Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amishe800 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Tax return with married status , wife in India
    Hi ,

I am on H1 visa and will be going to India to get married in Dec2007. I will be returing in feb but my wife will join me In march. My question are as follows

1> I am getting married in last month of 2007 and also my wife not be coming to US in year 2007 , Will I be able to file Taxes for year 2007 as married jointly to get tax benefits.

2> If answer to above question is yes, what needs to be done so that I can initiate the same before she comes next march.

3>She is earning in India . Does jointly filing tax will mean her indian salary will be considered , if yes what is the process .

Thanks
    Amishe
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 01:49 PM
    1) Yes. Your marital status on 31 Dec 07 counts for the ENTIRE year.

2) Make a photocopy of her passport and get it certified by the U.S. consulate in India. Then, download and complete Form W-7 from Internal Revenue Service and have yor wife sign it. That way, you can apply for her ITIN when you file the joint return.

3) Yes, if you file jointly, her India-sourced income WILL be subject to U.S. taxes, but there will be a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) available to you.

Sep 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amishe800
    Hi ,

I am on H1 visa and will be going to India to get married in Dec2007. I will be returing in feb but my wife will join me In march. My question are as follows

1> I am getting married in last month of 2007 and also my wife not be coming to US in year 2007 , Will I be able to file Taxes for year 2007 as married jointly to get tax benefits.

2> If answer to above question is yes, what needs to be done so that I can initiate the same before she comes next march.

3>She is earning in India . does jointly filing tax will mean her indian salary will be considered , if yes what is the process .

Thanks
    Amishe
    Awesome , Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert.. will get back to you if I will need professional help at time of taxc filing.

Thanks Once again
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Glad to help!

Nov 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Hi ,

My situation is changed a little . I am currently on H1B visa but will be going to India in Dec and will not be coming back in year 2008 .

Do I need to be in US to file refund claim for my wife?

Secondly ,you suggested to file for ITIN of wife along with my tax return next year by filling W7 form but what I need to put in the column 6f in W7 form , which says enter ITIN as there is no option applied for... I am kind of confused .

Thirdly , IRs will send the ITIN In mail but I will not be having any address in USA at that time so how will I going to receive the same.

Fourthly , IRS says they send ITIN after 4 weeks, what I need to do the with the ITIN as I must have filed the returns by then .

Sorry for the big question but looking for your help.

Thx ,amishe
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Amishe:

When EXACTLY are you leaving, and HOW LONG have you been in the U.S. Critical dates that I need to know.

Field 6f needs to be completed ONLY IF you previously had an ITIN. If not, leave it blank.

The IRS WILL send the IRS to your foreign address, which they ask for in field #2.

Keep the ITIN in the event you and your wife come back to the U.S. I believe they are good indeifinitely if they are used to file federal tax returns. They go inactive after a set period of not being used.

Nov 30, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Hi ,

I came here in Jun 05 and filed taxes for year 05 and 2006. Now I want to go back this December and not have any immediate plans to come back .

I am getting married in Dec 07 so wanted to file the taxes for year 2007 as joint status.
    Now as my wife has never been to us she don't have any ITIN .

I will be applying for her ITIN along with my Tax return this year . I just need to know the process.

Thanks , Amishe
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Amishe:

If you want to file jointly with your wife, you must be present in the U.S. on 31 Dec 07.

Otherwise, you do NOT qualify for the First Year Choice filing option under which you can file jointly.

Sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Return Filing Status - Married H1B with Dependents Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on F1 two years ago. I graduated this summer and will start working in August 2007 under H1B. My wife and son spend most of the time back in home country and only come to the US occasionally. (A couple of months per year tops). Is it true that in this case, my US tax return...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Tax return. I am on H1B and My wife in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA for the full tax year 2006. My wife is in India and can't come here before April 15 which is the last day of filing Federal tax return(May be she will not join me in another 7-8 months). What will be the status of my tax return? What is the process to claim the tax...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

View more questions Search