Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Sep 10, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Is love a choice?
    Hi all. Please reply with your thoughts on this subject.
    We are having a debate with a friend {male} he says that love is a choice that you can pick who to love or not to love. He thinks love just don't happen that it's a choice.
    I said what about if you have a child that goes against every thing you have taught him and all of your beliefs, you can't just stop loving your own child. He said that is different.
    But he also thinks that you can make yourself stop loving someone, he said it's a mind set.
    Hmmmmmmmm What do you all think?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Yes I think it is a choice. If you stop nurturing the feeling it will cease to be. If it matters I am a female.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chiphkali
    good question but da guy is wrong
    a man can't stop loving his kids
    a man can't stop loving his parents n other relationships
    love is not a choice
    You're right chiphkali, it is a good question and very interesting.

I don't really know where I stand on this and I have to give it further thought.

However, some points to ponder;

A. Does "love" for children and family possibly have a connection to "primary preservation?"
    (Preservation of the species)

B. If the "A" above has any credence then is love for another something different? And possibly a choice?

C. "What really is love" has been a question for definition throughout the ages.

I'm not sure; I know when I am in love, as with my wife, but could it possibly be by choice, familiarity, emotional security, attractiveness, mutual affection, intelligence, kindness, etc?

Bear with me on some of the items in the above paragraph; just exploring.

Stringer (What happened to Da Bears?)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Sep 10, 2007, 09:58 PM
    The only choice in love is whether you express it or not, and what you do about it, and whether you let it affect you a lot.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
    I believe that you never know when you begin to love someone genuinely, the other night my husband asked when did I started loving hin and I could'nt answer him, I think love is a beautifull process and not a mindset :)
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Depends on the person, everyone's brain functions differently.
    Some of them are more practical, realistic, rational, computerlized,lol. More of a "BRAIN" person. For them love is a choice. I am a "brain" person, I think that love is a choice.
    Some of them are more emotional, following their hearts instead of their mind. More of a "HEART" person.
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Sep 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
    That is an interesting question. I do believe that love is a choice, tempered with environment, reciprocity, morality,and other factors. You can fall out of love with parents, children and spouses. As you can nurture those relationships also.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Nicespringgirl we change our minds so often, isn't it better to foliow our hearts than our minds?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Marily disagrees: True love is more than just a feeling #1. Do not tell me what love is. Who are you to disagree with me on the way I choose to feel about love. 2# This was an opinion based question the op asked for opinons and that is what I gave her.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    Nicespringgirl we change our minds so often, isnt it better to foliow our hearts than our minds?
    Life is never easy, you got to think, consult, research before you make decisions.
    What exactly did you mean by following your heart?
    Some people have been following their heart all through their life, and turned out it works for them.
    Ppl pick the way that makes sense to THEMSELVES.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    I believe that you never know when you begin to love someone genuinely, the other night my husband asked when did i started loving hin and i could'nt answer him, i think love is a beautifull process and not a mindset :)
    If your husband started beating you would you still love him?
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 10:43 AM
    We may not able to choose all the events and situations that occur in our lives, but we choose how we feel, react or respond to them(including love).

We can choose to accept. Flow and benefit from them.
    We can resist, reject and become bitter.
    We can choose to forgive or not to forgive.
    We can choose to love or we can choose not to.
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Sep 15, 2007, 09:40 PM
    I think a person's needs have a lot to do with it. Everyone needs loving social interaction. Fredrick II, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire once did an experiment where he had foster mothers suckle and bathe babies, but not talk to them or give them any attention. He wanted to see which language they would begin to speak. All of his labor went to waste though, since all of the babies died. Everyone needs love.

Some women need love so badly that they stay with violent husbands. Other people already have enough love from others (not necessarily romantic) so they can stop loving someone else easily.
    Business Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gallivant_fellow
    I think a person's needs have a lot to do with it. Everyone needs loving social interaction. Fredrick II, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire once did an experiment where he had foster mothers suckle and bathe babies, but not talk to them or give them any attention. He wanted to see which language they would begin to speak. All of his labor went to waste though, since all of the babies died. Everyone needs love.

