Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ray commander Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Dog with noise in intestines
    This is an update to the question that I posted earlier. You can hear my dog's insides from 15 feet away. This happens 2 to 3 days a week. It has happened for the last 2 months. It sounds like a kitten in there. I did not say in my earlier message that he has already been to his Dr. He was put on Pepcid AC every day and 120 mgs. Of Cerenia once a day for 4 days. For 8 years, he has eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now, about 3 days a week, he does not eat until afternoon. This occurs only in conjunction with the noise inside. All 4 different Vets that he has had over the years, have not had any problem with human food that we have given him. Our dog eats wet and dry dog food. He weighs 84.5 pounds. His doctor said that he only needs to lose 2 pounds. He is an active dog and gets plenty of exercise. Swimming, ball playing, etc. His attitude is wonderful; even on the mornings that he does not eat. He clearly wants to eat, but then he refuses it. Does anyone have a similar experience with their dog? What was the solution?
    Thanks for all of your feedback.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:34 AM
    How often does he destroy squeeky toys?

I have seen many problems solved with a change of vets. Perhaps one that wouldn't approve messing up a dogs diet with human food.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Ray, how old is your dog? Most large breed dogs, after puppyhood, are only fed two times a day -- morning and evening. At your dog's age, I think there is a good chance that he is being overfed. Did your vet say anything about the 3 meals a day? It may be that due to his age, even though he is getting plenty of exercise, his metabolism is slowing down and you need to cut down on his portions both in the morning and evening. One cup of chow in the morning and one in the evening should be adequate. See if doing this and cutting out the third meal in the middle of the day helps with his appetite. Also, although you believe the wet/human food isn't a problem, I would guess that may be the reason for his indigestion problem. Call your vet and ask him/her point blank, if this was their dog, what would they feed it, how often and what portions. A follow up call to the vet doesn't cost anything.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 14, 2007, 06:04 AM
    My dogs I have 5 I only feed once a day in the evening and the do fine. But Ruby is more than likely correct in her response..
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:43 AM
    There is plenty of material on dogs that don't eat in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 I hadn't mentioned it because I saw the lack of appetite as a side issue to the noise.

Dogs don't digest vegetables very well. I guess the noise could be his digestive tract trying to cope all you are feeding him, but the noise you describe sounds far out of norm.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Sep 14, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I have seen many problems solved with a change of vets. Perhaps one that wouldn't approve messing up a dogs diet with human food.
    I don't think I would recommend changing vet without knowing a bit more about the human food. Are we talking tacos and cheeseburgers or chicken vegetable soup. Good food choices can be good for both dogs and humans.

But I agree with you that dogs don't need fast food.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Personally, I think he needs to go back to the basics due to the indigestion problems the dog is experiencing. Ray, if you don't want to call your vet, for now, keep him solely on the dry chow for a month and give him the amounts I have outlined. See what happens. Post back and let us know if he is still not eating and if the noise problems have continued. If everything is the same as before, then something else is going on with the dog and further medical tests need to be done. I don't like the idea of putting a dog on the kind of medication he is on, without making an attempt to rule out the things he is ingesting first.
    tgslickers Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
    What kind of dog do you have? Is it large chested? The reason I ask is that I just lost my Standard poodle due to his intestines. He never seem to ever have any problems with his stomach until he came in from playing outside, and he was older. He started mouning and his stomach was swallen, got him in my car to take to Vet and he passed away while taking him there. They said in large chested dogs (even small dogs) there intestines turn while playing. Now that you mention it, I heard his tummy grawling a little bit but thought it was because he was hungry, so fed him. Please keep an eye on him and you might ask your Vet about what I told you about the intestines turning. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

My Mom Won't Shut Up and My dad won't shut up, noise noise. Annoyed. [ 18 Answers ]

My mom nevers shut up. She repeats everything and reminds me about everything. Also, my dad eats with his mouth open cause he's old and I have to hear it because my computer is near the dining room, actually basically in probably. Also, my big brother laughs upstairs at his anime.. My twin brother...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

Noise in pipes and refrigerator noise with water chugging out of drink mechanism [ 4 Answers ]

Originally, we heard a noise from the refrigerator once in a while, changed the filter which lessened the noise. Now we hear a chugging in the pipes in our bedroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and in both bath rooms. It occurs occasionally. One night we shut off the hot water heater and it was...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search