Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 17, 2005, 02:48 PM
    US Citizenship
    I was born in Germany, my father a US soldier, mother a german. My dad acknowledged me in my birth registration documentation, but since I was born here in the 50's and they were not married I received automatic german citizenship. Later my mom married a US citizen and we got stationed in Japan before he had the chance to adopt me in Georgia. I also married a US Soldier but am divorced now. I have a 'green card' and still have a social security card, but am still a german, unfortunately. Everyone else to include my daughter, in my remaining family (two brothers) are US Citizens. Is there a law specific regarding my type of case stating what I can do to receive citizenship without having to pay thousands of dollars? I would like to live with my brother in Nevada and not just visit, and I don't think my present immigration card is valid anymore since I am no longer married. I do not want to spend my last years here in my mother's country which I never liked. My dad is from Kentucky and I've had no luck finding him or anything about him as at that time there were no social security numbers in the military just 'RA' numbers and I don't know that. I really would appreciate any help you can provide, as NCIS and the US Consulate in Frankfurt did not do much for me so far. Is there such as thing as right by 'blood'? I went to only US schools and worked for the military here in Germany and other jobs in California all my career life. Now I just want to live in peace with my brother in my father's country..
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2005, 01:45 PM
    Citizenship
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    I was born in Germany, my father a US soldier, mother a german. My dad acknowledged me in my birth registration documentation, but since I was born here in the 50's and they were not married I received automatic german citizenship. Later my mom married a US citizen and we got stationed in Japan before he had the chance to adopt me in Georgia. I also married a US Soldier but am divorced now. I have a 'green card' and still have a social security card, but am still a german, unfortunately. Everyone else to include my daughter, in my remaining family (two brothers) are US Citizens. Is there a law specific regarding my type of case stating what I can do to receive citizenship without having to pay thousands of dollars? I would like to live with my brother in Nevada and not just visit, and I don't think my present immigration card is valid anymore since I am no longer married. I do not want to spend my last years here in my mother's country which I never liked. My dad is from Kentucky and I've had no luck finding him or anything about him as at that time there were no social security numbers in the military just 'RA' numbers and I don't know that. I really would appreciate any help you can provide, as NCIS and the US Consulate in Frankfurt did not do much for me so far. Is there such as thing as right by 'blood'? I went to only US schools and worked for the military here in Germany and other jobs in California all my career life. Now I just want to live in peace with my brother in my father's country..
    How did you obtain a social security card??

mr.yet
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 18, 2005, 11:47 PM
    Real easy, I lived and worked in Orange County, California, and also in Georgia, at Fort Stewart, where my daughter was born. I even had a California Driver's license. I am from a family of Americans,just unfortunate enough to have german citizenship. My immigration card port of entry in the 70's was Houston, Texas. As a child, we were stationed in Japan for three years where my brothers were born. Went to school in Hinesville, GA when I was 5-6 years old - my dad was stationed there and that's where he wanted to adopt me, but we flew to Japan before the circuit judge arrived. So, I lost out there - just as in many other things in life because my mother did not care a bit for me. If there is any other information you need, let me know. My mother threw all my school documents away and this was within in a 20 year span, so I don't know if records of this are anywhere, I had to use my husband's SSAN all the time as he was in the military, so I don't remember my SSAN and cannot find the card (moved too many times), but it was issued in California and I did pay taxes too.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2005, 04:23 AM
    Social security card
    On your card application did you list yourself as a german? On taxes forms are you a non-resident filer.

If your search the web site for the rules for ss benefits, there may be a loop hole for you. I will look also. Get back to you soon

mr.yet
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 19, 2005, 04:49 AM
    It has been so long that I don't remember how I filed for taxes. All I know that it was in Westminster, California, a part of Orange County. I was married then and worked in several places - for a doctor, Loyd Nolan Catalog Company, and a collection agency in Annaheim. Unfortunately, I no longer have the paperwork, as when we moved to Fort Stewart, and I kept a lot of stuff in storage there, my husband got rid of all papers and furniture after our divorce - a way of paying me back for leaving him 5 years later after he beat me. I do remember that it was in 1975 and that the number starts with 222 on the SSAN - at the time I was a legal immigrant - but after the divorce I no longer 'reported' where I was every year, although I can prove that I worked for the US Gov. here in germany as a german employee, though. I think I paid regular taxes with a W-2 form in California, if that helps. Thanks for your effort, this is more than anyone else has done and I really appreciate this. I will go through my papers here and see if I have anything else that might help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Us citizenship [ 5 Answers ]

If I am a french citizen working in the Us with out us citizenship and I marry a us citizen do I become an american citizen?

Citizenship [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I am 26 yrs of age, Both my parents have a portuguese passports and also ID cards. How do I go about attain a passport before I get married?? This year?? I live in dubai and the nearest consulate is in Saudi Arabia and they are very slow. I WAS BORN IN DUBAI AND I HAVE LIVED HERE...

Citizenship.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering what it takes to get a citizenship to greece. If you help me out that'd be great. Thanks. :)

Us citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

Hi!I'm 21 years old and I'm french! I came here with a visa for 1 year as a nanny.my year is almost over and I have to go back to france. But I'm getting married at the end of January! And even with the marriage it s seems hard for me to come back here! I need help with how to be a citizen, what I...

Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My father was a journeyman and he lived in the Republic Of The Marshall Islands (it used to be part of a US territory), anyway, I was born back in 1972. He forgot to claim me as a US citizen born abroad. I am now 29 years old. I've lived in the US for over 10 years. My question to you is, can I...

View more questions Search