Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honeybee66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Custody rights versus Paternity rights
    I will try to get this down in the most unconfusing way possible.
    My husband and his former wife, allegedly had a baby together, Baby X we will call her.
    My husband has paternity questions about the child, due to the fact he found the X-wife and his brother-in-law in bed together.
    Two years after the child's birth, they divorced, and my husband has sole custody of Baby X.
    We are in the process of getting a paternity test done privately.
    Our fears are that if it comes back that my husband is not the father, does he have to give the Baby X, (now 9 years old) to the paternal father or the biological mother?
    At the moment the father in question is in jail and the biological mother is not in a position to raise the child properly. However someday, someone in the family is going to tell this child who her real father supposedly is.
    My husband is listed on the birth certificate as father.
    What are his rights to this Child X, should it come back that there is no blood relation?
    We live in Illinois.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 11, 2007, 12:11 PM
    In many states, if the husband signs the because, unless its challenged at the time, the husband will be deemed the legal father. This is augmented by the fact that your husband was awarded custody in the divorce.

So, In my opinion, your husband is the child's father and no biology fact or court is going to change that.

Do you really need to go through a paternity test.

As for the child finding out, I think that at 9, he maybe old enough to have the facts explained to him. The person he knows as dad IS is father. There is no practical or legal question about that in my opinion. This other person was just a sperm donor.
    honeybee66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    In many states, if the husband signs the bc, unless its challenged at the time, the husband will be deemed the legal father. This is augmented by the fact that your husband was awarded custody in the divorce.

So, IMHO, your husband is the child's father and no biology fact or court is going to change that.

Do you really need to go thru a paternity test.

As for the child finding out, I think that at 9, he maybe old enough to have the facts explained to him. The person he knows as dad IS is father. There is no practical or legal question about that in my opinion. This other person was just a sperm donor.
    What does In my opinion mean?
    We just don't want the daughter to be shocked by the information being told to her from
    A stranger or other family member. At the same time we don't want to lose her, she is
    Precious to us and we are doing a good job with her.
    WE are concerned the mother might try to fight for custody, using his lack of biology against him. The child will talk to her mother about this for sure.
    M
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
    In My Humble Opinion

So don't do a paternity test and you won't have physical proof. I think, at this point, it would be too late for the mother to regain custody unless she can prove you and your husband are unfit.

Again, there is no question in my mind he is the legal father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult paternity rights [ 8 Answers ]

What rights does an adult have to leagally force the issue of establishing paternity? The father listed on the birth certificate it incorrect. If the adult child has no rights can a grandchild or great-grandchild force the issue, even if only for medical and corrected document reasons?

Adult paternity rights [ 3 Answers ]

I did a sibling study on my adult children and found out that my 23 year old son has a different father. We contacted the biological father and he is not willing to do a DNA test. My son birth certificate has my ex-husband name listed as his father. I did live together with my son biological father...

Legal rights/paternity [ 4 Answers ]

I found out I have a two y/o son recently. Mother says she got pregnant purposely to have sibling for older brother. She agreed to let me see him which I have regularly since I found out. I also established paternity through a blood test. Problem is, I want to see child more than mother wants me...

Paternity Rights [ 3 Answers ]

If the father does not sign the birth certificate, can and what rights does he have to the child?:confused:

Waiving paternity rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 5 years. We recently went through a difficult time in our relationship and he ended up having an affair. He and I have decided to stay together, we love each other very much and have 2 beautiful daughters together. The only thing wrong now is that the girl he...

View more questions Search