Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesse23532 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Fluorscent lighting in cold weather
    Does a fluorescent light work well in cold outdoor weather?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Not really well in my experience. I'm in the North east (cold winters) and the tubes in my shed take quite a while to 'come to' compared to summer. Once on and warmed up they throw the same amount of light though.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Anyone have any particular experience with the use of compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) in cold weather? If one uses them for outdoor lighting where the temp gets down to 0 or even below will that harm them? Or do they just perform poorly?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 08:55 AM
    I would assume the pressure of the gas decreases and that's why the poor performance, once it "warms up" the pressure goes back to normal.

From my understanding of how they work, I see no reason for there to be any permanent damage by the cold, but I don't have firsthand experience.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 11:06 AM
    I guess the issue with the cold would be the temperature cycling i.e. the glass and fluorescent paint would be subjected to lots of changes in pressure and temperature. That's probably the most common failure mode outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump and cold weather [ 18 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions about a heat pump. I guess I need to do a little explaining first. I have an American Standard air exchanger heat pump with electrical resistance backup. The system has the original mechanical thermostat with separate contacts for the compressor and for the...

Can't get the key out in cold weather - 95 Accord [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX (84K miles). I have a peculiar problem in very cold weather: I can't get the key out of the ignition when I the car in Park. :mad: None of the gear lights glow up even though the gear is clearly in Park position. If I wait just a minute or two (sometimes...

Working on cold weather [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Even when this question is not related to aviation technical issues, I'd like to ask to any A&P mechanic who have worked in cold weather conditions (24°F-35°F aprox) outside of a hangar, about what clothes are good to keep me warm enough to handle the cold when the job is outdoors,and at the...

Starter noise in cold weather [ 1 Answers ]

I would appreciate any feed back on the cause and cure of cold weather starter noise on my 1996 Maxima v6. It makes a funny sound initially ( as if it temporarily hangs and then is released) and then stops normally. Once the engine gets warm, it does not make the noise on successive starts. Never...

Sewerage smell when out side weather is cold [ 1 Answers ]

My bath room smell when out side tempture below 40F, like fall and winter, it is the sewer smell. When the weather is wormer the smell stopped I like to know why and how to solve the problem.

View more questions Search