Some women need love so badly that they stay with violent husbands. Other people already have enough love from others (not necessarily romantic) so they can stop loving someone else easily.
    Gallivant, I had never heard the story about Fredrick II; good point made.

Stringer
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 09:12 AM
    For me it is hard to stop loving and easy to love...
    My husband tells me I give too many people the benefit of the doubt. It is probably true, everyone deserves to be loved, just cause they screw up doesn't mean you can't love them. It may mean you can stop connecting with them. But loving them for what you knew them to be when you did connect with them, is a whole new thing. I usually don't love someone for the bad though if that makes sense, I started to love them when the good came out... I always remember the unconditional love thing.
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Sep 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Ok I have thought about this and my own conclusion is: WHo you love is not a choice, it is a feeling that happens and you can't control that. HOW you love and WHAT you do with it, IS a choice. So, even though you have feelings and love someone, when you don't WANT to, what you do or don't do with it, is completely our own choice. AT least in my mind..
    Business Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    For me it is hard to stop loving and easy to love....
    My husband tells me I give too many people the benefit of the doubt. It is probably true, everyone deserves to be loved, just cause they screw up doesn't mean you can't love them. It may mean you can stop connecting with them. But loving them for what you knew them to be when you did connect with them, is a whole new thing. I usually don't love someone for the bad though if that makes sense, I started to love them when the good came out......I always remember the unconditional love thing.
    Start: When I first began reading some of the posts I noticed your answers--the world needs more people like you and Firm. You are definite assets.

Remember my Mom? Again I am going to quote her. When I was going through hell in my first marriage-in the beginning of the trouble, she told me;

"If you love someone, you love them. When they betray you, or your love, or just do something you don't like or appreciate;"

"You still love them. Love IS NOT a 'light switch." "You need to say to them; I still love you, but I don't like what you did and how you acted; remember You earned my love; but I am not at all happy with your actions."

Stringer
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Sep 18, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Yes, yes Stringer, people we love aren't always who we need them to be and they often disappoint us. WE cannot turn off our feelings but sometimes our minds and our egos push people away that hurt us... We choose how to handle our love for others and sometimes it isn't always the right way. Your mom was right, you don't stop loving someone, even when they don't deserve it. BUT, I don't always give it out so openly once my heart has been trampled on.. It stays inside and I protect it from being hurt again..
    So, I make the choice to show how I feel, or don',t but the love I have does remain within me. REGARDLESS.
    Michelle0410 Posts: 62, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Let's think about it this way, love is a choice when its among, say two different subjects... You choose the subject you "want" to love, your choice right? However the other "subject" doesn't cease to exit your mind/heart (which ever you want to argue that is more relevant to follow) So does that leave love to being a choice, you had made your choice?? But your heart/mind was telling you something different!
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Sep 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Paternal or Maternal love disregarded, love is choice.

Attraction is NOT a choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I make the right choice? [ 5 Answers ]

So yesterday at 4 my girlfriend called me. She said "i'm sorry" I said for what? She said you'll find out in a few hours... so I make her tell me what she's sorry for. And she makes me promise not to try and do anyhting about it to just let it happen. So she tells me she's in her garage with the...

Is being gay a choice? [ 132 Answers ]

Ok I already know the answer to this one because I am gay. I just want to see what others think. There is no way that being gay is a choice. I would have never chosen this for myself. I would have wanted to fit in and be like everyone else. That is what all kids want. I am 18 now and have known I...

Age choice [ 21 Answers ]

At what age can you choose your leagal gardian if something were to happen to your parents?:confused:

Giving the choice [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, listen I've decided to go for something a little different for this question so here goes. OK picture the scene, you've split up, you still love her/him and can't stand the thought of being without your loved one, giving the choice would you... Enter a virtual environment where...

Multiple choice [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this question? Which of the following would be classified in a different major section of a balance sheet from the others? a. Capital stock. b. Common stock subscribed. c. Stock dividend distributable. d. Stock investment in affiliate.

View more questions Search