Sep 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysmith505
    I Would Like To Know If You Can Install A Gfci Recep. On A Shared Neutral
    Circuit.
    when i did this the gfci kept tripping.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 09:01 PM
    If you install a gfi receptical after the reg . REcpt!s on same circuit, and lights and you trip the gfi , the gfi olny should go off if its wired right ,check your wireing , and also check what you are pluging into the gfi. there may be a short in the item
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:07 AM
    As you have proved GFI receptacles will not work on the load end of a shared neutral. A 2 pole 120/240 volt GFI circuit breaker will work, but they cost about $130.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Breaker vs Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding some 20A circuits in my garage/shop and know that they have to be GFCI protected. My question is this: Is there an advantage to using a GFCI breaker over just putting a GFCI receptacle in the first slot of the series? Thanks.

GFCI Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Do they make a slimline GFCI Receptacle? I have some very narrow metal eletrical boxes in my kitchen and the regular size GFI will not fit.

Receptacle testers [ 4 Answers ]

When using a standard receptacle tester on a GFI circuit, I get a Hot/Ground Reverse reading. When I test the same GFI circuit with a GFI Receptacle Tester, I get an Open Neutral reading. The problem was a loose neutral wire . Are these normal readings to expect from the two testers? ...

Installing a gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a gfci receptacle in my offfice( replacing the existing regular receptacle) I have two black wires that were wrapped together , two gray wrapped together, one single blue and one green. I followed the directions and think I got all the wires to the right place. The test light...

Receptacle wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a receptacle to a box I have in my pantry that has an existing light switch. I have a three wire load coming in to the box from the circuit breaker. The red is wired to the switch and the blacks and whites are connected with wire nuts. The three wires feed other boxes in my kitchen....

View more questions Search