Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Venus1522 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
    falling objects?
    Here is the ?s hope u can help me guys...

A juggler throws a ball up into the air. The ball remains in the air for a time(t) before it runs back into the jugglers hand.

1. With what speed did the juggler throw the ball into the air? (Hint: What is the total displacement of the ball during the time it is in the air)

2. Assume the ball was in the air for 2.4 sec.
    With what speed did the juggler throw the ball into the air?

If I'm going ti choose with this formulas: vf=vi+a(t)
    or
    vf2=vi2+2ad
    or
    d=vi(t)+1/2a(t)
    which formula should I use and how am I going to manipulate the to
    find the answer in the 2 ?s

vf=final velocity
    vi=initial velocity
    d=displacement
    t=time
    a=acceleration
    vf2= final velocity squared
    vi2=initial velocity squared
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
    You can use vf=vi+a(t), I'm not sure why the hint is there, you don't really need to use it as far as I can see. Show me how far you get. I have to sleep now but I will reply in the morning (about 7.5 hours from now).
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:04 PM
    The thing is with these questions, there are many ways to get the answer. You just have to find one of them. You can use any or all of the equations you listed up there.

I suggest you use the way that your teacher taught you. But for me the easiest way would be to use vf=vi+a(t), as it doesn't use d which you don't really need. (although your teacher put a hint to figure out d in the question, so maybe the way you are taught does use an equation with d).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Falling objects [ 1 Answers ]

A juggler throws a ball straight up into the air. The ball remains in the air for a time before it lands back in the jugglers hand. With what speed did the juggler throw the ball into the air?

Free falling objects [ 1 Answers ]

I need all information on free falling objects:D

Freely falling objects [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a lot of trouble finding out a formula for this problem: a baseball falling takes 4.0s to go the last 20meters before it smashes into the ground. What is the total height from which the baseball has fallen? I thought it would be something similar to y = Vot + 1/2 a*t^2 which...

Free Falling Objects [ 1 Answers ]

The question states: Someone throws a ball straight down to to the floor. If the ball bounces straight up and returns to the floor 2.5s after first striking it, what was the ball's greatest height above the floor? I have no idea how to go about answering this question. If anyone can help, that...

View more questions Search