Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kocur29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Emergency custody order due to the mother of my kids doing meth
    I have 5 kids with my ex, we weren't married, she has full custody till I take it to family court. Can't afford a lawyer right now. Their mother is doing meth, I have police reports stating this, and one states that the children were there when their mother came home high on meth, she beat up her mother because her mother wouldn't give her the child support card so she could go get more drugs. I got a call from child protection telling me to file an order for protection against their mother, and to try to not let the kids go back with their mother. I had them for that week, I filed the order, the judge said that it was neglect, not abuse, that there was nothing that I could do. I received a letter from child protection saying that their mother refused chemical health services, and that they were dropping the family assessment, obviously they're not going to do anything. The kids's mother has a purple box in her closet with needles and pipes, and possibly drugs. Their electricity has been shut off for 2 months, because all her money is going for meth rather than the bills, she doesn't work. I went to legal aid to see about filing for emergency custody, they told me that if it was an emergency child protection would have removed the kids. I can tell the kids are being effected, the oldest one who is 9 years old, knows her mom is doing drugs, she's becoming more and more w/drawn, there grades in school are going down. I don't have visitation, law in Minnesota says since we weren't married, the only right I have is to pay child support. I need to know how to go about filing for emergency custody myself, the court administrators say that a lawyer has to draw up the papers or I could do it myself, but don't know how to about doing this, any information would be greatly appreciated. THANKS MUCH.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Hello ko:

Given your situation, you're not going to get relief from the courts - certainly not in a timely fashion.

I'd get on the phone with CPS who aren't doing anything, and NOT GET OFF till they tell me they will. Or, I'd camp out at their offices. If what you say is true, they're negligent if they don't act.

Then, I'd hire a lawyer. I know you say you can't afford one, but you just made that up didn't you?? You have no idea whether you can afford a lawyer or not because you haven't even shopped for one, have you?? You just listen to rumor mills instead of finding out stuff for yourself...

The fact is, you CAN afford to hire a lawyer. You just may not want to.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emergency temporary custody [ 1 Answers ]

How to long does it take to get emergency temporary custody in Florida

Breaking Lease Due to Safety and Family Emergency [ 4 Answers ]

I have a one year lease with an apartment that I have been in since February 2007. In June and again now in August my car has been stolen from in front of the apartment, with police records. I also have a father in the final stages of COPD/Emphasema and have a letter from the DR stating that he...

Emergency Custody [ 15 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My husband and I are very frustrated at this point. He has two children with his ex. Her husband is abusive to her and them. This summer her family called us and told us that she planned to move to Virginia with the kids and her husband. Her mother finally convinced her to let her...

Brother not around his girlfriend and twins live with me, mother a meth addict [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My brother has gotten himself in trouble and as always in these circumstances the family suffers with the person convicted. I have moved my Brother's girl friend and their twins into my home due to thes circumstances. The girl friend is unable to support her self or two children. The...

Sibling restraining order due to manulipation of children? [ 6 Answers ]

My question is,, In California can I get a restraning order to keep my sister away from my children who are 11 & 14. She talksa to them about "how bad of a parent" I am, and tells them I can't afford the things they want because I am broke and at the moment disabled and not bringing in as much $$...

View more questions Search