Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    astronomer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Death of a friend
    Several years ago my friend contracted a neurological disease and was unable to work. With no income he was evicted from his apartment for non payment of rent so my wife and I offered him a room in our home. He was finally granted disability but his medical expenses and prescription costs normally exceeded the monthly allotment sent to him by the Government. He managed to support himself by juggling money between approx. 15 credit cards. After more than 10 years of suffering he finally passed away on Sept. 11, 2007. The following day I went through his mail to find that he owed over $20,000 in credit card bills. Even though I supported him(I never claimed him on my taxes) and I am going to take care of his funeral expenses I certainly do not want the burden of his credit card dept. He has no close relatives.

Should I notify each credit card and medical office of his death? The death certificate will be issued to me.

Thank you,

Lou
    cjcharmer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 02:11 PM
    So sorry for your lose, it probably would be best to contact the credit card companies otherwise they will continue to send statements, but also you need to be c areful to let them know that as a friend of the deceased you are contacting them not as the responsble party for his debts, so be careful, these companies are very creedy
    brw15 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by astronomer
    Several years ago my friend contracted a neurological disease and was unable to work. With no income he was evicted from his apartment for non payment of rent so my wife and I offered him a room in our home. He was finally granted disability but his medical expenses and prescription costs normally exceeded the monthly allotment sent to him by the Government. He managed to support himself by juggling money between approx. 15 credit cards. After more than 10 years of suffering he finally passed away on Sept. 11, 2007. The following day I went thru his mail to find that he owed over $20,000 in credit card bills. Even though I supported him(I never claimed him on my taxes) and I am going to take care of his funeral expenses I certainly do not want the burden of his credit card dept. He has no close relatives.

Should I notify each credit card and medical office of his death? The death certificate will be issued to me.

Thank you,

Lou
    You are not liabel for his bills unless you are executor of his estate.
    I hope this helps may God be with you:>)
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 07:01 AM
    My deepest sympathies on your loss, but you can take a little comfort in knowing that by no means would you be responsible for his debts, particularly if you were just a friend who helped him out from time to time. If you're not family or the executor of his estate, you should have no need to worry about this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death [ 5 Answers ]

. Assume the body is buried in a casket and exhumed five years later for a medical test. If the biceps brachii muscle was examined microscopically, what might can we to find and why?

Friend makes fun of friend [ 15 Answers ]

My friend is always asking why we never hang out anymore.. He tells people that I ignore him. Well is this a good reason? Every time I'm around him or I talk to him he always brings up one of my flaws. He always makes fun of me about it and jokes about it. All my life I was teased about this yet he...

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

View more questions Search