Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arigi14 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Mounting ceiling fans
    Hi, I bought a hampton bay ceiling fan. It's not a ceiling mount, but that ball n socket type of hanging fan. Does anyone know how short the shaft can be while still allowing it to swing with the little bit of 'wobble' that it needs. Floor to ceiling is 7'9''. Thanks
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Sep 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
    I think 4 inches is the shortest downrod available and should give plenty of clearance as long as your ceiling isn't a really strange pitch. Although a good properly installed ceiling fan should not wobble.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Sep 12, 2007, 10:35 AM
    I have have these type of fans in every room of my house and none of them wobble .it was my understanding that the ball in socket hangar simply allows the fan to hang level if your ceiling is pitched like mine are.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 12:28 PM
    The last fan I bought had an option not to use the bar to get the shortest distance to the ceiling, so the bar isn't a necessity and depends on model and slope of ceiling.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Some fans can be mounted without the downrod. If it needs the downrod, you can use the shortest one you can find as long as there's enough clearance to mount the canopy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fans [ 4 Answers ]

Trying to locate a wall switch for a ceiling fan.the switch is made by general electric,the number of the switch is 8794720 map 1.the fan it controls is called the quiet one

Ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hamilto bay ceiling fan with remote, I need the fan to go the other way around so the air will go down instead of up to the ceiling, There is a way to do it with the remote but I forgot. The remote has six bottons, two green ones that turns on/off up and down light. Three gray for the fan...

Mounting fan (Hampton Bay Windward II) on sloped ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having an electrician install this fan in my living room with a sloped ceiling (slopes from 1st floor to second - 45 degrees?). The electrician (who has NOT read the instructions ;) ) believes I need a different canopy cover, one with an elongated opening, due to the slope of my ceiling. From...

Ceiling fan mounting [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed many ceiling fans. But many now don't have the flush mount option. I have a Hampton Bay "Sauterne" model 54" fan. It does not have the flush mount option. The canopy and motor housing holes line up the same as a fan that has the flush mount option. My question is can I flush mount...

Ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to locate a company that sells 36inch ceiling fans with light kits and remotes if any body knows of such a company it would help me so much, I have been looking for weeks thank you 7555

View more questions Search