Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chiquita_bandita Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

Sep 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
    What becomes of pulled teeth?
    Just curious, why are dentists so secretive about/unwilling to show you your own teeth that they pull? I ask because I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled by 3 different dentists at 4 different times and they all had excuses or reasons I couldn't even look at my own tooth. Reasons given: We already disposed of it (uh, where? I've been here the whole time)... It's a biohazard... We're not supposed to do that...

What's the deal? And also, what do they really do with the teeth, do they sell them to dental colleges or something?

Very curious. Thanks for reading.
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 12, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Healthy teeth come out with a fair amount of gum tissue clinging to them - kind of like looking at a chicken leg at an eatin' contest - ragged lookin' thing it will be and it'll have some blood and blood clots on it as well.
    Now even under anethesia, getting a tooth pulled is a wounding and can make folks a litlle shaky from either the trauma or the nervous tension associated with the process so pulling out a bloody clotted with chunks of you on it could be a little too much for you at the moment. So rather than have you fainting/puking/taking a vapor, just better to wrap it up and put it out of site. Much like you ladies do with your tampons and the like.

Now, that's for the purty healthy teeth. Some teeth will split when being pulled or break off one or more roots or be a nasty shade of black/green/purple depending on how badly the tooth and the surrounding gum tissue at the time of the extraction. And it won't smell so good - most of the time, at best, it will smell like you just stirred up the bottom of a still lake or pond and at worst, well, that's another good reason the dentist uses suction when he is working on your mouth...

So there you go. It's to pertect your more genteel feelings and appreciations of your dental well-being.

And thank Goodness for that!!

Please rate if helpful.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
    When I got 2 of my teeth pulled, my dentist showed me them willingly. They're big ole things, amazing how deep rooted they are.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:03 AM
    What's the deal? And also, what do they really do with the teeth, do they sell them to dental colleges or something?
    They just might.

I do agree with cpalmist's very fine answer above! I would just like to add the following.

I know that when a friend of mine had an abscessed tooth pulled, the dentist refused to show it to him.

I don't know, but I would suspect that they might be trying to avoid people freaking out when they see how large (and maybe gross looking) the entire tooth and root might be that they have just had extracted. They might be being taught to do this as a safety precaution in general. Maybe something happened some time ago to a patient who was shown a tooth or teeth that were extracted that caused some kind of problem for the patient that then lead to other problems.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:11 AM
    I saw my wisdom teeth when they pulled them back in January I was curious as they were sending them for examination they let me look at the pots they were sat in. Admittedly they had big blobs of stuff on the bottom witch turnt out to be dead abscess it was pretty yucky.
    Guess it just depends who what and how at the time of pulling.
    As a child I always kept all my teeth that were pulled how else was the tooth fairy going to give me my money.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:32 AM
    As a child I always kept all my teeth that were pulled how else was the tooth fairy going to give me my money.
    This is so true! I always loved the tooth fairy! I wonder if the belief in such a being is universal to all countries?
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Also, I got a nickel per tooth. I am wondering how much you got?
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Ha I was spoilt and not forgetting I'm english ;) I got an average of 50p to a pound depending on the size of the tooth and how much change my dad had in his pocket tee hee.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:37 AM
    Well, I can see that we've come a long way since I was young, baby! (I hope that you get the pun.) It is based on a cigarette ad for women in the U.S. about twenty or so years ago.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Hehehehehehe its OK I understand you're an old man ;) but then saying that I'm not exactly a spring chicken any more either but I'm sure being a gentleman you wouldn't ask my age.
    I can't wait for the tooth fairy to come to our house again for Millie it will be fun.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Well, I'm not exactly an old man. Not just yet. But, I guess you might call me middle aged now. I still feel very young, though!
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Well, I'm not exactly an old man. Not just yet. But, I guess you might call me middle aged now. I still feel very young, though!
    Hehehehehe you sound like ben I have to remind him he is a lot closer to 40 than I am and says yes but I still feel 21 heaven help me when he is 50.
    chiquita_bandita Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

