahhh, I see that you're talking about holding a 2nd mortgage. Nothing changes, though, in my advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2007, 08:26 AM
    The advantages to you depend on a) the interest rate they will pay b) your need for the cash c) your relationship with your daughter and her husband and d) the local economic climate.

There are really very few advantages to you. The greater advantages are to them. But if you don't need the cash from the sale, and you trust their ability to pay and you want to help them out towards home ownership, then it may work for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding a mortgage [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a two family in Jersey City and own it free and clear. I would like to if anyone know's the advantages or disadvantages of holding a mortgage. Thank You

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Holding on... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long one... so hold on here and bear with me please... I have only loved one person in my short life-span (20, f), I had a 3 month relationship with him after knowing him for 2.5 yrs, it was long-distance. We ended it on good terms, he just couldn't take not being...

View more questions Search