Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dan meikle Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Netgear WGR614v5
    Why do I need to be connected to my net gear WGR614v5 wireless router with my internet cable, when I'm not connected to the router and try to search for wireless networks in range the computer tells me that windows cannot configure the wireless because of the programmes being run, this has only happen since I installed this router, please help me
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:16 AM
    The wireless router is the access point to the internet, this means that you should connect to the router through wireless or connect your cable to the router.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2007, 06:20 AM
    What exactly are you trying to do? Its not clear.

Sep 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
    I loaded my net gear wireless router on to my lap top, so I thought I could use my lap top wireless but at this stage I need to be linked to the to the router to get on the internet,when I unplug the internet cable from my comuter and try to pick up wireless signal windows says it cannot find wireless networks because of programmes loaded, so to recap for internet to work I have modem linked to wireless router and then I have internet cable from router to laptop, thanks Dan

Sep 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Ok, So you have your broadband modem connected to the router. That's the correct way and that has to be done. Now you are saying, you can't use the wireless adapter on your laptop to connect to the router wirelessly?

What have you done to configure the laptp to use the wireless connection?

Sep 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Ok, So you have your broadband modem connected to the router. That's the correct way and that has to be done. Now you are saying, you can't use the wireless adapter on your laptop to connect to the router wirelessly?

What have you done to configure the laptp to use the wireless connection?
    I used the set up disc that came with the router, when I tried to find my wireless connection this sis exactly what came up,
    Windows cannot configure this wireless connection
    If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection use this softwear

Sep 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
    What version of windows on the laptop. Why did you use the SETUP disk? Generally, that message means that something has already made and is managing the connection.

Sep 12, 2007, 11:50 AM
    What version of windows on the laptop. Why did you use the SETUP disk? Generally, that message means that something has already made and is managing the connection.
    Windows xp,

Sep 12, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Can I start again and reconfigure the wireless, if so how do I do it please

Sep 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Go to Control Panel, Under network connections delete all the wireless connections. Then reboot and start again. Just use the Network wizard in XP, not netgear's stuff.

Sep 12, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Go to Control Panel, Under network connections delete all the wireless connections. Then reboot and start again. Just use the Network wizard in XP, not netgear's stuff.
    Thank you

Sep 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
    I just reconfigured the lap top, now it is picking up wireless networks inculding my netgear one, but when t try to connect to it windows cannot connect to it, what have I done wrong

Sep 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
    You need to tell us exactly what you are doing. Did you run the wizard?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netgear mr814 wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I have set up my wireless router, and I cannot see it on the connections screen for my wireless laptop... I see plenty of other wireless routers, just not mine. Please help.

Netgear problems [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a router and for various reasons I had to tweak it, but, since I haven't logged in in so long, I forgot where I put the password, and had to reset the router - thinking it would be no problem just to reset the controls to the way I want them, since I knew the default password and all...

Netgear USB Adapter [ 1 Answers ]

I have two USB adapters and cannot get either to work. I know I may be a little dense. I am trying to link a Laptop (which has its own adapter) to my PC and thereby to my Printer, but I give up!!

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search