Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 04:06 PM
    math, graphing functions/domain and rectangle inscribed in a triangle q
    domain question> http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...EvErSe_/16.jpg
    triangle question> http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b..._/untitled.jpg
    NOTE : PLEASE IGNORE THE NUMBER 1 MARKED ON TOP OF THE RECTANGLE IN THE TRIANGLE QUESTION (I DREW THAT).
    I have the domain one but I'm not sure if I did it right, I got domain is (negative infinity, positive infinity) and my graph is going up with a top and then curves down like an upside down u and then for the secod question part a I got P(x,1/2) and part b I can't figure out the lengths of the rectangle ? If anyone could help it would be much appreciated thank you in advance. I'm just really worried ><
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 05:00 PM
    It looks like you got the domain question correct. As for the rectangle question, consider the length of the altitude formed by the y-axis. That'll give you the y-intercept of the line AB, which, like the problem suggests, you should find the equation of. That'll give you the y-coordinate of the point in question and also an expression for the width of the triangle. You know the length already, so you can express the area of the rectangle as (length)(width).
    rmn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    It looks like you got the domain question correct. As for the rectangle question, consider the length of the altitude formed by the y-axis. That'll give you the y-intercept of the line AB, which, like the problem suggests, you should find the equation of. That'll give you the y-coordinate of the point in question and also an expression for the width of the triangle. You know the length already, so you can express the area of the rectangle as (length)(width).
    I'm not sure.. I got 1 for the altitude and then y=-x+1 for the equation.. is that right? How do I get the y coordinate? And this might be a dumb question but where is the width of a triangle? And how do I find the length of the rectangle/?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Since your equation is y = -x+1, that is the y-coordinate. The width of the rectangle is 2x. Now you're all set.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is rectangle a trapezoid? [ 5 Answers ]

Am actually a math teacher here in the Philippines. One my supervisors observed me in one of my classes. During that time, I'd ask my students to decide whether the given statement is true or false. One of the statements is like this " Rectangle is a trapezoid " . Most of students answered me...

Amplitude and Period of sine and cosine functions.graphing.anyone? [ 1 Answers ]

I have no clue how to do this. I am new on this site also. I have 11 assignments to do dealing with this kind of stuff... can anyone help?:confused:

Math functions [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know how to add subtract or multiply functions?

Graphing amplitude and period of sine and cosine functions! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I graph amplitude and period of sine and cosine functions? I know how to find the amp. And per. but I cannot figure out how to put it on a graph!

View more questions Search