Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sylbie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Hospital threatening collection agency on debt being paid
    I am a low income senior with many medical problems and medical bills, all of which are currently paid with the exception of one hospital bill incurred 4 months ago in the amount of $992. I am making monthly payments of $20, sometimes twice a month. In just 4 months the bill now totals $852. Yet the hospital has been constantly threatening and harassing me, telling me that they will turn my bill over to a collection agency if I do not pay the bill in full. It is a sacrifice for me to be paying them as much as I am. I spoke with Medicare about this and was told that the hospital cannot turn the debt over for collection since I am paying it and the hospital is cashing my checks. I was told this constitutes acceptance by the hospital on the amount I am paying. Yet I have read otherwise on forums and web sites about what a hospital can do. To add insult to injury, my stay at this hospital was the worst medical experience I have ever had. I was harassed, humiliated, the proceedures needed done were not done. I have ongoing medical problems so will be continuing to incur more medical bills and also will have to have the proceedures done elsewhere since the hospital did not do them. I realize the hospital bill is a legitimate one, however, and so am doing my very best paying this bill. I was hoping to possibly get others' thoughts, opinions, comments and perhaps even experiences in a matter such as this. The stress of it all with my ongoing medical problems has become very upsetting to me.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Send them a letter stating all contact you will will be done in writing only.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
    First, I'm very sorry to hear you have such a stress in your life. Medical bills can be a tremendous burden and something should be said that you are doing so much to pay what you can.

The Medicare representative is correct. They cannot send you to collections... because you are paying! Someone in the hospital is seriously misinformed. Do you have or can you get access to the canceled checks cashed by the hospital? Hang onto them if you can. Try to contact a billing representative of the hospital and arrange for a meeting to discuss what's going on. Ask someone to go with you for backup and take any paper work (bills, checks, letters, etc.) with you.
    If you can prove you are making payments and they continue to threaten you with collections, tell them you will be consulting a lawyer (that'll get their attention)

Hopefully a face-to-face meeting will just help clear up any misunderstandings or possible lack of information.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency - Over 2 years old debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My parents received a call from a Collection Agency regarding ME They took the info and I called them Apparently over 2 years ago I had an outstanding bill with Bell Canada I asked the Collection Agency to tell me what was on the Bill They stated they only had a dollar amount and no...

Collection agency collecting an old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy 3 yrs ago and paid on it until we had some hard times and it ended up getting dismissed. I was able to get a loan through a family member and paid off most of the debts that were owed. I called one of the collection companies to settle a debt and they told me they had no record...

Collection Agency on Credit Report. I paid Pride Co. [ 1 Answers ]

Months ago I owed my garbage company (Pride Disposal) $140. I was getting calls from a collection company about it. Because I wanted my garbage service ASAP I paid Pride $140.. Still the Collection Agency called. I called Pride and asked them to call the Agency and tell them this bill had been...

I over paid a collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I over paid a collection agency. They were receiving my payments by pre-paid checks, when debt was considered paid I realized I had over paid. It isn't a lot of money but they Wouldn't stand for it so neither am I. The agent in charge of my file & the office manger refuse to reply. What can I...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They...

View more questions Search