Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Sep 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
    My dog! Ah is a pain when it comes to reliving himself!
    Yes I know there are a few topics on this. But you seen my dog is somewhat different.
    He is a 2 year old Terrier Mix. And we got him when he was 1 year old. Well, He pee's everywhere in the house. And its making me angery. Could you help me labman?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Start with the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809
    Be sure and read the last paragraph on the differences with an older dog. Post back with details you need help on. It is much tougher retraining an older dog that has established bad habits. RubyPitbull may have some good ideas on this too.

Sep 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
    So basically, After he eats something I put him outside?
    He sleeps in my room at night so I just put him out when I get up which is 6am. But What should I do when he does pee? Does rubbing his nose in it and then putting him out side really work?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Fallen No! Rubbing his nose in pee or poo is only going to make him afraid of you or possibly mean! If he is not neutered he maybe marking. Please have if neutered if he isn't already. The people across the street have a dog unneutered and he pees on everything. As you know he is a terrier and they are very active and head strong, You may want to read labmans advice about being alpha.

Sep 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Fallen No! rubbing his nose in pee or poo is only going to make him afraid of you or possibly mean! If he is not neutered he maybe marking. Please have if neutered if he isn't already. The people across the street have a dog unneutered and he pees on everything. As you know he is a terrier and they are very active and head strong, You may want to read labmans advice about being alpha.

Yeah we got him neutered. I don't think he is alpha. My fat cat is >_<
    But yeah ill read that.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:26 PM
    My fat cat is >_< Cute :)
    How long ago did you get him neutered?

Sep 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Mmm.. I think it will be a year at the end of October.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
    If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. When you can't watch it, crate it.

As I said in my first post, the last paragraph of the sticky explains older dogs go longer after eating and drinking. When you do take it out, you may need to walk it around quite a bit.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 13, 2007, 08:45 AM
    You should also not have it in your bedroom at night, you should leave it crated until it gets this problem under control... Labmans advice was spot on..
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Thanks for your vote of confidence labman but I don't have any more to add than what you have in your sticky & the additional advice you just gave. Fallen, as bushg states, rubbing your dogs nose in it is a huge no-no. That is a very old and outdated method. It will create an unbalanced dog. Always praise the good behavior (peeing outside), gently correct him when you catch him in the act and bring him outside to finish doing his business. Do not make a fuss if you find urine deposits around the house but didn't actually see him do it. Just clean up the mess. If you find you are still having trouble after trying labman's advice, please post back.

Sep 13, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Ruby:: Yeah. I tried the nose thing once. Because that's what my parents said to do. Your right it is old fashion if my parnets did that >_< I think that I got it now. And I will try everyone's advice. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

Dog in pain [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any ointments or pills you can give a dog for a sprained or sore muscle or tendon?

My Dog seems to have leg pain [ 7 Answers ]

I have a nine year old boxer and every now and then he holds his leg up like it's giving him a lot of discomfort. The vet gave him a few pills once that cost over$100.00 but didn't help the problem a bit. I hear it's common in big dogs but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how to take care of...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search