Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JanDex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2005, 09:08 PM
    HP Freeze
    Hi, I'm having trouble with my computer freezing up after 10 min. running. I did a system recovery, but did not help. The problrm began when I was up and running online and I moved the computer an inch or two to hook up speakers to the back. The only way I can shut it off is to hold the start button until its off. I
    Have a hp pavilion 780n pentium 4. Can it be fixed? JanDex.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2005, 08:08 AM
    We need more info, what version of Windows, how much RAM, what are you doing when it freezes. Do you get any error messages?

Sep 19, 2005, 10:28 AM
    HP Freeze
    I'm using windows XP, and I have 512MB DDR SDRAM, 1.8GHZ, 120GB ULTRA DMA hard drive. I can do anything on my computer for about ten min.before it freezes. If I install something that takes longer it stops before the instalation is done. I have no error message, no keyboard or mouse response. I can open and close the DVD drives, but that is about all I can do. I can do a system recovery and it will complete that with no problem, I replaced the video and sound card last year. After a system recovery I can successfully install the software for the video card, but when I install the software for the sound card it freezes in the middle of installation.After I shut the power to it and restart, it will do anything but with only ten min. of use and then freeze. JanDex.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2005, 10:45 AM
    Have you done any virus or spyware scans? Have you done Error Checking or a Defrag recently (Right click on drive> Select Properties then Tools).

Sep 19, 2005, 11:02 AM
    HP Freeze
    My system does not need to defrag, I have two spyware programs I use, but I have no virus program or firewall. I tried a Norton program a few years back but it caused a lot of conflicting problems with most of my software I use. I could never get it to run right so I uninstalles it. I tried a few others but I don't know enough about that type of software to have any luck with. JanDex.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 19, 2005, 11:55 AM
    I'll assume you're on broadband?

Have you tried disconnecting the machine from your internet connection? Does this make any difference to the ten minutes?

If you aren't behind any kind of Firewall, you need to get one quick. Do you have the Windows XP firewall on?

Do you have automatic updates turned on? This could be trying to download and install software automatically and failing at the same point every time. To check go to Start -> Control Panel -> automatic updates (classic view) and check the settings.

Also, to check the hardware side of things, do you have another boot disk you can use? If so boot to this disk and see if the machine stays responsive for longer than the ten minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intermittent freeze up revisited... [ 6 Answers ]

To all: To summarize: the intake, the outflow, freon, etc. have been determined to be fine. I guess what I'm really trying to evaluate is the blower motor itself. It is a multi-speed type, although only 2 speeds are used (med & high). Has anyone experience a motor that intermittently doesn't...

Anti freeze leak [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 99' chrysler lhs leaking anti-freeze. Its not a slow leak, I am constantly adding more around once every other week. I can't figure it out where it is going. No puddles or spots, not in the oil, it's just disapearing. I have high miles (151k) and I am fearing the worst. Is it leaking into...

My Win Me freeze during start [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my computer freezes when I start my computer. When I open my computer it gives choices such as run windows in NORMAL, SAFE MODE... but when I do in any, it just hangs, with the win screen but no start bar and no shortcut. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me, please.

Computer freeze [ 3 Answers ]

Am using win xp, when I open start menu on my desktop and then for e.g. programs-accessories- system tools, or any other program comp freezes up,can only access task manager by using ctrl alt del,which shows nothing happening, moving cursor over this window brings up egg timer icon, then have to...

View more questions Search