Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIY Al Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Two Single Pole GFI's = one Double Pole 220v GFI?
    Hello there,

Installing a pool motor, 220v hayward northstar two speed. Could not find a double pole 40 amp GFI, electric supply store recommended two single pole 20A GFI's sharing a neutral? Does this make sense. I have a 40amp double pole in the main feeding the sub via the sub panel lugs, looking for a min of 20a at the motor (draws 14a). I greatly appreicate your help. AL
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Where do people come up with this stuff?

Ask them to connect it that way in their home for their pool with their kids in the pool.

Why are you looking for a 2 pole 40 amp breaker when the motor draws 14 amps at 240 volts, which will need a 20 amp breaker?

What brand panelboard do you have?

Sep 11, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Thanks, I knew it didn't seem correct, my panel is a siemens

Sep 11, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Where do people come up with this stuff?

Ask them to connect it that way in their home for their pool with their kids in the pool.

Why are you looking for a 2 pole 40 amp breaker when the motor draws 14 amps at 240 volts, which will need a 20 amp breaker? I have a single pole 20a, I guess I would need a double though to connect via the lugs on the sub, right?

What brand panelboard do you have?
    Siemens
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
    I attached a page of Siemens catalog for their GFI breakers.

Sep 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    I attached a page of Siemens catalog for their GFI breakers.
    Thanks, OUCH! Okay perhaps I should explain the WHOLE system to make sure I do it right. Again a 40a two pole out of the main, via 8ga 3 conducter with a 10ga ground TM cable, length of run 15ft. Siemens outdoor sub panel, off the sub I will have one circuit (circuit 1)powering a on/off timer (intermatic T104), then a two speed timer (intermatic T106) a 2 amp 220 clorinator and the hayward pump 220 14amp (peak) which has 3 12ga wires coming out of the motor (red, black, white)

Circuit #2- 15A GFI to a outdoor receptical box with a switch and duplex GFi receptical powering a 600watt 12v outdoor transformer for my 300watt 12v pool light

So for Circuit 1 I should go with a 20A 2 pole GFI, although I can't find in the code where it needs to be a GFI for a pool pump that is hard wired (thoughts?)

Circuit #2 a 15a GFI (can it be a regular breaker since the receptical is GFI?) Thank you for your help, DIY AL
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:02 PM
    OK, the 40 amp does not need to be a GFi, since the light and outlet already has GFI protection.

Correct, a 240 volt pool pump motor does not need GFI protection. I was not going to mention that unless you mentioned it, always good to exceed code, but not necessary.

Wow, someone else actually reads the code? Outstanding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

20amp QUAD double pole versus 2 20AMP tandem single pole [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 zones of baseboard heat, 3 of which were disabled due to the addition of a heat pump. The circuit panel is full and would like to restore the operation of the 3 zones of base boardheat. I was planning on removing 3 double pole 20amp 240 volt circuits and installing 3 QUAD 20 amp double...

Double pole or single pole thermostat for baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

A more specific question here: My 240v baseboard heater says it can be wired with a single or double pole thermostat. Since 240v is already "dual pole" with two hots, do I want to stick with a double pole thermostat? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each? Thanks.

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

View more questions Search