Ask
    Miss lovley Posts: 125, Reputation: 5

Sep 12, 2007, 02:11 PM
    How old is too old?
    Well I'm 17 and I was wondering what should my age cut off limit be
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Cut-off for what? Babysitting? Parachute jumping? Getting a master's degree?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
    You are a teen until you turn 20 if that's your question.

Sep 12, 2007, 02:26 PM
    My question is

How old should the oldest guy be for me to date

I'm not sure if that makes any sense
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Do you have someone in mind, or are you hanging out with an older crowd? Once you're 18, there's no age limit. Study hard, get your high school diploma, and think about a career. You will be 18 before you know it.

Sep 12, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Yea I know that
    But older guys understand me more

Sep 12, 2007, 02:33 PM
    At 17, its pretty much open. You are on the cusp of adulthood. The bigger issue is how old are the guys that want to date you? I would probably stick to 20 something's as being those with more in common with you.

Sep 12, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Lotz_of_Questions Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

Sep 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I say at the most 3years older, until you turn 18, you can date who ever you want.

Good Luck :)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Alive and upright, after you reach the age of majority. Anyone could have plenty to offer.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss lovley
    28? You say older guys understand you better? He understands what it takes to get in your pants.
    He is too old and he knows it. In fact, right now he could go to jail. Get your education and date someone closer to your own age.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Two to three years older seems to work best from general observation, that's what I set myself at your age. Now I'm a bit older I'd go 5 or 6 tops and when I'm older still I'd probably consider larger age gaps.

You don't really want to date a person who is doing stuff you can't really identify with like graduating from uni, getting a mortgage, getting divorced, planning their retirement...

I think it generally it is best to stick to people at the same stage of life as yourself, less conflict of interests, less problems in general. At your age you don't really want a relationship that is an uphill battle. I mean problems with someone just a bit older are them moving, parents disagreeing, not being able to go places they can etc. Better off avoided if you can.

In conclusion to my ramblings I definitely think two to three years are best.

Best of luck to you

Sep 13, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50
    28? You say older guys understand you better? He understands what it takes to get in your pants.
    He is too old and he knows it. In fact, right now he could go to jail. Get your education and date someone closer to your own age.
    Yes older guys do understand me better and are not just interested in sex. I do not beileve he could go to jail because we are not having sex and or dateing.
    Guys my age are SHALLOW and IMMATURE
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 03:05 AM
    guys my age are SHALLOW and IMMATURE
    Not all of them, you find the nice ones at this age you've got a good 'un for life. I've met many 17 year old boys I have got on with at an intellectual level and have been funny and sophisticated. (I have a younger brother and made friends with his friends) Yeah sometimes they'd tell an immature joke but who doesn't? You’re a bit po faced if you can't appreciate a rubbish joke/ jumping around like an idiot/ dressing like an explosion in the joke shop.

They are not all shallow either, insecure and hiding it maybe, but not shallow. You sound like a four year old going, 'urgh I hate boys they're icky!'

Anyway you could go out with someone a tad older who would be settling down an bit and seem more sophisticated without them being 28. Although I'd have to say young men aren't that much different to lads really, I'd say the level of stupidness tends to increase as they learn how to get away with it (sorry guys)

At 28 the main thing he's going to have over an 18 year old is smooth talking experience, and being able to dazzle you with a flat, car and money. If he doesn't have the last three things it's even worse because then I know exactly why he couldn't get a girl his age!

I know a lot of friends who dated 30 ish men when they were your age. It didn't end well, and now they are under no illusion that they were used good and proper. Perhaps it's time to learn by other's mistakes so other's don't learn from yours.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 06:28 AM
    yes older guys do understand me better and are not just interested in sex. i do not beileve he could go to jail because we are not having sex and or dateing.
    guys my age are SHALLOW and IMMATURE
    Pardon me but that sounds like a statemnet a SHALLOW and IMMATURE girl would make trying to justify wanting to date a 28 year old man.
    You need to be questiong the motives of a 28 year old who goes after a 17 year old. Girl that man is too old for you. You are a minor and he messing with you, you could not even go to a bar with him.
    10 years is a huge difference, especially when you're 17 years old. My opinion, you need to leave adult men alone until you are one yourself.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:46 AM
    I'm 28 and I look at a 17 year old as a CHILD. My cousin is 17 and I could never find myself being interested in any of her friends. That I disgusting. I have to seriously question what this 28 year old is thinking. While you may believe that he understands you more its really that he understands how to play you better then a 17 year old. Do not get confused the only interest a 28 year old could have in a 17 year old is sex PERIOD. End of story that's it. You are completely mentally, emotionally, life-wise incompatible.

Now if you were 27 and he was 38 that's different. But right now you have NO life experience regardless of what you may believe about yourself. A healthy adult relationship is built on both people bringing an equal amount of stuff to the table. Right now you don't have much.

Have you met everyone in this guys life? Friends, co-workers, family? What do your parents think?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 14, 2007, 07:18 AM
    If you're 17, don't date anyone older that 19 TOPS. I'm 28 and even the thought of dating someone your age freaks me out. My brother is 27 and he would never date someone under age 21, let alone someone in High School.

Try and look at it this way. If YOU see guys your age as immature... why doesn't this 28 year old see people your age as immature? If you think 17 yr olds are immature now, how do you think you'll feel when YOU'RE 28?
    Believe me when I say, if a 28 yr old man is showing interest in someone your age, HE'S immature.

Sep 14, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50
    Pardon me but that sounds like a statemnet a SHALLOW and IMMATURE girl would make trying to justify wanting to date a 28 year old man.
    You need to be questiong the motives of a 28 year old who goes after a 17 year old. Girl that man is too old for you. You are a minor and he messing with you, you could not even go to a bar with him.
    10 years is a huge difference, especially when you're 17 years old. My opinion, you need to leave adult men alone until you are one yourself.
    Atcually I am going after him not the other way around

Sep 14, 2007, 07:41 AM
    If he's smart, he'll run in the opposite direction.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 07:48 AM
    atcually i am going after him not the other way around
    STOP.

If this man has any sense he will stay far, far away.

If there is no one your age to date then look no higher then 18. If you can't find anyone else then wait until you go to college where there will lots of new people and plenty of mature guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search