Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherylcook Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Parental rights
    I have a child that lives in Texas. The mother doesn't have full guardianship over the child because of drug issues, CPS placed the child with a relative. I'm not even possitive that the child is mine, but I signed the birth certificate. I moved to a different state and I'm wanting to sign over my parental rights. Can I do this without going to court? Or how can this be done.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
    You cannot sing over rights unless there is someone willing to adopt the child in your place. By signing the birth certificate you acknowledged and accepted that child as yours.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
    You can sign over your rights, but you will still have to pay child support unless there is a new partner for your ex who is going to adopt.

Also in many states if you do not challenge the birth certificate in a certain amount of time, you can't. In ohers you can

But you will have to go to court no matter what
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Terminating parental rights is a serious business and will not be taken lightly. It MUST be done through a court. What you should be doing is having a paternity test done to determine first if the child is yours. Then proceed from there.

But if you are looking to relinquish your rights to get out of child support, forget it. The courts won't allow it.
    sherylcook Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    You cannot sing over rights unless there is someone willing to adopt the child in your place. By signing the birth certificate you acknowledged and accepted that child as yours.

Thank you to all that responded. I'm not trying to get out of paying child support at all. IF the child is mine, I accept all responsibilities. But, from the time she was 2 months, the mother didn't let me even see her. Only to say, that I COULD see her if I brought her some drugs. I refused to do that. Since CPS is involved in their lives, She doesn't have total custody. She did inform me that the child has a new "daddy" in her life. Living 500 hundred miles away from them, its difficult for me to know what to do. I had at one time, thought I would take custody of the child but, knowing that I'm only 20 and still living with parents because of having epilepsy, it wouldn't be a wise Ideal. I'm not financially able to take care of this child. The relationship between the mother and I ended a long time ago, and like I said before she has since found someone else. I know I made a mistake by signing the birth certificate, not knowing for sure if the child was mine, but at the time, hoping she was. There are 4 other possible fathers. So, I guess what first needs to be done, Is a paternity test, and then go on from there.
    Thank You all.
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 10:18 AM
    What is the point in signing over the rights? Even if you try the first thing they are going to do before any legal proceeding involving this child and yourself is a DNA test to determine the truth of the matter, so you might as well do that, and THEN decide if what you want to do. But if the find she is yours, the court will in force child support upon you. You're better off not knowing or worrying about it if you aren't intrested in seeing the girl anyway. What differnce does it make?
    NoEarnedIncome Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherylcook
    I have a child that lives in texas. The mother doesn't have full guardianship over the child because of drug issues, CPS placed the child with a relative. I'm not even possitive that the child is mine, but i signed the birth certificate. I moved to a different state and I'm wanting to sign over my parental rights. Can I do this without going to court? Or how can this be done.
    First look do get a DNA test done such that you only have the answer - if possible. In the situation you have described you do need to know if you are or are Not the father. If you aren't the Father than be prepared to walk away. If you are then you can make decisions later as to what you want and can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiancé who has 4 children all togther. 2 of which he pays child suppport for and the other 2 kids belong to us. The 2 he pays for are by different mothers. He sees one of the kids all the time but the other one he has not seen since I believe it was may of last year. He pays for this...

Parental rights [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question about giving up parental rights. I am divorced for nearly 10 years now and my 2 oldest live with their father... in Colorado now I think. ( They move alot):mad: Anyway, for 2 years him and his new wife would constantly ask me to give up my rights so that she can adopt them. I...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

What responsibilities do you lose when relinqishing parental rights?

Parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am wondering if I give up my parental rights to my child if I still have to pay child support in the state of Missouri. Reason for asking is since my child's birth in 95 I have only seen him once on his third birthday and every time I find out where they live they move so I can never have...

View more questions Search