Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 07:08 AM
    "Safely Remove Hardware"?
    After installing a Windows (Vista HP) update (it also updated my monitor drivers and something to do with the video card), I now have a system tray icon that says "Safely Remove Hardware." It gives the option to "unplug or eject" either the DVD drive or, I believe, the monitor. I don't want to lose either. There is no option to (right or left click) to get rid of the icon. Anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? Thanks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Usually it comes up when you have plugged something in via USB.

Sep 12, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I believe I have my monitor connected with a USB but that was the case long before that icon ever showed up. Any idea how to get rid of it? Restart and shut down doesn't help.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 12:08 PM
    No, a monitor would be connected to the graphics card using a special cable and would not cause that icon to show up. The icon is harmless but I'm like you, I want to know what's causing it to show up. Double-click on the icon in the system tray and tell me what it says in the box that pops up.

Sep 13, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Double-click on the icon in the system tray and tell me what it says in the box that pops up.
    Safely Remove Hardware

Select the device you want to unplug or eject, and then click Stop. When Windows notifies you that it is safe to do so unplug the device from your computer.

Hardware Devices:

SAMSUNG HD 160JJ/P SCSI Disk Device
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A SCSI CDRom Device - (E:)

SAMSUNG HD 160JJ/P SCSI Disk Device at Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0

Properties Stop

Display Device Components

Close
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Looks like Vista (and XP) treats SCSI and some SATA drives (depending on their drivers) as removable devices. If it makes you feel any better you are not the only one with this issue. Check out Riser's post here: safely remove hardware, ummm no thanks.

Sep 14, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Thanks, now I at least hid it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"New Hardware Found" Virus? [ 5 Answers ]

My computer keeps saying “New Hardware Found CD/DVD Drive” once it starts up and then the entire system freezes. I tried starting it in Safe Mode, but that didn't work. I even tried system restore, but I either couldn't get to it fast enough before it froze or when I did and clicked on it nothing...

Windows baloney! "Safely Remove Hardware" [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a Seagate external hard drive that removes just fine from my laptop, but here at my office I get the message "The devie 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." When I click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon. I've googled it to death...

View more questions Search