Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srajanaca Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2005, 02:52 AM
    Internet explorer 6
    I got the system with win98SE platform. It got a IE 5in it. Now, I want to upgrade it to IE 6. But, whenever I down load the installation file from the Microsoft site which is for 436 kb & when I run it, it tells, previous installation is not completed & restart the machine to install IE6. So, I restarted it, nothing has happened. Again when I run that small file it tells same story. I done this more than 5 times like this. Now, I want to download the full package for IE 6 for Win 98 SE machine. Please tell me where I can get it or tell me how to sort out the above problem.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2005, 05:58 AM
    Ie 6
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE, with Internet Explorer 6, SP1 (that's Service Pack 1).
    I would try the following in order:
    Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System tools/System Information.
    In that window, at the top, click on Tools, then Internet Explorer Repair Tool.
    Click on the Repair Internet Explorer option.
    That will repair your IE 5.
    Re-Boot.
    Then, run the Maintenance Steps below:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

After you have done all the above, go back to the http://www.microsoft.com website. On the left, click on the link, "Microsoft Update", then click on the link "Scan for updates".
    Find the Internet Explorer 6 with SP1, and try the downloading again.
    If this doesn't solve your issue, please post back.
    I have never had your particular issue, but it's related to either your current version, IE 5, is somewhat corrupted, or your Registry needs repair using the scanreg /fix; and, if you haven't defragged within the past couple of months, you really need to.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 19, 2005, 06:26 AM
    I knew you'd come to the rescue fredq! Thanks, it helped me refresh my memory again on one of my PCs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet Explorer [ 7 Answers ]

When I Click on IE it comes up but then goes blank what can I do I can't access it at all... Okay I click on internet explorer and it comes up then the whole pages just vanishes... I have broadband and I can get in internet through AOL... Not sure what the problem is

Internet explorer don't run [ 4 Answers ]

My internet explorer don't works just stucks, the green bar don't apear. First thought it was the internet connection but with Firefox works well. Have taken Firefox and unistaled internet explorer and it worked, for one day :confused: now is the same problem. Any ideas of how to help me??

Internet Explorer [ 4 Answers ]

When ever I try to open a site such as Yahoo,Google I get a popup window that ask me what to use to open it with,When In click on IE and OK it will open. How do I get it to open all the time without doing this extra. Its something new? :confused:

Pop-ups in Internet Explorer [ 6 Answers ]

I'm using Spybot to remove adware and spyware, but I'm still getting a few popups with Internet Explorer (specifically noticed when I try and access Yahoo or Google) which I don't using Netscape. What more can I do to end all the popups in Internet explorer?

Internet Explorer 6. [ 6 Answers ]

I am using Windows XP and have developed a problem with my IE. When I first log on to internet my home page sometimes locks up or it will turn off IE and send me back to desktop. This does not happen all the time. Some time I can change web pages then without warning my IE will turn off and I am...

View more questions Search