Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleys_k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Giving up rights.
    Ok.. this is the deal.. my boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for 5 years in October.. when we were 2 years into our relationship the only other girl he has ever been with got pregnant.. (we were not together at the time).. well at first both were like we don't want this kid.. she took the day after pill.. and still was pregnant.. my boyfriend and her talked then about getting an abortion.. well she decided not to.. they broke up we got back together.. and come to find out the whole time she was sleeping with him she was sleeping with our entire town.. she accused so many different guys of being the father of her child.. when she "got pregnant" with my boyfriend it was at the end of feb. her baby was born sept 5. it was not early either... you don't have a baby at 7 months! :mad: she was already pregnant and when they took the pill it messed her baby up! Its crossed eyed and wears glasses.. my boyfriend is not crossed eyed he does not wear glasses nobody in his family is that way! (sorry I'm venting) OK if it is my bf's kid he wants to sign over his rights I know its not right but that's just what he wants to do he wants nothing to do with her nor the kid.. they have not got a test done yet but they are going to soon because now after 2 years she is wanting to take him to court for child support.. now my question to you is.. can he give them up? Even if she says no can he?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Sure!

Then he can pay child support for 16 more years (plus the back stuff) and not have ANY say in how the child is raised!

For dead-beat, don't-want-to-take-responsibility people, this is GREAT! It means that they can't screw the kid up for the money they're spending!

Seriously--get a paternity test first. THEN worry about the rest. You can't get rid of parental responsibilities unless someone else is willing to adopt, so don't hang your hopes on signing away rights.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it offensive that the hardest thing I have ever had to do - sign away my parental rights - is seen as an easy "out" for stupid guys who can't keep their woohoo in their pants.
    ashleys_k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 03:13 AM
    OK first we did get a test done and it is his but why should he have to pay back child support for a kid that he didn't know if it was his I mean a different guy is on the kids birth certificate! And they didn't want the kid the only reason why she kept it is because she wants my boyfriend in her life! How is that fair!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Hello a:

You think this is about your boyfriend, or about her, but it isn't. It's about the child. How is it fair that the child doesn't get breakfast one morning??

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:47 AM
    He pays the child support - all previous and current and future. Period. He played and now he pays. Another period. Do you know how many guys will say what he said? I cannot count that high. You talk as if this child is a nobody. A thing. This child is an innocent - a pure innocent.

Can your boyfriend terminate his parental rights? Yes, he can. Does it absolve him of financial responsibility - as in paying child support? No, it does not. Get over it, accept the reality and try to be a decent person about this. It is not the child's fault all this happened. Your boyfriend has 50% of the fault here. That is what you are really mad about, isn't it? He could not keep the zipper up on his jeans.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
    As everyone said, luckily he doesn't have to be a part of the child's life... and that's probably a good thing if he shares the same views of this child as you...

Quote Originally Posted by ashleys_k
    she was already pregnant and when they took the pill it messed her baby up! its crossed eyed and wears glasses.. my bf is not crossed eyed he does not wear glasses nobody in his family is that way!
    But bottomline... this little one didn't get to choose their parents... but your boyfriend was able to choose to keep his pants on.
    He will pay any and all child support that the child is entitled to.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
    First, terminating parental rights is not something that can easily be done. A family court has to approve it. And they are not likely to approve it unless there is a parent waiting to adopt or the parent presents a danger to the child. Even, in the unlikely event that they do terminate, that doesn't mean they are no longer financially responsible.

Your boyfriend took his chances having intercourse. Now he has to pay the price. As excon said, this is not about your boyfriend or the mother. This is about the care of the child. I've said it before; no one should engage in sexual intercourse unless they are emotionally and financially ready to have a child. Next time, maybe he'll learn to keep it in his pants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have been paying child support for 3 years for my son. The judge ordered that I had visitation rights every other weekend. She won't let me see him every other weekend and she will only let me see him when she is willing been to court a lot of times and still nothing. So I have came up with...

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of my child has been very unfair with me, my question is if I relinquish my rights from my son, do I still pay support?

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a 7 yr old child with a woman he was not married to. She was pregnant by my son when she got married to another man. Testing proved the child belonged to my son. But, the mother insisted on giving the child the surname of her husband. She has never allowed visititation to my son. In...

Giving up his rights? [ 12 Answers ]

If my ex husband wants to give up his rights to my daughter does someone have to be there to take over his rights or not?? He has not been in her life at all and she is only 18 months old. He wants to give up his rights but not to my soon to be husband unless he has to, so I am trying to find out...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my girlfriend has a little girl by another man. But he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my girlfriend are getting married in April I want to adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the...

View more questions Search