Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madam Goodwrench Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Installing wall hung sink cabinet to hold granite top
    Calling All Cabinet Installers/Bath Remodel Contractors!

Am helping my son remodel his teeny bath in a pre-WWII bldg. Have ordered a wall cab 18" deep X 24" wide X 24" high (KraftMaid). Have studied cab specs: 1/8" back panel conceals two 5/8" hanging rails (top/bottom) doweled/glued to 3/4" engineered wood end panels; 3/4" doweled ceiling panel; 3/4" doweled floor panel. Contractor will make cut out in ceiling panel to accommodated a bottom mount sink/granite top.

According to KraftMaid the cab should hold 75 lbs./sq. ft. Walls in the bldg. seem to be concrete/mesh or lathe/plaster. Existing wall hung sink is installed with steel plates. Would appreciate any tips on cab modification or on anchoring this cab to the wall so it will hold the weight of granite and sink.

Thanks so much from Madam Goodwrench
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
    If it is plaster you need to find the studs , and using a stud finder most likely want work so just where you want see it use a nail and drive in the wall till you find one then 16" till you find another, i try and use 3" screws for installation of all cabnits.

If this is a concrete wall then you'll need to use concrete anchors, you'll need the anchors and an hammer drill to do this, as far as size of anchors you'll can use 1/4 and that will be plenty, just 2 at the top will do. The screw length on these can be 1 1/2 or 2"

you can also use tap com screws and use no anchos. if you use these just get 3/16 screws and for a length use 2"

For attaching the granite use 100% silicone before you set the granite and let dry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall Hung Sink Repair/Replace [ 6 Answers ]

I am a Landlord. I have a turn over that the bathroom sink was, sat on, leaned on, stood on. So what I have is the sink tilted down and pulled away from the wall. The caulking is hanging in mid air. To repair this? 1. I try tightening the bolts providing I can find them and there are bolts. ...

Cultured Granite counter top water stain [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has placed a plant on our kitchen counter top, which is made of a dark grey colored cultured granite. The plant apparently remained in the same position for nearly a year. Today when it was removed there remains a white discoloration, almost a bleached out stain the exact size of the...

Changing from a wall hung toilet to a floor mounted one. [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1962 and has Case model 3000 wall hung toilets. I am remodeling one bathroom and have to change the plumbing over from wall hung to floor mount. The problem I have is that the current closet flange is mounted to a T with one side going to the sewer and the other going to the...

View more questions Search