Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heslane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Whining noise in minivan
    I have a whining noise underneath the hood of my minivan. The noise can only be heard when accelerating and stops when I let off the gas pedal. Please advise!:o
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Sounds like it's supercharged ! Anymore vehicle information you can give us? Make, model, year, engine??
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Using a mechanics stethoscope, or large handle screwdriver, should help you isolate the noise. Possibilities are serpentine belt, tensioner pulley, alternator, power steering pump, or water pump. Have someone increase engine speed, while you open the hood and listen.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 11, 2007, 08:05 PM
    It may be a bad timing belt. After 58k miles, I had the similar sound with my Dodge Caravan. My dealer diagnosed as bad timing belt. I need to have it done every 60k or so anyway so I did it. Afterwards, the noise went away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite Dryer Making Whining Noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer - 110.74982301 As soon as I start up the dryer there is a high pitched whining noise. The noises continues as the dryer runs and stops when the dryer is turned off. The dryer heats fine Sears wants $175 to come fix it but I am hoping a can do it myself! Any...

Odor from minivan A/C [ 2 Answers ]

We have a '97 Chrysler minivan. The last of the summer, the rear A/C started emitting a terrible odor, but the air still cools well:confused: . This literally happened overnight. Front air is fine, heat is fine, but the odor from the rear A/C is unbearable. What & where do I check?

Looking for a minivan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a mini-van that is economical and realiable. Could anyone recommend one.

94 Civic EX Distributor whining noise [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! When at idle, a whirring or 'rubbing' sound can be heard coming from the distrubutor harness. The sound comes and goes at idle, and may get loud. When moving, I don't hear it much. When the sound is heard, the distrubutor harness shakes somewhat. Power is good, no stalling,...

View more questions Search