Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momof7 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Cuious about some of the jewish religion
    I am wondering how old a jewish person has to be to become a rabbi??

And how appropritae it is for someone who claims to be a rabbi to use foul launguage??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Hello mom:

We don't have rules like that. When a person has achieved a certain amount of study, he can be a rabbi.

How appropriate is it for a rabbi to swear?? Well, I'm a foulmouthed Jew, so it wouldn't bother me at all. That's not really a Jewish question, though. It's a question of personal tastes.

excon
    enjay22 Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Dec 13, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I have a rabbi that was... 24
    So, I'm thinking any age really.

And they're just like ordinary people. If they want to sware.. who's going to stop them. Lol
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Dec 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay22
    i have a rabbi that was... 24
    so, im thinking any age really.

and theyre just like ordinary people. if they wanna sware.. who's gonna stop them. lol

As far as youth, any Judaism that seriously takes law observantly and follows traditions, the process is usually more time consuming and challenging. In fact, even including the less observant Reform movement I don't recall any 24 year old rabbis. The Reconstructionist rabbis perhaps. As for swearing, well I had a run-in with an elder Reconstructionist rabbis about 6 or 7 years ago and we argued concerning liberal Judaism branches permitting homosexuality unions, which I'm against. We were almost at the point of a shouting match and although he didn't cuss me, I think he wanted to. Rabbis though, when trained properly, are far from ordinary people. Swearing is not routine for these highly trained well educated people, although they may give a slip of the tongue once in awhile.

Bobby
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
    The original question is tied to this thread:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/judais...ty-129251.html

I suggest checking it out before answering.

As I replied in that thread a rabbi is a teacher. So anyone who teaches can be referred to as a rabbi. However, if you are referring to a person who will be the spirtual leader of a congregation, a very young person is unlikley in that role. Since the spirtual leader is hired by the congregation, they would be unlikely to select someone without the training and education that generally takes many years. So such a Rabbi under 30 would be unlikely.

Dec 14, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Scott are you addressing your reply to me or enjay22? The way I understood the question it was in context of congregational leader. I don't think most of the non-Jews would even know to post a question as to any teacher, especially lacking smicha (ordination).

Bobby

Dec 14, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Scott are you addresing your reply to me or enjay22? The way I understood the question it was in context of congregational leader. I don't think most of the non-Jews would even know to post a question as to any teacher, especially lacking smicha (ordination).

Bobby
    Actually I was addressing the entire thread. If you look at the other thread, this question was prompted because a 16 year old boy the OP's daughter was interested in claimed to be a rabbi. While I'm sure the OP meant it in the context of congregational leader, its possible the boy may have been referring to being just a teacher. I doubt if a 16 yr old boy would think anyone would consider him as a congregational leader (which could easily be cleared up with the question of 'where is your congregation').

Dec 14, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Yes, I recall the other thread. I know for fact that she meant it as a congregational leader. I answered to "momof7" under the "Jewish views of homosexuality" post on Sept 13th. In addition the mother of concern and I had dialogue in private on the matter.

As for the word "rabbi," most non-Jews don't know it could represent other roles, including teacher, scholar, counselor, or mohel. However it was good that you mentioned it helping provide a well rounded definition into the discussion.

Bobby

Dec 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    As for the word "rabbi," most non-Jews don't know it could represent other roles, including teacher, scholar, counselor, or mohel. However it was good that you mentioned it helping provide a well rounded definition into the discussion.

Bobby
    That was my point. To the secular world, a Rabbi is a congregational leader, nothing else. I was just trying to point out that the boy might not have been lying, but rather using the term in its Hebrew meaning.

Dec 14, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Oy, a shkandal! The kid is a liar. You're giving a mischief maker way too much credit. You'll just have to trust a "momof7" on that. It doesn't take away from you mentioning the fuller definition of "rabbi" though. That's what we are here for, correct? To help any way we can in the context of Judaism.

Bobby
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Dec 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Clarification time before shabbos comes in.
    "Rabbi" is a title that has 2 contexts, and 5 levels (if I remember right).

1. Teacher -- it has been used in the past as a title of respect for anyone who serves as a teacher (like "Reb" but "Reb" also is simply honor and can be used like "sir" or even "mister"). It is rarely if ever used in that way now.

2 through 5 are levels of actual ordination. While originally, one had to complete some 40 or so years of study and internship to achieve the level where other rabbis laid their hands on him to pass along the mantle of leadership, now ordination can come after as few as 2-3 years of study post high school (or as many as 25). But those who are at the minimum have been studying towards this level since the age of 5 informally so the tests administered at the end are the culmination. A stand alone ordination program requires knowledge of specific areas of Jewish law and ritual and then testing (oral or written) by a board of established rabbis. You will not find anyone under the age of 23 or so who has gone through that level. I knew a guy in college who was called "rabbi" but the story was that he had been learning from a young age and knew the stuff a rabbi knows, not that he had received actual ordination. He would NEVER swear.

The ordination has many levels. The standard these days is the first level with a smaller number moving on to level two (I'm omitting names for clarity's sake). The third level is very rare these days and the fourth, basically nonexistent but I've heard it used to exist.

I'm at level one -- certain things I can and can't do, but I'm happy.

As for cursing, I try not to -- nivul peh (an unclean mouth) is something expected of all Jews. There aren't special heightened rules for rabbis. Some rabbis curse... others do other things. We are human. The point is, a rabbi who revels in it and does not recognize he is doing wrong has his priorities wrong.

And no 16 yr old who curses is a rabbi. If he thinks he is, let me talk to him and I'll explain why he's wrong.
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Orthodox jewish women [ 5 Answers ]

How are orthodow jewish women treated:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jewish Tradition: [ 2 Answers ]

Christian tradition views sin as an enslavement rather than something fun we are denied. Does the Jewish tradition view the Law as a gift from God as opposed to an option or curse? HANK :confused:

Am I Jewish? [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish....

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

View more questions Search