Sep 13, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Since teeth are the only thing I've had removed from me by a Dr, I hadn't really thought... do surgeons refuse to show "stuff" they remove as well? Also, nice to see I'm not the only person who wants to see their pulled teeth, thought maybe I was weird!
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chiquita_bandita
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Since teeth are the only thing I've had removed from me by a Dr, I hadn't really thought.....do surgeons refuse to show "stuff" they remove as well? Also, nice to see I'm not the only person who wants to see their pulled teeth, thought maybe I was weird!!
    You aren't weird heck we all get curious :D Im not sure id want to see anything a surgeon removed though that's would be all goey and red hehehehehe
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Hey.I some bicuspids surgically removed in a hospital was I was about 10. I asked the doc for them and he said soak them in bleach to preserve them. I go them in a little envelope with the nerves still attached. At that age, I drilled a small hole into one of them and put it on a chain around my neck. I probably still have them.

Many times there is nothing left of the tooth. It doesn't come out whole, but the bicuspids were cool. They had like 13mm roots.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
    I don't know of a dentist who won't show a patient a tooth that was removed. True, it's sometimes not a pretty site. It's usually to reassure a patient that the whole tooth came out and a root tip or tips weren't left behind.

Extracted teeth are disposed of in the biohazard container, they are NOT sold to dental schools! The schools can get enough of their own.

I kept my wisdom teeth in a small gold gift box for over 25 yrs. I had to get rid of them when my husband got grossed out once he found them. I've seen some that have been dipped in gold and made into ear rings or pendants.
    pekrwud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
    Why don't ANY dentists answer this question? I was able to keep my wisdom teeth. I didn't freak out and was able to see why cartoons show a tooth with roots after being pulled. So what do dentists do with the teeth they pull? No one here has answered that.
    And for the clueless people talking about "tooth fairies." You're referring to "baby teeth." Teeth that come out with no roots. Genetically evolved to fall out after adolescent usage, to allow adult teeth to take their place.
    A Random Phrase Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
    I had 7 teeth pulled this morning and I took all of them home. Did they look gross and yucky? Absolutely. The dentist's assistant said that they usually ask the patients/clients if they want to take their teeth home with them. Most say, "yes," but a few are too grossed out and say, "no."
    BareTeeth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2013, 07:55 PM
    I'm a dentist. Sometimes the assistants start to clean up as procedures are going on, so it is possible that the teeth are already whisked away to sterilization with other instruments quickly.

I don't mind showing people their teeth, but I work in a hospital that regulates things, so we aren't allowed to give them to the patients - they go into biohazard trash. Sometimes we'll sterilize them and try out new instruments on them (I'm a year out of school and want to try out different root canal systems, so we use extracted teeth for that).

We even have to tell little kids that we know the tooth fairy and will tell her about the lost tooth since we can't give it to them for under their pillow!

I think there are companies that get teeth to sell to students taking licensure examinations, but I have never heard of any dentist supplying them, so I really don't know how they work.

Hope this helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My relationship pulled out from under me [ 17 Answers ]

I'm 25 and she is 23 (I was 23 and she was 21 when we met). About a month ago, my girlfriend left me. It happened almost overnight. We were together for two years, and had lived together for about a little over a year and we got along well, but needed to sort out our financial situation, so I...

Pulled muscle or pinched nerve? [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up a week ago, and the cord that runs on the right side of my neck really ached, went down along my collar bone, and into the joint of my right shoulder. Now, it's in the front and back part of my neck on the right side and around my lung area as well. Would this be considered a pinched...

Child pulled out of his or her native county [ 3 Answers ]

Can a child 4 and half be taken away to another county from their parent who only has partial custody?

Pulled Fuse on '97 Prelude Now Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My radio and power to the cigarette lighter died while I was driving. I pulled over and started checking the fuses unfortunately with the vehicle running. When I pulled the fuse under the dash marked ACC the car quit running. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just figured that after I...

Chain pulled out! Nowhere to turn! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I own a Hampton Bay ceiling fan and it has two chains, one for fan speeds and one for the light. I have a switch on the wall that enables me to turn both on or off and the chains allow me to switch them individually. I just left the room after a conversation and pulled the light chain and...

View more questions Search